Brewer Fanatic

Badger Hockey

logan82
  • Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at the Ads game Saturday night and took a bunch of pics of Geoffrion. You can see them here: http://scores.espn.go.com...300415116&photoId=583975

Also, the Ads twitter feed said Blake got boarded pretty hard and left tonight's game, but I haven't heard anything more.

Lastly, Michael Davies was signed by the AHL affiliate of the Rangers. He was an undrafted player, so I'm glad he got picked up.

http://www.stamfordadvoca...t-goalies-big-448692.php\

Good for him, I watched the Gamblers quite a bit when he was the coach up here and I was pleased when he was added to the staff at UW.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Looks like we lost every player that was brought up as a possible loss.

July 6, 2010

MADISON, Wis. -- Defenseman Ryan McDonagh (Arden Hills, Minn.) agreed to a contract with the New York Rangers

on Tuesday, becoming the fifth Wisconsin Badger men's hockey player to

sign an NHL contract since the completion of the 2009-10 collegiate

season.

McDonagh, who leaves school with one year of eligibility remaining, joins graduate Blake Geoffrion (Nashville) and three underclassmen - forward Derek Stepan (New York Rangers), defensemen Cody Goloubef (Columbus) and Brendan Smith (Detroit) - as Badgers who have signed NHL contracts this offseason.

Wisconsin's

would-be captain for next season, McDonagh is a two-time WCHA

All-Academic Team member, as well as a member of the 2008 WCHA

All-Rookie Team and the 2010 All-WCHA Second Team. An assistant captain

his sophomore season and tri-captain his junior season at Wisconsin, he

was also voted the team's Fenton Kelsey Jr., Most Competitive Player

both years.

A member of the 2010 NCAA West Regional

All-Tournament Team, he skated for Team USA at the 2009 International

Ice Hockey Federation World Junior Championship.

Known as a

shut-down defenseman, McDonagh proved a man among boys on occasion

during his college days, getting called for penalties simply because of

his exceptional strength. He finishes his Badger career with 14 goals

and 46 points in 119 career games. He posted four goals and 18 points in

43 games in 2009-10, helping the Badgers reach the 2010 NCAA Frozen

Four championship game. He also chipped in two power-play goals and one

game-winning tally.

McDonagh was originally drafted 12th overall

by the Montreal Canadiens in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, but was traded to

the New York Rangers on June 30, 2009 along with Chris Higgins, Doug

Janik and Pavel Valentenko for Scott Gomez, Tom Pyatt and Mike Busto.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.uscho.com/news...ityProgramsontheWay.html

Interesting article I read just now on uscho.com. It looks like Penn St is officially adding hockey as a varsity sport in 2012-13, and will play as an independent for two seasons before joining a conference. They didn't mention what conference they will join, but it mention that the Big 10 now has 6 schools with varsity hockey, which is the minimum number of schools required to start a conference. It's hard to imagine a conference with only six teams, but I think it would be awesome to see a Big 10 conference for hockey. I wonder how strongly, if at all, they are considering doing this. I suppose they could always allow a few other teams in, but really the only school I can imagine they'd even consider letting it would be Notre Dame.

Community Moderator
I think a B10 hockey conference would be great. The conference might not be the best at the beginning, but it can broadcast on the B10 network and eventually make enough noise to get a few more schools to add hockey. Maybe it is possible to invite some of the other WCHA schools into the B10 hockey conference?

A Big Ten hockey conference with North Dakota, CC and Denver would be very tough. I would hope they at least bring North Dakota with them. I really like the WCHA and am not to enthusiastic about a B10 hockey conference. It would be nice to see the Badgers on TV more though. Of course last year we got to watch women's volleyball instead of B10 hockey teams matching up.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I don't see the point of a "Big Ten" conference if non-big ten teams are in there. Even with only 6 teams, you could play every team in a home and home series. That gives you 20 games. You'd have to add in a few extra non-conference games to complete the schedule, but I suppose it's doable. Maybe a holiday tournament every year with former WCHA schools to preserve some of the rivalries. I'd still like to see another Big 10 school or two to add varsity hockey though. Illinois currently has a club team that is in the same league as Penn State's club team, so I'd guess they'd be the best bet. Indiana I think has a club team too. I'd also guess that if there is an actual Big Ten hockey conference Illinois and Indiana would be more likely to field a D1 team.

Six teams is just too small to me for a conference. The smallest conference in D-I hockey is Hockey East which has 10 teams. The WCHA has 28 conference games so a two game series with all 11 teams plus a second series with three more teams.

How is a 28 game conference schedule going to work in a six team Big Ten Hockey Conference? You would basically need to play 5 games against the other five teams plus three more games, most likely against one game against three more teams. It's not like you would be able to schedule a ton of non conference home games either, because those teams wouldn't have a complete conference schedule then.

There needs to be at least 8 teams for a Big Ten Hockey Conference to work imo and I don't see any other teams that would join hockey. Illinois, Northwestern, Indiana, Purdue, Nebraska and Iowa are the options? Does anyone see any of those schools introducing hockey? The most likely imo would be Nebraska.

If they want to do something, change conferences so they make more sense. All six Big Ten schools with hockey teams join a conference and add teams like North Dakota, Miami, Denver and Notre Dame or something like that.

If they want to do something, change conferences so they make more sense. All six Big Ten schools with hockey teams join a conference and add teams like North Dakota, Miami, Denver and Notre Dame or something like that.

North Dakota

Miami

Denver

Notre Dame

Wisconsin

Minnesota

Michigan

Michigan St.

Ohio St

Penn St

Welcome to the AL east of college hockey. Why would non-big ten teams want to join that conference if half those teams won't make the NCAA tournament? More than likely North Dakota, Denver, Notre Dame and Miami would want to stay in cofnerences without the big ten teams (more likely to make the tournament) and schedule big ten teams out of conference. They could schedule big ten teams out of conference because the WCHA is losing two teams and the CCHA is losing three teams. Since there's only one team that is unaffiliated (Alabama), those conferences woudn't be replacing the big ten teams, would have fewer members and a shorter conference season.

USCHO pre-season rankings came out today. UW ranked #13. Pretty high for a team that lost something like 10 of its top 12 players.....but it shows the respect that this program has earned and the recruiting that goes on. Hockey is pretty healthy at UW.

I really hope for a decent year.....UW always has a ton of skill....but they are going to be young and untested.

• 2 weeks later...

I post a lot during the season on here....I would be ok with a new one too.

First Period of the season over, Bucky up 3-2. Like the scoring....but not sure I like giving up 2 early........

Game not televised, but sounds pretty scrappy on the radio. Badgers have two major penalties......

I think its going to be an interesting, but fun season.

Archived