Brewer Fanatic

MLB Front Office Manager (new video game coming)

Invader3K

Surprised there wasn't a thread about this yet. Seems like the kind of game a lot of people on this forum could get into, especially if it ends up being well done.

"2K Sports announced today that they will be publishing MLB Front Office Manager. The game will allow players to perform trades, signings and releases like a real-life baseball GM, taking a team from spring training through the World Series. Oakland Athletics' GM Billy Beane will offer advice to players in the game."

http://www.gamedaily.com/...-manager-announced/?biz=1

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I also really, really like playing GM/owner mode in most games, but it was nice to have the option of actually playing a game every now and again. EA tried to do this with NFL Head Coach and it failed pretty miserably. Hopefully this one is better but I doubt I'll be buying it. I can do all the same stuff in MLB The Show, but actually play the games.

It depends how realisitc the management options are. You CAN do them in other games but I often get frustrated at the silly trade offers I get. No, I'm not giving you Manny Parra for Henry Blanco. Or making trade offers that are very realisitic when you consider a players talent, upside, and contractual situation only to have them turn it down. Or the opposite, they make it too easy by accepting trades that would never happen. Like giving up a young, cheap, talented player for Craig Counsell or Mike Rivera because their overall bar is currently better.

Sorry, I'm done ranting about stupid video game trades.

I agree that NFL Head Coach was lame. Good concept, but lame. This game certainly sounds like its MLB counterpart, but I'd at least give it a chance, since EA did the NFL game & this is a 2K Sports release. I really like the 2K College Hoops game on 360, and largely because its 'administrative duties' aspect is quite well-done (recruiting, etc.).

I'll echo sbrylski & agree with him a million times over: OOTP is the way to go if this is what interests you in terms of gaming. I never would have guessed that I'd enjoy OOTP so much -- I played tons of console baseball (The Show is my hands-down favorite), and just never realized there was something better (imo) out there.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• 1 month later...
Might as well just get OOTP. Way more customizable, and almost surely more in-depth with more accurate statistical models.
I forgot I have you to blame when I'm out at dinner and hear "I have to get home to export." http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Might as well just get OOTP. Way more customizable, and almost surely more in-depth with more accurate statistical models.
I was thinking about trying out a computer GM sim baseball game. Is OOTP widely considered the best baseball management game? Are there any really close alternatives that are free? I'm looking for a game that you can just play by yourself, without having to compete with other people online. Thanks.

I was thinking about trying out a computer GM sim baseball game. Is OOTP widely considered the best baseball management game? Are there any really close alternatives that are free? I'm looking for a game that you can just play by yourself, without having to compete with other people online. Thanks.

It probably depends on what you're exactly looking to do. For the most realism and customization, especially for historical or historical fiction simming, OOTP is way better, but can be a bit tedious in order to offer all its features. Mogul, though I haven't played in a few versions, is definitely the simpler of the two, but lacks simple things like player fatigue. Their simulation model is also a bit querky, I hear, much more video game baseball like. OOTP's isn't perfect yet, but its much more realistic.

You can play either game solo. If you're just looking for something to take a break with, go Mogul, but if you want immersion and realism, go OOTP.

EDIT: And btw, OOTP 9 (most recent version) is selling for just $25 until January 1st - a $15 dollar discount.

EDIT 2: In short, yes, OOTP is considered the cream of the crop.

EDIT: And btw, OOTP 9 (most recent version) is selling for just $25 until January 1st - a $15 dollar discount.

EDIT 2: In short, yes, OOTP is considered the cream of the crop.

I've never played OOTP before but really want to pick up a copy after reading about it here and checking out their website. Should I get OOTP 9 for cheap or will there be an OOTP 10 coming out shortly after New Year's that I should just be patient and wait for?

Does anyone know if there is "OOTP" type game for football? NFL Head Coach wasn't that great, as I was more interested in building the franchise than I was running my team through individual practices. I like running a franchise in Madden, where I focus most of my time on offseason, and sim the actual regular season, but would like something a little more in depth.
Gruber Lawffices

I will agree about OOTP being the best baseball GM sim on the market. There are tons of things you can do with it.

However, if you want the best simulation of the game of baseball (i.e. historical season replays, etc.) then Diamond Mind Baseball has it beat. The engine they use in their game is the engine that many baseball historians and news outlets use for simulating upcoming real-life seasons/series/games/etc. Heck, the Boston Red Sox even hired the game's designer to work for them, they were so impressed with the accuracy of the game engine. I've tried OOTP and the GM stuff was fun but the way it played games was too unrealistic to me. Season replays were not all that accurate.

So, if you want to run a team as a general manager, yes OOTP is definitely the number one choice for you. Diamond Mind, though, will sim the game of baseball most realistically. There's little in GM business in DMB, though, so you wouldn't enjoy it if you want to handle a team's GM duties.

/shameless plug for DMB

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Should I get OOTP 9 for cheap or will there be an OOTP 10 coming out shortly after New Year's that I should just be patient and wait for?

New versions typically come out every year in April/May, I believe. Version 10 doesn't seem close to ready yet, looks like they're still taking suggestions on the forum. I'd take the deal.

Should I get OOTP 9 for cheap or will there be an OOTP 10 coming out shortly after New Year's that I should just be patient and wait for?

New versions typically come out every year in April/May, I believe. Version 10 doesn't seem close to ready yet, looks like they're still taking suggestions on the forum. I'd take the deal.

Sorry to keep asking questions, but do the game "patches" include roster updates? Like, would you have to wait until the new version comes out to have Sabathia be on the Yankees roster by default, or can you get everything up-to-date with OOTP 9's latest patch?

• 2 weeks later...
Just thought I'd throw this out there, but the Feb. 2009 issue of PC Gamer magazine has the FULL version of Baseball Mogul 2009 included on this month's DVD. Nice bonus to this month's issue! I'll probably try it out and dink around with it.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

There is, its called Front Page Sports Football and it hasn't been made in over a decade.
FPS Football '96 is still my second favorite football game of all time, next to Tecmo SuperBowl. Their baseball game was a favorite of sim leagues before OOTP, too.

OOTP has been expounded on enough by Sam already, so I'll just quietly add my vote for best baseball sim out there.

I'm just getting started in a new league using OOTP 9 (I'm in two other OOTP 6.5 leagues already), and am anxious to see how it 'plays'. I'm optimistic that they've fixed many of the obnoxious 6.5 glitches without losing too many positive attributes.

Is anyone familiar with both 6.5 & 9 that would like to share some of the plusses & minuses of going to v.9?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived