Brewer Fanatic

Caleb Gindl

homer
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

He's small. He's little. He's wee. How big a hindrance is that to his development? Is there any point of reference for a power hitting outfielder that's 5'9" (but from what I've heard is probably more like 5'7")? I know Giles is the typical comparison, but he's listed at 5'10" and his numbers below AAA were not all that great (in fact, I was surprised at how pedestrian they were which makes me wonder if his development was somehow artificially aided - but that's another thread).

Are there any other MLB corner outfielders below 5'9" that developed power?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I can't remember if Mel Ott played a corner spot or CF, but he and Kirby Puckett would be examples of sub-5'9" OFs that had significant power. For a current comparison, Jason Kubel might be a fair expectation. He's listed at 5'11" but I've heard that is a generous listing.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

5' 9" will not be a problem for Caleb. I watched him here all season, and he will be fine. He is very young (turned 20 on August 31) and very intense! He does the little things that will make a successful big leauger....takes the extra base, looks to throw everybody out, works really hard. He has a gun for an arm....could've been drafted as a pitcher out of high school, but he told teams he wanted to play everyday. Has a lot of pop in his bat, but tries to pull everything. As the season progressed and he started going the other way more, the BA and the HR totals both went up. Very hard worker, and actually very quick. I think he could steal a lot more bases also, but he is very selective of when he goes. I think he was hindered a little bit this year in that they always made him take on a 3-0 count...the entire season. I think partly that was responsible for his high strikeout rate in that after going down 3-1, you want to swing at the next one which he oftern fouled off....now your 3-2 and in the SAL you have to protect the plate due to the umpiring. I think if he continues to play the way I see him, height won't be a problem.http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/3d1356ad9270799aea4fc5bcee3782a4a7bf6f9.jpg

I thought Gindl was pictured before as being A/A....

Anyway, he can still be a great player at 5-7, 5-9, whatever. However, because so few regulars in the majors are that small, it's common sense to downgrade him and expect less than if he were 6-2.

It may not be fair, but Doug Flutie played his peak years in Canada before having some nice years well past his prime in the US. Small guys gotta do more to get the same chance.

I don't see height as being an issue for a hitter - if anything else, it provides for a smaller strike zone and thus with good discipline you can take a lot of walks. I think half of Rickey Henderson's walks (and thus steals) were due to his crouched batting stance, which made the strike zone ridiculously small.

In general, shorter legs make it harder to run as fast, so he may not have the range in the OF as others, but it sounds like he is athletic enough to make up for it.

My question this offseason with Gindl is that because none of the Brevard OFs did anything to warrant a promotion, will he skip right over A+ to AA? Unlikely, but it is possible.

5' 9" will not be a problem for Caleb. I watched him here all season, and he will be fine
I really enjoy reading your first hand accounts - but you always have such a positive spin on everything.

Are there any players that played in WV that you didn't like? Or thought were overrated?

I am very careful about what I say in a negative spin, because it doesn't get taken very well sometimes on this board. Case in point my comments earlier this year on Jonathan Lucroy who I wasn't a big fan of during his time here. I generally comment on the kids that we have done host duty for that I feel have the talent, at least from what I've seen over the years, and that I have spent a lot of time watching. Those guys over the last couple years have been Zach Braddock, who I am certain has the talent but has to be healthy, Caleb, and Rob Bryson now with the Indians. As far as guys discussed here that I haven't been real impressed with that have been bantied about a bit lately outside of Lucroy, I wasn't all that impressed by Taylor Green. I am also not a big Mike Ramlow fan who we have had for multiple years here, and figured he was just a solid A pitcher, but he was strong here during the playoffs, and is having a nice winter in Hawaii, so maybe I'm wrong there. Caleb is one that has to mature, but I believe it was mentioned to him that if he put up numbers n Hawaii, he might get a shot at a double bump in the spring, but he has struggled a little there also so we'll see. Let's just say, I go by the old parental addage if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all, or the experts will hand you your head!

It was 80 years ago, but wasn't Hack Wilson like 5'4"? People in general were shorter then though, so I don't know how far below average that was at the time.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about size until Gindl proves he can't do something. If he keeps hitting, there's no problem. Salome is listed 2" shorter and he's kept hitting so far. I don't see why lack of height would really be an inherent detriment (except at 1st base, maybe). If anything, maybe they can be like Rickey Henderson (5"10", 297 homers) and really take advantage of their smaller strike zones.

Eric Fryer is another one of my favorites. Defensively he is solid but not spectacular. He did make good strides in playing out from behind the plate this year which was nice. Offensively he has some pop on his bat that the only player I could compare to him in the last 4 years was Ryan Braun! Is he Ryan Braun, no, but the ball certainly jumps off his bat at times, especially when he went one his mid-season run where he ran his average up this year. I saw him hit a broken bat laser beam homerun to left this year that was absolutely amazing. If he continues to improve, he should be a solid big leaguer some day.

Archived