Brewer Fanatic

Badger Hockey

logan82
  • Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I got my Friday 5 pack today and I'm looking forward to seeing some badger hockey. I also am driving up to Grand Forks at the end of the month to watch the UND series. It should be cool to see The Ralph. I hear it's crazy up there.
Of course it is, UND hockey is literally the only thing in the entire state. I'm pretty sure that there are only 20,000 people in North Dakota, and half of them go to the games.

Not too bad of a start tonight in Denver. 1-1 after the 1st period and if not for some good goalie work by Connelly has made it could be a huge Denver lead.

EDIT: Now it's 4-1 Badgers!

EDIT: Well there went that. It's 4-4.

EDIT: Just as I say that, it's 5-4 Badgers, but they just committed a stupid penalty.

EDIT: And after the stupid penalty, Denver scores. 5-5. Lots of dumb penalties tonight.

EDIT: And it's 6-5 Denver. This is a game we should have had.

I really question Connelly's ability as a goaltender. He just seems like he can't get it done for a full 60 minutes. He was good in the 1st period, but has been useless since. A lot of it had to do with stupid penalties too. There were way too many penalties committed by the Badgers.

I'm not a fan of his either, but it was penalties that lost the game. Some looked cheap to me, but i'm no official.

Tough loss for Bucky. Didn't see a lot of the game but from what I did see, the refs are a bit rusty early in the season. Same in the Gophers vs St Cloud game. Lots of bad calls, almost cost the gophers...but alas they held on to sit atop the WCHA!!!

The rules have changed this season and there's now a second referee on the ice. The claim is that it's made it more like the NHL, but so far, all I've seen is a ridiculous amount of penalties.

Basically, they said there's going to be a crackdown and you'll see lots more penalties for things like slashing and holding that would have gotten missed when there was only one ref on the ice.

I've also heard claim that this is a good thing because, you know, slashing can lead to broken fingers, so it shouldn't happen. But at least twice last night there were questionable slashing calls where it looked like the stick barely touched a guy.

It's clear the players haven't at all adjusted to the changed rules. It's a bit crappy if you ask me, to completely change the way the game is played in the course of one summer. These guys were brought up their entire lives under the other rules and have played as such - now it feel like - in hockey, for pete's sake - that the guys aren't allowed to touch each other!

Not only is it very frustrating, but I feel like now, the referees are the one's deciding the game because they're constantly putting a team on power play. There were 55 minutes of penalties and 18 power plays in last nights game!

To me, that's unacceptable. You're changing the landscape of the game and it's no longer who has the best team, but who adjusts to a rule change the quickest and who kills penalties the best. It's changing the integrity and it really bugs me.

Community Moderator
I agree that the amount of penalties is ridiculous, but if they want to "clean up" the game, the players will have to obey the new rules. Unfortunately, that gives the opponents a huge advantage because of the Badgers' horrible power play.

danzig6767 wrote:

BTW, i know there aren't many hockey fans on this board, but to those that are, what's your thoughts on Connelly?

I think that he is horrible. There has to be someone better on the bench. A far cry from the goalies of the past. I remember when all we had were stud goalies. Derkson, Carey, Cujo. I think that it might just be a tough couple of years coming up. As they were saying earlier, a double edged sword with getting top recruits.

I'm really concerned about the future of goaltending at UW. Now that (goalie coach) Bill Howard is gone, I don't know what to expect from the future in goal, but so far it's not good.
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

I remember when all we had were stud goalies. Derkson, Carey, Cujo. I think that it might just be a tough couple of years coming up. As they were saying earlier, a double edged sword with getting top recruits.
More importantly, even the guys who weren't considered studs performed at a high level....guys like Melanson, Daubenspeck and Bruckler. Not studs, but among the all-time statistical leaders in the program.
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

More importantly, even the guys who weren't considered studs performed at a high level....guys like Melanson, Daubenspeck and Bruckler. Not studs, but among the all-time statistical leaders in the program.

