Brewer Fanatic

Attanasio pursues Molitor

auscar
Anti 1982 sentiment aside, Molitor was always regarded as one of the most cerebral players of his era. He was always listed on the "will make a good manager someday" lists. While I'd love to see him join the team, I just don't see it happening. How many times has he shot the Brewers down since 1992? If he hasn't come back by now, I doubt if he ever will.

Correct. Molly never was offered the managerial position, and it isn't even sure if he even applied for it.

Actually I read at the time a snippet from Molitor himself in the Star Tribune who said he told them he wasn't interested in the job at the time. It came out later that he was told by Selig before he made the decision of the impending plan to contract and the Twins were one of the teams they were looking at. So no he wasn't offered the job officially since he told them he wasn't interested in it.

This is my own personal opinion through years of seeing him play and act so take it for what it's worth. I always felt Molly was more selfish than some of the others of that era. I don't really see selfish people being all that good of candidates for managing a team oriented game.

If you all want him here fine. But HOF fame players are in no way any better equipped to be a manager or coach than any other person who has been around the game. They often do not relate well to average players since they cannot understand the struggles of average talent. Some one I see as selfish even less so.

That really seems like an unnecessarily snide remark. Molitor was fired along with Bob Melvin's whole staff after 2004. That's a housecleaning, in which any salient positives typically are ignored for a fresh start.

Yes it was more snide than I should have been so apologies for that. Sometimes I get so sick of idolizing certain players and ignoring the warts it just sort of irks me. I don't see how getting fired along with the rest of them is a sign of competence. I also think there are plenty of very good people who do get retained that the whole idea that good people get released through no fault of their own is not all together accurate. If he really did an above average job I think he could have had another job or been retained by the new manager if warranted. We need look no further than our own Billy Castro who survived some horrid staffs. He did that because he was good at what he did and that showed through despite the incompetence around him.

He was always listed on the "will make a good manager someday" lists.

So have a lot of great cerebral players. Willie Randolph, Davey Lopes the managerial highway is littered with corpses of players who were always considered great managerial prospects. Mostly it's hollow praise given at a time when they are still playing. I don't see how anyone can really tell how good a manager someone would be by how well they play. I tend to think how well they do in management and coaching roles after their playing careers are far more telling than hyperbole given while they are playing.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Backupcatchers wrote:

This is my own personal opinion through years of seeing him play and act so take it for what it's worth. I always felt Molly was more selfish than some of the others of that era. I don't really see selfish people being all that good of candidates for managing a team oriented game.

I know you said it is just your opinion, but I have heard and read nothing but rave reviews about Molitor as a player. Guys like Gorman Thomas and Sal Bando had made comments about Molitor being the "Porsche" of that era, but you wouldn't know it based on how he played the game, treated teammates and did anything to help the team - including playing every position except pitcher and catcher.

Other guys like Pat Listach, Daryl Hamilton and Jaques Jones (I think it was him...I know it was a Twins player), have credited Molitor with teaching them the right way to play, how you can help the team in various ways and how to always watch/learn. I believe Listach and Hamilton even wore #4 at various times in honor of him.

So, I'm not sure what you saw that appeared selfish, I just don't recall hearing any of that (except, of course, his drug addiction).

Archived