Brewer Fanatic

The CC Watch... Latest: Who knows?

I really wonder who the two mystery teams are and how they have actually managed to keep this a secret. Or this could all be an elaborate ploy by the Sabathia camp. Maybe there are only 2 offers but they want to teams to think that there are 4? I am not sure of the advantages of that strategy. I guess I have a hard time believing that two teams made offers to CC more than a week ago and absolutely no one within the organization has spilled the beans. Actually it is impossible to believe. The obvious teams who may have made an offer already are SF, LAA, and the LAD but I don't know who else was even showing remote interest in CC.

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really wonder who the two mystery teams are and how they have actually managed to keep this a secret. Or this could all be an elaborate ploy by the Sabathia camp. Maybe there are only 2 offers but they want to teams to think that there are 4?

That seems fairly likely. I can't imagine 2 teams could have possibly made offers that have stayed under the radar for two weeks. Considering he's a 'friend of Sabathia,' I'd take it for what it's worth.

I heard an interesting story today regarding CC. A friend of mine at work came up to me today and said that a girl that hangs out with the guy that sits next to him went to Las Vegas for this weekend. She called the guy that sits next to my friend and asked if he's heard of some CC that played on the Brewers (she obviously doesn't follow sports). Anyway she said that she and her friend were out at a club and met some baseball players and hung out with them last night...one of them being CC and the only other one I heard was an AJ in the Dodgers organization. It sounded like they had plans to meet up tonight as well.

My first thoughts were that it probably was some imposters posing as atheletes to pick up chicks...it probably happens all the time in Las Vegas. But then I remembered that the Winter Meetings are in Las Vegas (next week, right?) so I thought it might have really been CC. If this is true, I find it interesting that he's hanging out with at least one of the Dodgers players.

Just move on and ink Sheets to a favorable contract. Seriously, there are some moves out there that should be staring our club in the face - I'm getting nervous.
That is what I am starting to believe as well. This signing CC stuff is just way to much of a long shot. If I were Melvin and Attanasio I would just move on and starting building this club for 2009. I love Sabathia but there is no way he is playing in Milwaukee again. If we keep Sheets and he stays healthy we would have a nice rotation with him Gallardo, Parra, Bush and Suppan.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

That is what I am starting to believe as well.

Thirded. I think the best thing for this team headed into the winter meetings is for Sheets to accept arbitration tomorrow so that we can head into the meetings with the ability now to address the other holes without waiting for the CC sweepstakes to unfold.

EDIT: And if nothing else, it's nice to see that Doug is meeting with CC's agent right away on Monday to hopefully finally get some feedback on what's going on here. I understand that CC's camp is probably not in a situation to want to rule out any potential destination (especially with only two teams with confirmed bids on the table), but it's certainly time that they tell the Brewers if there's any realistic chance or not.

EDIT: And if nothing else, it's nice to see that Doug is meeting with CC's agent right away on Monday to hopefully finally get some feedback on what's going on here. I understand that CC's camp is probably not in a situation to want to rule out any potential destination (especially with only two teams with confirmed bids on the table), but it's certainly time that they tell the Brewers if there's any realistic chance or not.
I agree. As much as I want CC back, I am almost hoping they just tell Melvin on Monday "There's no chance we're going with your team," so the Brewers can immediately puruse other options (and I'm sure he already is examining them).

EDIT: MLB Trade Rumors has a story up, citing a Newsday source who says the Brewers could be upping their offer to 6 years/110 million. I still don't think that gets CC back, but you certainly can't say the Brewers aren't trying at this point.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Per the JS Blog, a NY Paper is reporting that the Brewers might be willing to go up to 6 years/110 million for CC.

I'm assuming the only way he would take that contract is either incentives or some type of favorable out clauses. There has to be some incentive given the gap with the Yankees for CC to sign a lower deal, right?

I agree with invader. A 6 year deal wouldn't be terrible with an incentive laden and out clause contract. And who knows, a 6 year's for CC may not be that bad. Its not like we would be giving that deal to an injury prone guy (not referring to Sheets just a general comment). Still think they are stretching it if they think they can get him back, but they are giving it the best shot that a small market team can.

"$140/6 to pitch in a media and competitive maelstrom 3000 miles from home

versus, say

$115/5 to pitch to a hometown hero's reception in the NL West where you can bat and live 20 minutes away from the mansion you built in the town where you grew up"

I believe you are overrating the whole location aspect of this. These guys are on the road for half the year anyways, and have an offsesason. Where you sign is where you will for only about 3 months a year when all is said and done. It's really not that big of a deal. Personally, I also doubt that CC is too concerned with the media in NYC. He seems like a guy that can handle it.

What if the Brewers were to do a contract where CC can opt out after just two seasons. One, we'd be substantially increasing the odds we won't be paying for a goose - he's much more likely to stay healthy over two years, and if he does, he'll probably opt out. And two, our offer becomes a lot more attractive. It could be a good way to disguise a long term contract as a short term contract.

TH is reporting the Red Sox will meet with him next week. Being one of the few teams that can legitimately afford him, I suppose it makes sense for them to at least talk to him, but I was under the impression that they wouldn't be persuing him at all....
They aren't, but if it helps the Yankees spend more money, they might as well meet with him.

I really feel that CC is using the Yankee's deal to get some sort of competitive offer from a team he actually wants to play for. If he had no concerns about NY, the NY media, and was truly seeking big dollars, he'd have been a Yankee for three weeks already.

I believe you are overrating the whole location aspect of this. These guys are on the road for half the year anyways, and have an offsesason. Where you sign is where you will for only about 3 months a year when all is said and done. It's really not that big of a deal. Personally, I also doubt that CC is too concerned with the media in NYC. He seems like a guy that can handle it.
We may be overrating it (as much as you over underrating it), but CC is clearly concerned about it. I really think he has no intention of signing with NY unless he fails to get a decent offer from a California team. And the way it looks now, there's still a pretty good chance that CC ends up in NY if San Francisco's best offer is less than Milwaukee's, Anaheim remains in the chase for Tex, and if the Dodgers will only make an offer if "CC wants us to." (By the way, what the hell kind of negotiating tactic is that? Or at least admitting that through the media.)
Gruber Lawffices

I find this comment from McCalvy's latest article pretty interesting:

One of Sabathia's other Brewers teammates, who did not want to jump publicly into the fray, said that infielder Bill Hall spoke with Sabathia earlier this month and came away feeling that Milwaukee's offer -- reported widely but not confirmed by the club at five years and $100 million -- could be good enough. That was the day before the Yankees jumped in with a six-year, $140 million offer, and the player said Hall had not heard from Sabathia since.
Sabathia had to know New York's offer was going to be similar to what Johan Santana signed last year (that was the speculation well before free agency started) and that other teams would get into the running and likely outbid the Brewers. If CC was really considering the Brewers initial offer as "good enough" or if he was even close to that mindset, the Brewers might have a better shot at resigning him than I thought.

(edited to fix formatting)

Nice to hear, but one has to take such "I heard from so-and-so who heard from someone else" type comments with a huge grain of salt.

http://www.txroadrunners.com/images/pics/GemTrailsOfEastTexas2005/GrandSaline/BigRockOfSalt.jpg

Archived