Brewer Fanatic

The CC Watch... Latest: Who knows?

Well, really, four days isn't that much time.
I think it is considering there has not been any news of any offers from other teams. If it's just the Yankees and the Brewers right now, are they waiting in hopes that some other teams submit offers? I really think that CC would like to avoid NY if possible and is hoping for a competitive offer from either the Angels or the Dodgers who are both rapped up in making offers for Texeira and Ramirez. I don't know exactly how these things work, but is there any chance that his agent would contact one of these teams and say "Hey, are you guys interested or what?"

Also, was Melvin's initial offer his final offer? It sounds like he's expecting a counter-offer. If so, does that mean he's still has room to add a little more?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't see why 6/140 won't win.

I'd love to put money on CC getting more than that.

Probably a bit more, but I'd be pretty surprised if it was much higher. I think there are only a few teams who could even offer 140, and there's a reason the Yankees made such a huge offer right away--they're trying to discourage other teams from getting involved. I don't expect many others to show interest when the Yankees are opening with 140.

I'd be somewhat surprised if the total offer exceeded 150 mil.

I guess if someone is offering me 6/140 or 7/165 I take the 7/165 no matter where it is. I wouldn't care if it were Toronto, NYY, or Pittsburgh. For that kinda cabbage, I'm all yours.
I might be the only one, but once I'm eclipsing 100 MILLION DOLLARS I'm going to be where I want. Whether you make 140 or 165 your family will be set for generations, might as well be where you prefer to be.

Someone mentioned (in the blog comments) that Peter Gammons reported earlier this week that the Dodgers were getting into the bidding for Sabathia. I hadn't heard that anywhere, so not sure if it's true or not. Even if he did report it, it could just be typical ESPN type of connect the dots bluster. As noted, the Dodgers seem to be most focused on Manny Ramirez right now, where as the Angels seem to be focused on Mark Texeira. It's unlikely either team would be able to sign their respective targets, and then sign Sabathia as well.

It really is interesting that the Brewers seem to be the only other team competing with the Yankees. The fact that we haven't heard more by now, since the Yankees made their offer last Friday, make me think Milwaukee has more than a sliver of chance. Maybe not a big chance, but some chance yet.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

It would blow my mind if there end up being no other offers. Really, no other team can afford to even top 5/$100? That can't be true. At the same time, it's not like it's been a secret that CC is going to be a free agent, there's no reason why an interested team wouldn't have submitted an offer by now..

Something is up. The silence is deafening. My guess is CC wants no part of NY and was planning on just using the Yanks to get the most out of Milwaukee or some other west coast team. You know the union is in CC's ear constantly. I'm sure his agent wants him to take the Yanks offer. There very well could be internal issues between CC, his agent, and the union. Why else would they be stalling? Maybe they are contacting other teams and letting them know they'll take less to play on the west coast? I'm guessing CC said "no...I'm not playing in NY" There is no reason to stall if he was really willing to play for NY.

I doubt we'll get him, but I don't think the Yanks will get him either. If CC was willing to move his family he would have done it by now. He played in the upper midwest for many years now. He's obviously not interested in moving from Cal. Living in NY half the season doesn't really work, if you have a family in Cal.

I bet the next call to Doug is "give us this...and we'll sign." and that # is probably pretty close to what we already offered. Unless of course there is another team involved ...like the Dodgers and they are just waiting for the Dodgers offer? I really sounds like no one else is in the bidding though.

It would blow my mind if there end up being no other offers. Really, no other team can afford to even top 5/$100? That can't be true. At the same time, it's not like it's been a secret that CC is going to be a free agent, there's no reason why an interested team wouldn't have submitted an offer by now..
I think other teams are hopeful they can get more bang for their buck by signing one of the other free agent starters. Let's say you already have a pretty good 3 or 4 rotation. So all you really need is to improve on the 4 or 5 hole. No doubt CC is a HOF caliber pitcher, but does Boston really need to pay him $140 million? They won 95 games last year and already have 4 pretty good starters, not counting Buchholz. How many more wins would CC bring over say, someone like Lowe or Garland or Burnett? The Red Sox are in a great position to take a risk with Sheets. They could end up with the same results as CC, while saving tens of millions of dollars.