I totally agree

Here's another question about the atmosphere at the Badger Hockey games. I don't know how many of you guys got to see games at the coliseum, but if you did, which venue do you prefer? I miss how rowdy the coliseum used to get. I don't know if it just seemed that way because it was so much smaller, but I remember that place just shaking back in the day.

Coliseum was the best.

Two words=beer garden. That's where the atmosphere came from.

The Kohl is a beautiful facility but it's so sterile and tame. The whole atmosphere is a complete opposite of the Coliseum.

The rules have changed this season and there's now a second referee on the ice. The claim is that it's made it more like the NHL, but so far, all I've seen is a ridiculous amount of penalties.

Basically, they said there's going to be a crackdown and you'll see lots more penalties for things like slashing and holding that would have gotten missed when there was only one ref on the ice.

I've also heard claim that this is a good thing because, you know, slashing can lead to broken fingers, so it shouldn't happen. But at least twice last night there were questionable slashing calls where it looked like the stick barely touched a guy.

It's clear the players haven't at all adjusted to the changed rules. It's a bit crappy if you ask me, to completely change the way the game is played in the course of one summer. These guys were brought up their entire lives under the other rules and have played as such - now it feel like - in hockey, for pete's sake - that the guys aren't allowed to touch each other!

Not only is it very frustrating, but I feel like now, the referees are the one's deciding the game because they're constantly putting a team on power play. There were 55 minutes of penalties and 18 power plays in last nights game!

To me, that's unacceptable. You're changing the landscape of the game and it's no longer who has the best team, but who adjusts to a rule change the quickest and who kills penalties the best. It's changing the integrity and it really bugs me.

I agree if last nights game will prove to be the norm and not the exception. Some of those penalties were very ticky tac variety and was what allowed Denver to come back. I was watching the game with a buddy and both us of couldn't believe how little of the game was played five on five hockey. The game ended up seeming like a 60 minute power play fest with brief stretches of five on five hockey sprinkled in.

I didn't go into this year with overly high hopes for the Badgers. While the defenseman group is ultra talented, it's very young and we look to lack many really talented goal scorers. Connelly is the worst goalie at Wisconsin that i can remember in awhile. All that said, last nights game really pissed me off as i watched it because even though Denver flat out dominated UW in the first period and it was still only tied 1-1, i felt the refs played a sizable role in snatching away a victory because some of their weak penalty calls allowed Denver to play the bulk of the game on 5-4 or 5-3 power plays.

During Friday night's game they said that Connelly was working with a goalie advisor. Yes, not coach, advisor. And they said he was paying for it out of pocket. The whole thing sounded strange.

And not to knock Connelly too much, but I certainly don't see him with a future career between the pipes, so I was curious WHY he would spend that kind of money out of pocket at this point. It's highly unlikely to further his chances at a career.

Also, this PDF has the whole season schedule and lets you know which games are televised and by whom:

http://uwbadgers.com/spor...s/mhky/story_pdf_9164.pdf

Border Battle Week is finally upon us. oh wait we didnt have to wait very long this year. Pretty weak sauce! Especially being homecoming weekend, makes it tough for us gopher fans to get hotel rooms and raise all kinds of heck on state street. Oh well...

What are peoples thoughts on the weekend series? I am thinking split. Badgers have looked pretty bad thus far and the Gophers looked pretty impressive against St Cloud. However both teams always get up for this series so I fully expect bucky to play at a much higher level then they have the first two weekends.

Good luck to you Badger Fans!

Community Moderator
I think a packed Kohl Center will help get them going. The Badgers are much better than 0-4, and they aren't too far from 2-2 anyway. If the insane amount of penalties continues, expect a high scoring game. I expect a split, with the Badgers going to 0-5 before winning Saturday.

So much for offense being the problem.

During Friday night's game they said that Connelly was working with a goalie advisor. Yes, not coach, advisor. And they said he was paying for it out of pocket. The whole thing sounded strange.

Here is a link to an article from a couple months back about the goalie situation. They go off campus because Howard left. The guy helping them is a Howard student, but has a job that doesn't allow him to volunteer like Howard did.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived