Brewer Fanatic

Brewers look to have new scoreboard/updated audio system for 2010

fondybrewfan

Brewers eye new scoreboard in 2010

By Don Walker
Tuesday, Oct 7 2008, 04:06 PM

A Miller Park stadium district committee this afternoon gave conceptual approval to a Milwaukee Brewers plan to build and install a new high-definition scoreboard and audio system in Miller Park by opening day 2010.

Estimated cost of the new scoreboard: Anywhere from $9 million to $12 million.

The scoreboard will be funded largely by the Brewers. But the district has tentatively agreed to commit $5.25 million toward the project. That $5.25 million commitment comes from the district's segregated reserve fund, which is funded jointly by taxpayers in a five-county region and the Brewers.

The new scoreboard will be built in the same location as the current scoreboard but will be bigger and better, team officials and district officials say.

High-definition scoreboards are becoming the norm in stadiums. In addition to a new scoreboard, the sound system in Miller Park will be improved as well. Ever since the park opened in March 2001, there have been complaints about the quality of the sound system.

-----

I really don't have any complaints about the scoreboard, the audo can be pretty crappy at times

I'd be curious to hear how many MLB stadiums have or are getting HD scoreboards before next year. Ultimately, though, much like the ribbon board it's more a question of 'when' than 'if.' Getting it later would (most likely) be cheaper, but as long as the team is puting up the extra money, I'm fine with it.

Upgrading the sound system is a huge plus, as long as they get it right this time.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm sure someone will ask why this money can't be used to resign CC.....I believe stadium district money (i.e. Miller Park tax) can only be used on the stadium itself.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I believe stadium district money (i.e. Miller Park tax) can only be used on the stadium itself.

From the article, it looks as if most of the money is coming from the Brewers. Does the tax money go to the Brewers directly, then they pay the debt or something?

Atlanta (among others, I'm sure, but that's where I live) has an HD scoreboard, and it's insanely awesome. Blinding, but awesome. I think it might be (or was) the largest outdoor HD screen in the country.

Wait.. I thought in 2006 they were saying that income isn't keeping up to pace and that the tax may last longer then 2014. Does this mean we magically found 5.5 million dollars or does this mean they aren't going to sunset the tax?

The tax money is something that's built into the agreement between the Brewers and the Stadium District as part of a plan to keep Miller Park from falling behind the times. If I remember correctly, the Brewers would have had the right to use District money toward a new scoreboard in 2008, but they chose to push the project back.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Much like the real grass, the sunsetting of the tax was something to feed the fans to get the stadium built. Both ideas will be gone before long.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Atlanta (among others, I'm sure, but that's where I live) has an HD scoreboard, and it's insanely awesome. Blinding, but awesome. I think it might be (or was) the largest outdoor HD screen in the country.

Isn't the one in Atlanta especially huge because it was originally built for the Olympics?

A new scoreboard would be nice. I'd just flip the current matrix board and screen. Have the smaller matrix board up top and use the big area for a nice HD screen. I'm sure it'll allow them to sell more advertising as well.

I know they had also talked about doing something with the windows along the 1st/3rd base sides to allow them to open to increase airflow and help regular temps, but it was deemed too costly to retrofit something like that.

I am glad we are planning to get a new HD scoreboard. I think it will be nice to get rid of the blue and white text board that shows all the stats. Everything should look much better in color now.

I wouldn't mind if they added a little bit of an arch to the scoreboard (like PNC Park has on their scoreboard). I think it would look nicer than just a rectangle. Here is my suggestion . . .

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b273/AJAY_02/ScoreboardConcept.jpg

Estimated cost of the new scoreboard: Anywhere from $9 million to $12 million.

The scoreboard will be funded largely by the Brewers. But the district has tentatively agreed to commit $5.25 million toward the project.

So the taxpayers are paying half the amount. How is that "funded largely by the Brewers"?

Doesn't MLB have rules about showing replays and pitches and stuff? It always bothered me that they don't have the TV picture showing so you can see pitches some in really nicely if you're sitting far away from the plate. At NFL games they show the play live on the score board and replay every play. Yeah, you see the referees miss calls and such but its there because it happened.

Overall I think the MLB Umpires are insanely good at their job and I don't have much issue when they miss a call. I would like to see plays again though.

Doesn't MLB have rules about showing replays and pitches and stuff?

Yeah, I believe they can't show replays of close plays per their agreement with the umpires' union.

That is correct.

I noticed at the game Saturday that the top video board was flickering quite a bit, for whatever reason. I hope we don't have to go through a whole season of that before the board is replaced.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I noticed at the game Saturday that the top video board was flickering quite a bit, for whatever reason.
Towards the end of the season I also noticed a red or black line that would cut vertically through the middle of the screen.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Well, the tax better sunset on schedule! I mean I love the Crew and have no problem with the tax increase, but the Club mad a promise to allow it to sunset.

Anyways, I wonder if the HD Screen will attract off season attractions. Maybe more concerts... and perhaps in the future when we return to the playoffs they'll show the game out of town games on the screen. That could bring in some revenue.

http://z.about.com/d/phoenix/1/7/j/H/2/scoreboard600.jpg

Here is what the scoreboard at Chase Field looks like. They had the same type of scoreboard as Miller park. I attended a couple of games this year and was absolutly amazed at the clarity of the screen.

As you can see the screen breaks into separate functions but the replays are awesome. The whole screen shows the play. The only thing is they will not show close plays (MLB Rules).

This would be a huge improvement over what Miller Park has now.

I've been to Bank One, er Chase Field many times in my life and this year, with the new board, it is an improvement in clarity, but man, it was just too busy for me. Almost a sensory overload of information that you start reading all the stuff and the next thing you know, you've missed 2 or 3 pitches.

I liked the old board better.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Archived