Brewer Fanatic

The CC Watch... Latest: Who knows?

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting the draft picks is a very minor "bonus" at this point. Yes, it'll be nice to have them come draft time but as Invader3K just stated...I'd much rather have CC next season.

Even with great drafts, it's still a few years down the road for those guys to make it to the big leagues, if they make it at all.

I want to win next year and the year after that. But I think a certain freedom will come with CC signing with another team.It almost never works when a baseball team pins all their hopes on one player. This isn't football.

I think the team is capable of 90 wins without CC. He probably makes them closer to a 94-96 win team. But Melvin could also get there with a couple shrewd moves. Moves that wouldn't cripple the team's flexibility for the next 5-6 years.

It is not that I think draft picks make up for him. I would much rather have CC, but what the longer this goes and the more teams that get in play the less likely I feel that it is for us to get CC. That means I would like for us to get the most in return for him. I am not expecting guys to come in and help immediately, but for a mid market team drafts are huge and 6 players in the first 50 or whatever would be very nice. Again I would much rather have CC, but if we do not get him I would rather have a team we get a better pick from to sign. I also really do not want to have to face him in the NL. If he goes to the Giants that is a rotation I want none of even if their offense is bad.

Sabathia is so good a player that I really don't mind the wait. There really just isn't much more than a handful of pitchers of his quality around. I'd expected to have seen him sign with another team already by this point in the offseason. So, naiive as it may be, I'm just intrigued that the Brewers are still technically in the running.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

TROUBLE BREWIN' IN YANKS' CC CHASE

Prior to Yankee GM Brian Cashman's meeting with CC Sabathia yesterday in Las Vegas, there was a feeling in the baseball universe the stud free-agent lefty would eventually re-sign with the Brewers.

Since the Yankees' six-year, $140 million has been in front of Sabathia for more than a month, there are reasons he hasn't taken it. A popular theory is, he doesn't want to work in The Bronx.

Another is that his wife, Amber, is encouraging him to wait for an offer from a West Coast team that may not be coming - that is, unless the Bay Area product wants to work cheap for the Giants.

Now, there is talk of the Brewers, who have offered five years for $100 million, exploring ways to entice the 28-year-old Sabathia, who went 11-2 with a 1.65 ERA in 17 starts after being acquired from the Indians.

According to a source who has talked to the Brewers, the club has enough money to sweeten the pot and offer "contract flexibility" that could include an opt-out clause after three seasons.

The Yankees have believed it's been between them and the Brewers for a while. The Angels and Giants are looking for hitters before pitchers.

The Angels want to retain switch-hitting first baseman Mark Teixeira, and the Giants are dangling pitcher Jonathan Sanchez in search of a bat but not finding success. They are not shopping hurlers Tim Lincecum and Matt Cain.

"It would have to be a total default position in terms of years and dollars," a person with knowledge of the Giants' position said, regarding Sabathia landing in San Francisco.

I think the Brewers opportunity of landing CC is pretty good, depending on their raised offer.

TROUBLE BREWIN' IN YANKS' CC CHASE

Prior to Yankee GM Brian Cashman's meeting with CC Sabathia yesterday in Las Vegas, there was a feeling in the baseball universe the stud free-agent lefty would eventually re-sign with the Brewers.

This is the first time I have heard the baseball universe thought the Brewers would land CC. Everyone I hear from Stark, to Phillips to anyone else says the Brewers really do not have much of a chance. Some have said the Brewers know they wont get CC, so I do not think it is really the feeling of the baseball universe. I hope the universe is right though.

To me, having an opt-out clause after 3 years makes too much sense. He'll only be 31, I believe, and would still be in line for a huge contract. Perhaps by then the California teams would be in a better position to sign him to a deal, because it seems right now that those West Coast teams have other priorities than pitching. Texiera going somewhere other than LAA certainly changes that. But to me, the opt-out after 3 years makes too much sense for both parties involved.
Follow me on Twitter

He might do it. There is an obvious window right now for the Crew to be contenders and CC knows we have the talent to win NOW, whereas the Giants seemingly won't for a few years (offensively anyway).

