Brewer Fanatic

What to do with Brad Nelson

paul253
Brad Nelson had a nice year in AAA, and really doesnt have anything left to prove there. My question is is there any chance he'll be on the roster next year? I believe he's a free agent so we'd have to sign him. I just wonder is he able to play another position well enough to be consider a utility guy? Can he play outfield well enough to be reliable? Obviously with the amount Fielder plays we're not going to keep him as only a backup first basemen. Or if Fielder gets traded is there a chance he's our everyday first basemen? It'd be a risk. I like him, and I'd love to see him back, but I just dont know if/where he fits.

I think having him on the postseason roster showed how much the Brewers like him. He adds the one thing the Brewers are short on, a left-handed bat, which increases the likelihood IMO that he'll be on the opening day roster next year, if he doesn't move onto another organization. He has played on the OF corners in the past with mixed reviews, as he's best suited at 1B, but he's a solid option to have off of the bench for his bat alone.

I've mentioned this before, but I don't think Nelson will hit enough to be anything other than one of the couple worst 1st basemen in MLB. I hope they don't plan on using him as a 1B. If he takes Kapler's role, I guess that would be ok, but he can't play CF, so I don't know if he's a fit for the Brewers.

I believe he's a free agent. I don't think it's a matter of what the Brewers do with Brad Nelson as much as what types of offers Nelson gets from other teams. I honestly don't know for sure what he's thinking now, but I know there were rumblings during the season that more than a few MLB teams have scouted him in Nashville. My guess is he's on a 25 man roster, but I don't know if it'll be the Brewers or not.

He seems to slot in as the 5th OF/LH bench bat. That said, he has a career 800 OPS at AAA, so he actually has plenty left to prove at that level. I agree with Joe that his ceiling is quite low, so AAA and a PH role looks to be as good as it gets.

As long as Nelson stays on the 40-man roster, he's not a free agent. If he were to be DFA'd, then IIRC he would be free to go.

I thought he has put enough time in the minors and would have to sign a minor league free agent contract/mlb contract in order to still be a Brewer. I must be wrong in that logic since I thought he put in the 7 years or whatever and chose to re-sign with the Brewers in the off-season as a minor league free agent.

http://blogs.jsonline.com...nelson-back-in-favor.aspx

"He's still young, he has a (minor league) option left, and if we didn't sign him, we'd have to find another first baseman at Nashville. It all seemed to make sense. He earned his way back on."

This seems to indicate he'd be a free agent, but again I'm not 100% on this and anyone who knows for sure thanks in advance for your help.

If the Brewers do not re-sign Branyan I would like to see Nelson as a 4C reserve. I am not sure about his defense at 3B and in the outfield corners, but he will not be playing in the field much anyway. Nelson draws alot of walks, has pretty good pop, and is left handed to boot. You could do much worse than Brad Nelson for more money.

It probably comes down to the Shaded One and whether he's on the team or not. I doubt Branyan will be back next year, as some team will throw a starting gig, or at least a good platoon role, at him. Thus, I think it's all but a given that the Farmboy is back next year, unless he's packaged in a minor deal. I believe in the power, so I hope he is on our bench next year, though obviously the Muscle is the man I would prefer.

It probably comes down to the Shaded One and whether he's on the team or not. I doubt Branyan will be back next year, as some team will throw a starting gig, or at least a good platoon role, at him. Thus, I think it's all but a given that the Farmboy is back next year, unless he's packaged in a minor deal. I believe in the power, so I hope he is on our bench next year, though obviously the Muscle is the man I would prefer.

I know of a team in the NL Central that could use Mr. Branyan in a full season third base platoon. How about the Brewers?

I know of a team in the NL Central that could use Mr. Branyan in a full season third base platoon. How about the Brewers?

Well, I'd say Mike Lamb figures in this discussion also.

If we keep Hall as a supersub, we should be able to go with a guy like Nelson as well as a fourth OF (Kapler or Gwynn) and two other options for 3B (say Lamb and Dillon just to put names down). Point being, if Hall is kept as a guy that can fill in at 2b, 3b and SS, we should have room for Nelson. If we resign a guy like Counsell, it becomes unlikely we'd have a roster spot for him.

Does anyone know if Nelson can play any outfield positions at least somewhat decently?

It depends what you mean by 'decently'. If you want him to be your 4th OF, I'd probably pass. A 5th OF, backup 1st, 3b if there's an in-game injury, and left-handed PH is more likely his role. He's not bad for his size, but due to his size and lack of speed he doesn't get to everything. There's worse OFs out there, but if Brad is going to be a starter IMO it'll be at 1b if it happens.

Archived