Brewer Fanatic

Coco Crisp

Coco's career numbers are almost identical to Weeks' down 2008.

Rickie has more OBP skills and more pop. Coco might be a decent stopgap in CF, but he's a defensive whiz and a mediocre at best hitter.

Yes Crisp is not an All Star. So? He's a better CF option on this free swinging team than is Cameron and he's a switch hitter. Who out there is going to give the Brewers a All Star caliber leadoff man that plays a position of need? He also carries a contract that is within reason.

It would depend on what the Brewers would have to give up, but I'd take Crisp in a heartbeat if the deal is right.

I've thought about Crisp in CF for the Brewers next year. I personally would prefer Cameron back, but depending on other moves the Brewers want to make, the team may not decide it can spend $10M for a CF next year. Crisp might be the 2nd best option, depending on what it would take to get him. I don't have a sense of how Boston values Crisp. Going into last year he was a 4th OF with $11M committed over the next 2 years who was coming off 2 poor seasons. Now Crisp has a decent season and Ellsbury disappoints. Before last year, I think Crisp could have been had cheap. Now, Boston may decide to keep him as insurance since it's only one year.

He's a better CF option on this free swinging team than is Cameron and he's a switch hitter

How does lowering your OBP, SLG, and defensive skills make him a "better option"? If you can get Crisp at $3M rather than pay Cameron $10M, at least you can make the argument Crisp would be better for the money, depending on what they'd spend the other $7M on, but Cameron is the best CF out there, gets out less, and has more pop. He's simply better.

He's a better CF option on this free swinging team than is Cameron and he's a switch hitter

How does lowering your OBP, SLG, and defensive skills make him a "better option"? If you can get Crisp at $3M rather than pay Cameron $10M, at least you can make the argument Crisp would be better for the money, depending on what they'd spend the other $7M on, but Cameron is the best CF out there, gets out less, and has more pop. He's simply better.

What math makes .344 lower than .341? Crisp had higher OBP this year and since he's still in his prime (while Cameron's not), he's more likely to maintain that than Cameron is at age 36. Crisp hit better with RISP (.267 to .245), hit better with 2 out and RISP (.239 to .205) and Crisp didn't fade in September like Cameron (Crisp hit .375 in Sept to Cameron's .176). Did age have anything to do with Cameron's fade in Sept? I wouldn't rule it out.

But beyond all the stats, and I have no doubt Al you could massage the stats to make a case for Cameron too, the key you are ignoring is the makeup of the lineup. With Cameron in CF in 2008, the Brewers scored 51 fewer runs than they did in 2007. A big part of that is because the addition of Cameron added one more high strikeout, low contact, right handed bat to a lineup full of them (Hall, Hart, Hardy, Braun, Weeks), which enabled pitchers to work around the one threat from the left side and go after the free swinging rest. That the Brewers ended up trying to counter this imbalance with a Craig Counsell speaks to the need for something in the lineup other than free swinging right handed bats. Now if you're okay with spending $13 million to bring back both Cameron and Counsell who combined will be 74 next year, fine. But I'd rather spend less for a solid player in his prime and lessen the need to have Counsell getting regular playing time and take 70 strikeouts out of my lineup.

With Cameron in CF in 2008, the Brewers scored 51 fewer runs than they did in 2007. A big part of that is because the addition of Cameron added one more high strikeout, low contact, right handed bat to a lineup full of them (Hall, Hart, Hardy, Braun, Weeks),
Are you serious? Maybe we scored 51 less runs because Braun lost 116 points on his OPS from the year before, Fielder lost 134 points on his OPS from the year before, Hall lost 51 points on his OPS from the year before, Hart lost 133 points on his OPS from the year before. We dropped 48 points in OPS going from Estrada to Kendall.

Blaming Cameron for the Brewers scoring 51 less runs is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read.

• 1 month later...
I would only go after Coco if the brewers did not get CC and then trade Cameron to the yankees for some relief help or starter. then trade some youth and maybe bill hall as well for coco and buchholz, rumor has it that the sox want to get rid of some pitchers for masterson to become a starter.

Rumor also has it that Wakefield is retiring. If I were going to make one of their relievers a starter, I'd go with Jonny Paps. But that's neither here nor there. Covella would probably only bring more speed, which the Brewers could use, but not at the Red Sox price. They can afford to have an expensive fourth outfielder. We cannot. And I also find it hard to believe that the Red Sox would be amenable to any deal that helps out their main rival, and then offer said team a discount (which is the only way we should even ponder his acquisition).

Archived