Brewer Fanatic

Badger Hockey

logan82
Seems like a team that could get things together by the end of the season and make a good run in the WCHA and national tourneys. Yeah the Badgers have talent year after year, but we also have many players leave after only a couple years. The only real loss from last year was McBain. Big loss, but looks like we have good replacements for him. I don't think we have a good goalie. Our system seems to lessen the impact of goalies though.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aargh. I really wish the game tomorrow was on Big Ten Network or any channel. I'm getting a free preview of a ton of channels on UVerse through the 29th so pretty much any sports channel I have, so even if it was on the YES Network I would be able to watch, but it's not on any channel as far as I can tell in the Milwaukee area.

Still mad that I get more Goofer hockey games than Badger games.

This has got to be one of the most inconsistent teams I've ever seen. How many times already have they won Friday night and lost Saturday night? A 3-2 loss tonight to Michigan and now they are 8-5-1. With the experience and all the super talented defensemen, they should be better than this.

This has got to be one of the most inconsistent teams I've ever seen. How many times already have they won Friday night and lost Saturday night? A 3-2 loss tonight to Michigan and now they are 8-5-1. With the experience and all the super talented defensemen, they should be better than this.

I agree 100%. Our super defensemen are great, but get too aggressive and thus give up a ton of odd-man rushes. The shorthanded goal tonight was the difference, and that cannot happen to a team with a blue line roation of first and second round draft picks.

From the sound of the guys on the radio, Goody must have been great in goal or it could have been worse.

Big weekend against Michigan Tech next weekend, can they finally get 4 points?

• 2 weeks later...

3 points on the road at ND is fantastic. Wish I could see more games though. I think I have only watched one or 2 so far.

Two wins on the road the previous weekend isn't bad either. Don't care if Michigan Tech has a bad team. Road sweeps in the WCHA are all good. That makes 7 points over the last 2 weeks.

I blame Wang.

We've just owned North Dakota at Ralph Engelstad the last four years we've played them there. Out of a possible 16 points, we've gotten 13. That's an awesome job on the road no matter who you play, it's especially impressive since North Dakota's record in those four years is 86-51-13 compared to our 80-49-13.

It was a very good weekend for Badger hockey.....this will put them in the top ten for sure. Penalties could be the difference between this team doing great things and failing.....we take a lot of penalties in bad situations. Goody was great in goal this weekend!

The sky is the limit with this team

• 2 weeks later...

I have been sort of disgusted with the amount of Badgers games on TV this year. I ran across this snippet on INCH. It's about a month old. I think it is probably from the weekend the Badgers went up to Michigan to play the Wolverines and Spartans.

One reason the Big Ten wouldn't mind adding hockey to the league's stable of sports is to provide additional programming for the conference's television outlet-especially on Friday nights, the dead zone of college athletics. But the Big Ten Network's commitment to college pucks has to be called into question as based on its decision to forego televising any of last weekend's College Hockey Showcase games, choosing to instead broadcast Northwestern men's basketball on Friday and Saturday night.

In case you're keeping track at home, four hockey programs-all of which have won national championships in the last 12 years-were bounced in favor of a hoops team that has never qualified for an NCAA tournament. That, Big Ten Net, is well below average.

The Badgers to this point lead the league in goals scored and have given up one more than conference leader North Dakota(conference play only). Lead in both categories in all games. Things are still pretty bunched up with the top 5-6 teams. All within 6 points.

Wisconsin is well represented on the US Junior team. No other school has more than one guy on the team, we have 3 plus an assistant coach. Link

I blame Wang.

I was pretty ticked off that they didn't televise the college hockey showcase games as well. The lack of Badger games on FSN too is irritating, but I'm assuming it has to be a result of the Bucks games ALWAYS being on. I don't know what the TV schedule looks like coming up, but two of the Badgers' biggest series of the year are coming up after the Showdown and if they don't televise the games I am not going to be happy.

It's not because of Bucks games. They just decided to do big time cutbacks on FSN that I don't even think FSN produces it anymore. Ever notice the scoreboard they have when a game is on FSN? It's never the "official" scoreboard they have for other FSN games. For instance, I get a lot of Minnesota hockey games since I also get FSN North.

This is the "official" scoreboard for FSN.

This is the scoreboard we get even when the games are on FSN.

trwi7's second scoreboard link shows the graphics used by Wisconsin Public Television. Thanks to the Big Ten Network, all WPT can do anymore is hockey games. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

In Madison we see some games on FSWisconsin and some (at least half, maybe more) on TVW, channel 3's cable station. The TVW games are also shown on delay on WPT.

I don't know why the WPT graphics sometimes appear on FSWisconsin telecasts.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Hasnt the scoreboard always been like that for badger hockey games? I seem to recall that being the case. However, I have no caught many games this year on television.

I don't know about Madison, but in Milwaukee prior to the 2008-2009 season the scoreboard was always the main FSN scoreboard. I remember them saying something about FSN decided not to carry as many games or something a couple years ago, which sucks because that means we only get Wisconsin Public Television games at 10:30 and even those aren't on every game.

We had our alumni hockey game this weekend. A former student that now plays for the Badgers came back. Wow, I cannot believe how good he actually was. You watch it on tv or in person and think nothing of it. He made almost everyone look like cones.

Badgers win their own holiday tourney!

After going to the Merrimack game, I paid the $3 for the online broadcast of the Yale game, and UW played pretty well. I am still not sure we have played our best game though. The Badgers again started slowly, giving up the lead. Then they took all of the momentum and scored two unanswered goals, and completely dominated the majority of the game. Then a mental mistake with less than 3 mins to go in the third.......Craig Smith took an extremely bad penalty late in the third, and the following power play goal for Yale costs the Badgers the win. (In tournament play, a shootout win still counts as a tie in the national rankings) Smith is a great Freshman who allowed a team to "get under his skin." Too bad....but he will learn from this.

If we can take care of small things, this team really could contest for the national title. We are missing three of our top players, and yet, are still very, very good. Stephan and Gardiner are great players (and Ramage is not bad himself for a freshman) and yet, without them, the Badgers seem to keep doing well. It gives us Badger fans high hopes.....Guys like Geoffrion (Sp?) and Davies are having great seasons, and our two goalies are both very good.

Go Bucky!

I was at the game last night. I realize that they were missing quite a few guys between Juniors and injury, but wow, they did not look good in my opinion for the majority of the game. The talent was clearly there at times, but there was little effort. They were caught flat footed repeatedly in my eyes. It was great to see them pull out the win, but they're definitely going to need to improve over the next two months to go anywhere. An effort like that will get you bounced early in the NCAA tournament.

Yale is actually a pretty good team, so a win is a win. It seems like they have been doing this a lot lately in their tournament. There is a big layoff between games and then a lot of their best player are playing in the Juniors. I'm kinda sad that the tournament isn't happening anymore. Back when I was in HS the tournament was in Milwaukee and the teams that had coming in some years, like Boston University, made for a darn exciting tournament. I wish the Badgers would play in Milwaukee more, but now that they have that new facility there's really no reason too. Anyway, these next two series against Denver and CC are super important so hopefully they can pick up their play.

Archived