Brewer Fanatic

Badger Hockey

logan82
  • Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man, yet another lead in the third period that gets blown. Pretty amazing how many times the Badgers have lead in the third period this year, only to end up with either a tie or a loss. Come time for NCAA Tournament bids and the Badgers likely missing out, they'll have to look back and cringe at all these games early in the season that they simply couldn't close out.

One or two more big ten teams with hockey programs and we would be big ten hockey instead of WCHA. Personally I think that would kind of suck because I like the WCHA, but it would be nice to get better coverage.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

The conference setup is kind of whacky as it is. I would think we should be in the same conference as Michigan, Michigan St, and Ohio St since we play them in every other sport. Teams like Denver and Colorado College can scram and find their own conference.
That would be nice and all but there is no way that I am giving up playing UND every year- big rivalry and storied program. And besides- those other teams would fight so hard to keep UW and minnesota in the conference because of the money that they bring in.

Edit- and we play Michigan and MSU every year anyways

I really like the teams in the WCHA. CC, Denver,and North Dakota(not to mention Minnesota and Wisconsin) have good teams almost every year and give the WCHA huge national credibility. I like the tradition. I like that it isn't the Big Ten.

I think they would only need one more Big Ten team to have Big Ten hockey. I believe that you need 6 teams to make a conference in Division I hockey. There are currently Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. It sounds like Penn State has a hockey program but it isn't Division I.

One prominent figure in the hockey community thinks any talk of forming a Big Ten conference for hockey should be quickly laid to rest, because of the impact it would have on the teams that were left out. "It would be the death of college hockey," said former Badger coach Jeff Sauer.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I wholeheartedly disagree that there should be a Big Ten hockey conference. There's no reason for it.

There are rivalries that already exist in the WCHA and have for decades. Those shouldn't be forsaken merely because people like the idea of the Big Ten and want hockey to fit in that "box."

That would be nice and all but there is no way that I am giving up playing UND every year- big rivalry and storied program. And besides- those other teams would fight so hard to keep UW and minnesota in the conference because of the money that they bring in.
Yeah I agree with the UND comment. I don't want a Big Ten conference for Hockey, but I'd like to have Michigan, Mich St, and Ohio State in our conference. This would be the perfect conference:

Minnesota

Minnesota State

Michigan

Michigan State

Ohio State

Minnesota-Duluth

Minnesota-St. Cloud

Wisconsin

North Dakota

Notre Dame

Then throw out Denver, CC, Michigan Tech, and Alaska-Anchorage and have them join conferences that make better geographic sense. Also, why wouldn't the 2 Alaska teams be in the same conference? It would be nice not to have to travel 3,000 miles for every road game.

Then throw out Denver, CC, Michigan Tech, and Alaska-Anchorage and have them join conferences that make better geographic sense. Also, why wouldn't the 2 Alaska teams be in the same conference? It would be nice not to have to travel 3,000 miles for every road game.
The thing is, there isn't a more sensical geographical conference for those teams. There aren't any college teams west of Denver and CC except for the two Alaska teams. MN and WI are the western most states with hockey teams for them.

I think the reason they split up the Alaska teams was to even out the increased travel costs to 18 different teams instead of 8. If those other 8 teams in the conference had to make 2 trips to AK every year, it would cost them considerably more than any other teams in the nation (except the two AK teams).

The thing is, there isn't a more sensical geographical conference for those teams. There aren't any college teams west of Denver and CC except for the two Alaska teams. MN and WI are the western most states with hockey teams for them.

I think the reason they split up the Alaska teams was to even out the increased travel costs to 18 different teams instead of 8. If those other 8 teams in the conference had to make 2 trips to AK every year, it would cost them considerably more than any other teams in the nation (except the two AK teams).

The Alaska schools pay for the opponents travel

Why wouldn't this work?

Colorado College

Denver

AA

AF

Nebraska-Omaha

Michigan Tech

Miami

Western Michigan

Northern Michigan

Ferris State

Bowling Green

Superior

Those schools would lose out on a ton of money by not playing games against big-name schools, so they would not vote in favor of this realignment.

See that's where you get into problems with assuming the Big Ten and looking at conference issues.

Look at how many schools that are maybe D3 in other sports have D1 hockey teams.

Minnesota-Duluth

Michigan Tech

St. Cloud State

Superior

Ferris State

Directional Michigan teams

Bemidji State

In addition, the more looming issue for conferences in hockey right now is the likely dissolving of the CHA that will leave Robert Morris, Alabama-Huntsville, Bemidji State and Niagara without a conference home.

The rumors currently swirling say Nebraska-Omaha will leave the CCHA and Ala-Huntsville will go there. Bemidji and Neb-Omaha, geographically, make the most sense for the WCHA and Niagra and Robert Morris have reportedly already applied to be part of the AHA.

The current CHA, with it's four teams, gets an automatic NCAA tournament bid for it's winner, despite the fact that their RPI is often much lower than other teams that get left out.

Archived