Brewer Fanatic

The CC Watch... Latest: Who knows?

There was some crazy rumor last week that CC bought the house that he and his family were previously renting in the Milwaukee area. I know it is probably crap, but I thought I would mention anyways. There would be no reason to buy a house unless the ink is dry on the contract so I doubt this is true.

I would be fine with a 4 year $100M + a 5th year $28M option if he starts 30+ games and pitches 190+ innings in 3 of the 4 years and perhaps a couple other benchmarks predicated on his success.

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting, fondy.

What am I trying to say? Basically I have seen Melvin and Attanasio throw more good money than needed at mediocre players in the past. It wouldn't suprise me anymore if they decided to make a big fair market offer to one of the best pitchers in baseball.

My first reaction to the thought of a 4-year deal (or whatever) for CC is 'great!'... but the problem is that I think the Brewers are going to have to be a LOT more careful with how they use Sabathia. He was at or near the top of the PAP list this season, and Yost was just horrible to him in terms of physical wear & tear due to his workload. This is the big limitation on small(er)-market teams in baseball -- they can't afford the length it takes to sign guys because if they go down with serious injury, the budget is crippled by their huge salaries. The Brewers would have been crushed by Carl Pavano's contract, while the Yanks just yawned, moved on, and signed Pettite.

I am torn on how to feel about the possibility of re-signing CC. Of course it's great in terms of talent, but the risk is very much a variable imo. Not sure how much to worry about it.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

It really comes down to health. If CC is healthy he is worth 25+, but there are no guarentees. It really comes down to comfort level with the risk. A 4 year deal with an incentive type of 5th year might have a shot, but ultimately a 6 year deal will probably get him signed. That would be too risky IMHO.

Buster Olney has a new article on ESPN with the 5 things to watch this offseason. The Brewers are mentioned in 3 of them: Trading for Peavy possibly, possibly shopping Fielder and of course, CC. He states in several spots that the Brewers will need to replace him and doesn't even mention us as a remote possiblity for him. Heres the blurb on CC (it's a free article so I think this is ok to post):

Sabathia was going to cash in this winter no matter what, but he increased his value even more by hoisting the Brewers onto his broad shoulders and carrying them into the playoffs, pitch counts be damned. If the 28-year-old lefty wants the biggest deal, the Yankees are prepared to offer a king's ransom, plus New Jersey. But all things being equal, Sabathia would prefer to go home to California and play in the NL, where the .261 career hitter can swing the bat. If you were the Dodgers and had $100 million-plus to spend, would you invest in the volatile and unpredictable Ramírez, or in the younger and more team-oriented Sabathia? It's a no-brainer.

(offset quote; should still have link --1992)

Didn't the Indians also offer CC the same contract? Or was it 5 years $100 million. I can't remember what it was but I know the Indians offered CC something close to 4 or 5 years near the $100 million mark and he didn't accept that offer.

I heard Macha kind of slip up an say something like he was in similar situation in Oakland when they "lost two pitchers", but then quickly said "might lose two pitchers". I would love CC back too, but I'm pretty sure he wants to go to a big market and the Brewers know its really just a token offer so that the fans won't turn on them. I hope I'm wrong.

Is this because of something he said, or just based on the idea that big markets are automatically better?
It is probably from the notion that big market clubs get more media exposure. Which for the life of me I can't figure out. This shouldn't be true anymore. With the internet and other advancements in technology this shouldn't be as big of deal as some people make it out to be anymore.

With how baseball is being run now you can watch your team from no matter where you live you can also listen to your teams broadcast no matter where you are in the country with XM radio. Now you can catch highlights on your cell phone and get updates on your cell phone. Is the media coverage really that big of a difference any more between a small market team and a large market team.

Maybe I'm missing something here.

The biggest money is in the biggest markets. I think that's just connecting the dots on where the best FA pitcher might wind up. When you add in that one such big-money team (LAD) has chunks of $$ coming off the books, and is close to his home... seems a logical spot to me.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

It is probably from the notion that big market clubs get more media exposure. Which for the life of me I can't figure out. This shouldn't be true anymore. With the internet and other advancements in technology this shouldn't be as big of deal as some people make it out to be anymore.

