Brewer Fanatic

The CC Watch... Latest: Who knows?

What if the Brewers were to do a contract where CC can opt out after just two seasons. One, we'd be substantially increasing the odds we won't be paying for a goose - he's much more likely to stay healthy over two years, and if he does, he'll probably opt out. And two, our offer becomes a lot more attractive. It could be a good way to disguise a long term contract as a short term contract.
I like that idea a lot. The market could be a lot more friendly to big contracts in 2 years also.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really feel that CC is using the Yankee's deal to get some sort of competitive offer from a team he actually wants to play for. If he had no concerns about NY, the NY media, and was truly seeking big dollars, he'd have been a Yankee for three weeks already.
Of course he's using the Yankees deal to get a better offer, but that doesn't mean he's concerned about NYC. Agents always bring up other teams to get their highest bidders to raise their prices. Why do you think the Red Sox are now interested? And CC never struck me as a guy who would be shy about the big-bad-NY-media. This is a guy who sits courtside with LeBron James. He's trying to get the best deal he wants, and I can't blame him. The only reason I want him to hurry up and make a decision is because the suspense is killing me, and the Yankees need to make other plans on starting pitching.

My understanding is that it would be 6/$110 in terms of today's dollars. That is, it sounds like there is significant money in deferred payments. It may be a 6 year $130 million offer that has the equivalence in today's dollars of $110 million.

I think cost of living is overlooked by a lot of people too though. Not just fans but the teams and players as well. There was a post a while back, sorry don't have the time to dig for it, showing how the Yankees offer is the equivalent to Milwaukee offering 13/yr because of cost of living. Wouldn't 5/100 in Milwaukee be more net income to CC than 5/110 in SF anyway?

I agree with HTR, I'm not sure why 6/110 is better than 5/100.

Yeah, doesn't it basically amount to adding a $10 million player option for a sixth year to the 5/$100 deal? That just doesn't add much to the original offer.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

interesting update from mlbtraderumors.com:

"SI.com's Jon Heyman jumps in on the Brewers angle. He says Sabathia is telling friends he expects the Brewers to upgrade their offer soon, perhaps when they get together at the Winter Meetings. Heyman's heard deferred money in the Brewers' current offer makes it closer to $90MM over five years."

Sounds like he may be wanting the Crew to make a bit more of of a push

I think people can focus on the NY media aspect too much. CC may not want to live in NY, or may not want to move his family to NY. It doesn't have to be about the media.

You're right that it's not just about the media. But I think when people say that it's about living in NY, there's an assumption of NY=Manhattan. He could live in Westchester, Greenwich CT, Forest Hill NJ, etc. Even Andy Pettitte, who I think of as a good ol' texas boy, does just fine. I've always believed that Sabathia would ideally want to be in California to be closer to his family, but I just can't see living in the NYC area that much of a deterrent. Then again, I am a Yankee fan and was raised in Jersey. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

At what point do you say enough's enough? I love everything that CC brings to this team, but do we honestly think he will perform at last year's level consistently over the next 5 years? In a perfect world, we keep him at a rate that we can afford. Folks, 4 years 100 million is crazy enough already. I'm officially pulling myself off the CC bandwagon.

These guys are on the road for half the year anyways, and have an offsesason. Where you sign is where you will for only about 3 months a year when all is said and done. It's really not that big of a deal.

OTOH, if he signs with SF that is 3 additional months that he can live in his actual home...instead of being there maybe 5 months out of the year, he can be there 8 months. In addition, he avoids the expense of maintaining a second home in NYC.

http://www.mlbtraderumors...8/12/cc-sabathia-rum.html

Speculation that we could offer an opt-out clause after 3 years, which I would absolutely love. Basically turns this into a 3 year deal, which would be better for us anyways really. We get the benefit of essentially a shorter deal, CC gets the benefit of being able to cash in again (in possibly a more friendly economic climate). Win-Win.

"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

http://www.mlbtraderumors...8/12/cc-sabathia-rum.html

Speculation that we could offer an opt-out clause after 3 years, which I would absolutely love. Basically turns this into a 3 year deal, which would be better for us anyways really. We get the benefit of essentially a shorter deal, CC gets the benefit of being able to cash in again (in possibly a more friendly economic climate). Win-Win.

Did somebody say opt-out clause?

http://www.vujer.com/material/files/Borat_Two_thumbs_up_yours.jpg

Buster Olney reports that the Yankees-Sabathia meeting went "great", whatever that really means.

Well, I'm sure the food was very good. Oh..and the 26 World Championships might have helped too.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I wish we could have meet directly with Sabathia...from everything I've read, it's that the Yankees met directly with CC and his agents and Melvin is ONLY meeting with CC's agent.

Though just because the meeting went "great" doesn't really mean anything. It probably just means that he told them he was interested, which I'm sure he is.

I'm very angry at myself for even hoping that CC returns. All season long I knew it was only for a few months and that he would leave at the end of the season, and I promised myself I wouldn't get my hopes up, even a little, because it would just be too disappointing. Now I read an article that "there was a sense in baseball that he would return" and I can't help but get excited....ugh.

I'm very angry at myself for even hoping that CC returns. All season long I knew it was only for a few months and that he would leave at the end of the season, and I promised myself I wouldn't get my hopes up, even a little, because it would just be too disappointing. Now I read an article that "there was a sense in baseball that he would return" and I can't help but get excited....ugh.

I'm feeling the same way. I just hope this thing just wraps up soon, one way or the other.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Buster Olney reports that the Yankees-Sabathia meeting went "great", whatever that really means.

It means that Olney, former Yankee beat reporter, desperately wants CC on his team. Just like Gammons making up these outlandish trade rumors for the Red Sox every year.

I actually am okay with the Yankee's getting CC, because I think we are guaranteed a first round pick then. If the Giants were to get him we would not and if the Red Sox who are targeting Tex got both then we would not. I am now resigned to not getting CC, but am looking to how we can best restock our farm system. The Yankees getting CC, Sheets being the top Type A free agent for another team, and Shouse getting a deal from a team would give us a ton of picks. 3 in the first and 3 sandwhich if all goes to plan from what I can tell. I could be wrong on that though.

Archived