An opt-out only hurts us if CC gets seriously injured or somehow becomes ineffective.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

With speculation that the Brewers are raising their offer to close to $120 million over 6 years with an opt-out clause, it appears that a return to Milwaukee may be more than just a pipe-dream. While this excites me, it also scares the hell out of me.

according to Heyman, the opt-out could be after 2 years allowing CC to be a FA when he's just 30 years old. 2 years down the road the economy should be in better shape (one can only hope, right?) and the market for CC might be better. Interesting to see us push hard at least...

http://www.fannation.com/...s-still-in-running-for-cc

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

It means that Olney, former Yankee beat reporter, desperately wants CC on his team. Just like Gammons making up these outlandish trade rumors for the Red Sox every year.

Yeah, I still remember Olney back in July insisting that CC might go to a bigger market team, even as the Brewer trade was practically being announced.

This news today certainly makes a CC return to Milwaukee look a heck of a lot more possible than it did yesterday.

I would love an opt out clause after 2 years. I think we have a good chance at some of our younger pitchers developing by then and we wouldn't need CC as much. It also lowers the risk of a bad injury. I still think he gets injured in the next couple years.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I guess I don't see the incentive on hoping for extra picks at this point. I'm more concerned about winning next year than drafting a bunch of guys that we won't even see in the Majors for three or four years minimum, generally.
Those guys can also be traded before they reach the majors, i.e. LaPorta.

Adam McCalvry is pretty much reporting the same as has already been mentioned.

"LAS VEGAS -- The Brewers may have upped their offer to free-agent ace CC Sabathia before a face-to-face meeting at the Bellagio, and team officials may be mulling another new twist: an opt-out clause midway through the deal.

The Chicago Tribune cited "sources" Monday indicating that the Brewers had already added a sixth year to their initial proposal, and that general manager Doug Melvin was "considering a willingness" to add a clause that would give Sabathia the opportunity to opt out after three seasons. In that scenario, Sabathia could be a free agent again in the 2011-12 offseason as a 31-year-old.

But that report was topped by SI.com, which reported that the opt-out clause could be presented after just two years, when Sabathia would be 30. SI.com was among the outlets reporting that the Brewers were only considering adding the sixth year, and had not yet done so formally.

Sabathia remains the Brewers' top offseason target, and his decision could impact the rest of the team's winter maneuvering..."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/a...otstove2008&fext=.jsp

I still think that Sabathia will sign elsewhere. Hopefully Melvin will get a pretty good idea of whether Sabathia is really serious about possible signing with Milwaukee after talking with his agent today. My fear is that Sabathia's agent leads the Brewers to think they have a good chance, thus putting the Brewers on hold on making any deals. To then only have Sabathia sign with another team and the Brewers end up having to pick up the scraps of what's left or passing on deals that could have really helped them.

It might be a quiet winter meetings for the Brewers as I doubt that Sabathia's agent will lead the Brewers to think anything other than they have a chance. It's in Sabathia's best interest to have the Brewers viewed as a serious contender, even if they really aren't.

I can't even fathom that the Milwaukee Brewers are even rumored to be offering 6 years and $120M to anyone. It is just ridiculous. The opt clause would essentially make it a 3 year deal if he pitches to expectations because he surely could get more monet 3 years from now. I would think if he refused the opt out clause it would be bad for the Crew because he either got hurt or didn't perform to expectations.

Interesting idea. Gives the player insurance if he gets hurt, but still an opportunity to play the market again if he is successful. I kind of like it; but sure comes with more risk for the team then player.

I can't even fathom that the Milwaukee Brewers are even rumored to be offering 6 years and $120M to anyone.
I think all media outlets should start saying "Mark Attanasio" instead of "Milwaukee Brewers"...

As in "Mark Attanasio is rumored to be offering 6 years and 120M"

I just have a hard time believing that Doug Melvin is driving this train.

Archived