I think it's related to money they can make outside of their salary. Playing for New York, Chicago, or LA probably brings in more endorsement type deals than playing for Milwaukee would. I know there were/have been rumors about LeBron James' deal with Nike and how it changes if he's in one of the big markets. I guess if the money is more or less the same (we'll just say on the four year deal discussed here) it boils down to how much money can be made outside of baseball. I have no clue if CC cares about this, but if he does he's as good as gone. I still think CC is a Brewer next year. I'm going to guess they'll offer CC a 4 year $100 million deal and CC will be 31 (IIRC) when that's up so he'll have one more big deal if healthy and hell he's already set. I do get the feeling that CC likes the guys he played with this year and doesn't really want to play in a New York (maybe LA I guess). I think they'll offer Sheets one year $15 million. I'd say CC is back and Sheets walks.

Is it always about the money? CC has 3 little kids right? I know he liked Cleveland and he said he likes Milwaukee, so maybe he wants his kids to grow up in a smaller city. It's not like he can't feed them on $25 mil/per, contrary to what Latrell Spreewell might say.

I read today on mlbtraderumors that MLB execs believed the Brewers were preparing to offer a 4yr/100mil proposal to Mr. Sabathia. He won't laugh at the deal, but he certainly will be looking at the other side of the paper to see where the remaining 3 years and $50 million are that he's seeking. Some big-market GM on the hot seat will knock his socks off with a much better offer than the Crew can provide. I'd appreciate a legit offer like this from Mark A...it will at least look like they tried.

On another note, I wouldn't offer more than a 1 yr. 10 mil deal to Ben Sheets. No, he won't take it. That's the point.

For what it's worth, I heard Buster Olney say that Milwaukee may offer 4 yrs 100 million and that the Yankees may offer 4 years 140 million. I know it's Buster olney, and a couple "maybes" but I found it relevant enough. With the Yankees moving to their new stadium, all of their money, an even more impatient version of a Steinbrenner, 4 yrs 140 doesnt surprise me. I also can't blame CC for taking it. That's too much money to turn down.

there comes a point where signing Sabathia to a longterm deal is just foolish. Anything about 22M/year is foolish to me. There are too many risks with pitchers. Especially 300lb+ pitchers that have logged as many innings as CC has the last few years.

He is a beast on the mound when he is right, but for that kind of money you need that Beast every day for 4-5 years.. whatever it is. And the odds of him doing that are not good given his size and the duration of the contract he will demand.

Can someone help me remember why C.C. struggled at the beginning of this year with Cleveland? Was it his command? Velocity? I don't remember.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be absolutely giddy if we had C.C. coming back, but I can only imagine the explosive reaction from our fan base if we drop 25 million per year on him and he struggles to start the season again.

For what it's worth, I heard Buster Olney say that Milwaukee may offer 4 yrs 100 million and that the Yankees may offer 4 years 140 million. I know it's Buster olney, and a couple "maybes" but I found it relevant enough. With the Yankees moving to their new stadium, all of their money, an even more impatient version of a Steinbrenner, 4 yrs 140 doesnt surprise me. I also can't blame CC for taking it. That's too much money to turn down.

I just can't see even the Yankees going that high. It's not like the Yankees are going to have trouble selling tickets in their new stadium, with their team as is. Also, giving out a ridiculous contract like that doesn't seem to really be how Cashman is operating lately (despite the A-Rod contract last off-season).

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I have no problem with offering the 4 year, $100 mil. If he doesn't accept and says that he wants more years the Brewers should give it to him. What would the difference be to up it to 6 years, $150. Still 25 per year and he would only be 33 at the end of that contract. He might accept the 4 year deal though cause I bet it would be easier to get a big contract at age 31 than 33 and who knows what the going rate will be up to by then.

I can't imaging offering Sheeter more than a one year incentive laden deal. I think you go 1 year for 5 mil plus incentives that could make the deal up to like 10 mil if he reaches certain innings and win totals. Remember he is a type A free agent so anyone that signs him will have to give up a 1st round pick. Who would want to risk that price plus a larger contract for an injury prone pitcher who missed the end of the season due to an elbow injury. Elbow injuries are very serious and he may not pitch more than 100 innings next year because of this.

Archived