The Brewers wouldn't be making an offer at all if CC wasn't a Brewer last year. The only teams that should consider CC are those that are rich, playoff contenders, and have a gaping hole at the top of the rotation. That leaves the Dodgers and Yankees, and not too many other teams. I suspect the Angels could get involved as well.

I thought this poll was funny on newsday, it doesn't even give the possibility that CC will choose another team.

What's your gut feeling on what the Yankees will do this offseason?

They'll make a big splash for CC and not much else.

They'll get CC and load up on quality pitchers.

They'll get CC, Teixeira and pretty much everyone on their shopping list.

They'll shock everyone and pass on CC and be relatively quiet like last year.

TH reporting the Giants may be in the mix.

I'm already emotionally prepared for the fact that CC will be pitching elsewhere next year, but it would be especially brutal if I had to watch him pitch against the Brewers on Opening Day here next Spring

Heck, the fans here already think they're getting Prince and JJ for Matt Cain….

Ahhhh...if you think about, there's really only one offer out there for CC. 140 million for six years pretty much makes it the only offer. If I were the Dodgers I'd offer him 130 for six years. I think he'd take it and the Yankees be damned! Then if Tex signs with the Angeks soon after, the Yankees might get outmanuevered and have to spend money on Derek Lowe and whatnot. I'd laugh so hard...oh life would be good.

Wouldn't Lincecum start opening day for the Giants?

Steak and lobster. They could just flip a coin.

I honestly believe CC enjoyed his time in Milwaukee. July, August, and September was an absolute thrillride for everybody involved in our organization. But, is he really going to pass up an additional $40 million for comfort? Maybe I'm a greedy turd, but if I'm CC, I'm taking the most money.

Someone mentioned (in the blog comments) that Peter Gammons reported earlier this week that the Dodgers were getting into the bidding for Sabathia. I hadn't heard that anywhere, so not sure if it's true or not.
http://www.nj.com/yankees...athia_whats_the_hold.html

It looks like the Dodgers may indeed be getting in on the bidding. If they offer something between the Brewers and Yankees (6 for 120ish), I definitely see him taking their offer to play closer to home. It might suck but it could be better in the long run so we don't have 1/4 -- 1/5 of our payroll locked up to a guy who plays once every 5 days.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

There is no doubt in my mind that Melvin will have another offer on the table. I realize quite a few players are arby eligible, but there is money to spend. Mark A didn't buy this team for the investment, he wants to win.

I don't understand why the Brewers wouldn't make that 5/100 deal into a 6/125 deal. Sure, it's 1.2 more per season. But the way salaries go, CC may not be in the top five salaries in the NL when that contract is up. 6/125 isn't that far from 6/140.

The other option is to go after 2 "cheaper" pitchers. I personally would offer Burnett 4/60 right now. he could actually be more effective than CC was against the Cubs. There just isn't alot of left handed power in the NL Central anymore. Berkman, Bruce, and Votto are about the only non Brewers that come to mind.

Then you could put a package together for another frontline starter. Peavy, Cain, or Grienke come to mind. I think Escobar would be the biggest bargaining chip needed. A package of Escobar, Lorenzo Cain, and Salome may get your choice of the three.

Would you rather have:

A. CC (20+mil), Suppan (12), Gallardo, Parra, Bush

or

B. Cain (7mil?), Burnett (15), Gallardo, Parra, Bush with Suppan being dealt somewhere.

Mark A didn't buy this team for the investment, he wants to win.

While I agree that he wants to win, I think that he did buy the team for the investment, and that winning & profits tend to go hand-in-hand

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Mark A didn't buy this team for the investment, he wants to win.

While I agree that he wants to win, I think that he did buy the team for the investment, and that winning & profits tend to go hand-in-hand

I also think it is a little bit niave to think that Mark didn't buy the Brewers because he thought he could make money on it. Sure he wants to win, but he wouldn't have bought the team if he didn't think it was a worthwhile investment. He "might" have lost money this year but I am sure his investment has seen an incredible increase in value since he bought the team. If he were to sell the team tomorrow, he would make a huge profit over what he paid for it.

Archived