Brewer Fanatic

04/22/2006 Reds (Claussen) @ Brewers (Bush) 1:05 PM, CST

JoeH33
  • Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh man! Just got back from the game. I only decided this morning to drive up and see it (I'm a Madisonian). It was beautiful (plush Bush is on my fantasy team).

I'm shocked there are only 9 pages of posts. Is it cause everyone was at the game? Because it wasn't on TV? Because everyone is hungover and just woke up?

I had a perfect angle on Fielder's "record" HR. If you drew a line from me to the playing field it would have gone straight down the first baseline to the foul pole (from loge level). Ecstatic. I won't soon forget today.

Quote:
I'm shocked there are only 9 pages of posts. Is it cause everyone was at the game? Because it wasn't on TV? Because everyone is hungover and just woke up?

It sounds like quite a few posters were at the game. We also had 9 otherwise fairly active posters at the softball practice.

Just got back from the game. Amazing. A bunch of stuff that I had never seen in person before, and probably will never see again.

Not only did the Brewers win, but they won by 11 runs. 5 homeruns in a game is pretty good, but the 4th inning was absolutely amazing. Just after you had sat down, you were up again cheering another homer. Unbelievable. Got a 4-hit, 9-strikeout, complete game shutout from our #5 starter. Glad I decided to keep score today. Although, in the 3rd inning, we were starting to get fed up with the ump's strike zone; there seemed to be a large amount of strikes called in that inning which the players appeared to think differently about. But it stopped mattering when Claussen started tossing batting practice the next inning. And then there was some drunk guy who ran onto the field and eventually got clotheslined by some 60 year old security guard in centerfield.

An amazing afternoon.

From the Associated Press

MILWAUKEE(AP) The Milwaukee Brewers became the first major league team in 40 years to hit five home runs in one inning Saturday against the Cincinnati Reds.

Bill Hall, Damian Miller, Brady Clark, J.J. Hardy and Prince Fielder all homered for Milwaukee in a seven-run fourth. The last team to hit five homers in an inning was the Minnesota Twins on June 9, 1966, in the seventh against the Kansas City Athletics.

Three other teams have accomplished the feat: the 1939 New York Giants, 1949 Philadelphia Phillies and 1961 San Francisco Giants _ all against Cincinnati as well.

Miller and Clark each hit a two-run shot. The rest were solo home runs.

Cincinnati starter Brandon Claussen gave up four of the homers before getting an out in the fourth. That also tied a big league record for most home runs allowed in one inning by a pitcher. He is the fourth Reds pitcher to do so, joining Mario Soto, Jeff Austin, and Jose Acevedo.

The Brewers sent 10 batters to the plate in the fourth. Hall flied out to end the rally in his second at-bat of the inning.

From MLB.com

MILWAUKEE -- Counting may not be one of the Milwaukee Brewers strong suits, but hitting the long ball sure was on Saturday.

The Brewers tied a Major League record by hitting five home runs in one inning and starter Dave Bush pitched a four-hitter as Milwaukee beat the Cincinnati Reds, 11-0, before 35,768 fans on Saturday.

The homers were coming at such a fast and furious pace that some of the Brewers lost count in the dugout.

"There was some confusion whether it was four or five [homers]," Milwaukee manager Ned Yost said.

Bill Hall started the barrage by leading off the fourth inning with his third homer of the year.

"After the third one went out, we got pretty excited in the dugout," Hall said. "After the fourth and the fifth, it was just unbelievable."

Damian Miller, Brady Clark, J.J. Hardy and Prince Fielder also homered in the inning. It was only the fifth time in Major League history -- and the first since the Minnesota Twins did it nearly 40 years ago -- that five homers were hit in one inning.

"It was meant to be our day," said Miller, who also had three doubles and five RBIs, and said it was the best game of his 10-year career. "It was surreal."

Four of the homers in Saturday's game were off Cincinnati starter Brandon Claussen (1-2), tying a Major League record for homers allowed by one pitcher in a single inning.

Bush (2-1) pitched his second shutout in 44 career starts, giving up only three singles and a double. He had a two-hitter with two outs in the ninth, but gave up a single to Javier Valentin and a double to Austin Kearns before getting Scott Hatteberg to pop out to end the game.

The right-hander walked Ryan Freel on four pitches to open the game, but settled down to strike out nine and walk two in his fourth start since coming to the Brewers in the trade that sent Lyle Overbay to Toronto during the offseason.

"I'm not sure what happened," Bush said of the early walk. "I settled back down, still confident in what I was trying to do."

He struck out eight in the first four innings, but changed his approach after the Brewers scored seven runs during the fourth-inning home run fest. He spent the rest of the game trying to conserve pitches and force the Reds to put the ball in play.

The performance by Bush allowed the Brewers bullpen, which has been overworked the past week, to rest.

"They needed a day off to just sit back and enjoy the fireworks," Hall said.

Bush entered Spring Training in a three-way battle with Dana Eveland and Rick Helling for the fifth spot in the rotation. He quickly jumped out from the pack by pitching well in preseason games, and has had three good performances in four starts during the season.

Yost said he was pleased by Bush's approach to games, and said he was benefiting from being new to the National League.

"It's a little tougher when you haven't seen a guy before," he said.

The Brewers had gone 3-9 since starting the season 5-0, but had little trouble on Saturday.

Miller's first double came with the bases loaded in the second inning, clearing the bases to give Milwaukee a 3-0 lead.

In the fourth, Hall led off with a homer and Rickie Weeks followed with a single, extending his hitting streak to 10 games. Miller then hit his first homer of the year to make it 6-0.

Bush singled and Brady Clark hit his first homer to make it 8-0. Hardy followed with another home run, his third this year to chase Claussen. Two outs later, Fielder hit his third homer, tying a record last accomplished by the Minnesota Twins on June 9, 1966 against Kansas City.

The Brewers scored their final run on Weeks' sacrifice fly in the seventh, scoring Fielder.

Miller was 4-for-4 with a homer, three doubles and five RBIs. He tied his career record for hits and RBIs in a game. Fielder was 2-for-4 with a walk and three runs scored.

Joe DiGiovanni is a contributor to MLB.com This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Box Score Link

We had softball practice today. Before the practice started someone asked "Anyone bring a radio?" My reply was "No, and it's probably a good thing too."

oof.

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

Oh..and we were the Kohls family of the game...$250 gift certificate! Great day.

Good for you! As our 20 game package is in 417, I am hoping that our years of family section loyalty will pay off for us someday (in the tangible form of a Kohls gift card).

I had no game access today either - visiting my mom who doesn't own a radio because she's been deaf for 20 years.

If someone told me that the Brewers would win the rest of their games as long as I ignored them...I'm not sure what I'd do.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

that was the best Brewer game I have ever been to. Not only did we crap our pants when we sat down in our incredible seats(6 rows behind home plate) but oh my gosh all those homers. I tried so hard to eat my hot dog that inning and it just didn't happen.

Archived