Brewer Fanatic

The CC Watch... Latest: Who knows?

This Players Union stuff is despicable. They shouldn't be pressuring a player where to sign and should be worried about the well being of a player and not just money. Why can't they also be in concern of what the player wants and not a few extra million when the contract is already off the charts? That really ticks me off. The Players Union is worse than Scott Boras in my mind. We'd a have a salary cap and be a lot better of a sport if not for them.

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought I say an article/opinion debunking the rumor that the PU was putting pressure on CC? It basically says the PU puts pressure on young players not to sign long term deals prior to FA but they let players due what they want to do once the reach Free Agency. It is kind of funny that look down upon young kids taking financial security rather than risking their future for a couple extra million bucks.

I forget where I read it, but it was an article about Sabathia that said the player's union actually doesn't get involved in free agency as much as one would think -- the real pressure is on the young arby players to take deals year-to-year rather than sign away a couple years of free agency in exchange for financial certainty. The general feeling among baseball vets is that players like Sabathia have earned the right to choose where they play, so they try not to get too involved. Obviously, it's better for the union if he takes the Yankees deal, but at least they acknowledge he has the right to go where he'd be happiest.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I think that if CC won 20 games and or the Cy Young award he is worth the 6 years 140 (as much as anybody can be worth that much)

I would match 6 years 140 mil. However I would structure it as 5 years 105 Mil guarenteed with another 10 mil in bonuses (2 mil for every year that he wins 20 games or a Cy Young) and a 6th year mutual option for 25 Mil.

It probably can't be structured that way, but I would think in that scenario you can justify 6 years 140 mil.

I just think CC would be happier in the NL....I guess we will see.

Lots of things...make a ton more donations to charities, buy another couple mansions, buy a couple yachts, set up even more of your friends and relatives to be well off, invest in a bunch of business ventures, etc. I get your point, Rillo, but $30 or 40 million is an enormous amount of money. Let's not act like it's just some small chunk of change.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Alright, I'm going to play a little hypothetical here, but bear with me.

So lets just say that the Brewers fall down to 4 years/100 Million and the Yankees go up to 6 year/150 Million.

This is the exact same amount of money per year.

Now, I understand that the yankees are offering 50 million more, but what if we look at his next contract? He's 28 right now, he'd be 32 at the end of the Brewer's offer. He'd be 34 at the end of the NY deal. He'd be in line for another 5 year deal at the end of the Brewer's offer and probably not so much at the end of the NY contract, more like a 3-4 year deal. If we take natural regression into account, CC should be performing better at the end of the Milwaukee contract than at the end of the NY contract. I guess the point i'm trying to make, is that if CC is willing to take the risk of him being productive over the next 4 years I could see him making more money over the course of his career if he starts with Milwaukee's contract.

Just a thought.

Come on Doug and Mark, match the Yankees 6 years /$140M offer please.
First post here, and don't hate me given my username as I'm not trying to start anything...

Let me just say here that the 6/$140M that my Yankees are offering is a starting point. From everything I've been hearing, the Yankees are, flat out, not going to lose out on this. If the Yankees need to go 7/$175M I have no doubt they will do so. If they need to go 7/$182M, they will do so.

Fact is, Sabathia would probably have to turn down upwards of $30M to say no to the Yankees.

I guess the point i'm trying to make, is that if CC is willing to take the risk of him being productive over the next 4 years I could see him making more money over the course of his career if he starts with Milwaukee's contract.
I understand the theory, but players go for the guaranteed money. What happens if Sabathia blows out his elbow in the 4th year of the contract? He'll have just cost himself a ton of money. Honestly, I don't see how the Brewers have a chance in this. If Sabathia turns down the money, it'll most likely be for the West Coast, but fact is it sounds like if everything is equal (and those are the key words), he'd choose the West Coast. Things will not be close to equal.

In your opinion, would the Yankees go 10yrs/300million if Sabathia told them that is what it would take?
No way. That would probably be twice what anybody else is offering and I would be shocked if they went more than 7 years. My guess is the Yankees do have a maximum number in their head and it is probably something crazy like 7 years $189M at the highest.

I'll add that the Yankees have very rarely decided they really want a guy and then not gotten him. There will be a full court press with some Yankee players (Swisher is a friend of Sabathia's by the way) and coaches, along with the crazy money. My personal prediction: Sabathia signs before the Winter Meetings for 7/$175M.

When the Yankees want a free agent, they're going to make sure that nobody's going to outbid them. The only way they'll be unable to sign a player that they want is if he really doesn't want to play for them.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

So lets just say that the Brewers fall down to 4 years/100 Million and the Yankees go up to 6 year/150 Million.

I said pretty much the same thing in post 427. Some people might find it crazy to leave that kinda money on the table. I don't know, once you have 100 million in your account I wouldn't lose sleep over the "gamble" that you will get at least another 50 in your next deal. Like zman said, he will only be 32, if he doesn't have a major injury or completely regress, he will get another nice deal. Heck, even if he regresses to average, which I don't see happening, he easily tops Suppan's deal. Even if he blows out his arm he has over 100 million dollars, maybe I'm crazy but once I'm that rich I'd be willing to take the gamble to play somewhere I'm happy. Plus, he'd be a hero here, an all time legend, one of the most loved sports figures in this state and in the teams history.

Let me just say here that the 6/$140M that my Yankees are offering is a starting point. From everything I've been hearing, the Yankees are, flat out, not going to lose out on this. If the Yankees need to go 7/$175M I have no doubt they will do so. If they need to go 7/$182M, they will do so.

Fact is, Sabathia would probably have to turn down upwards of $30M to say no to the Yankees.

At least by matching the Yankees' $140M offer, it would force them to raise their offer to insane heights. I sure wouldn't mind seeing them blow over $180M on a pitcher in this economy.

If CC signs with the Brewers for $140M, I would be delighted. But I won't be upset if CC cost the Yankees over $180M though.

I guess if someone is offering me 6/140 or 7/165 I take the 7/165 no matter where it is. I wouldn't care if it were Toronto, NYY, or Pittsburgh. For that kinda cabbage, I'm all yours.

Not only am I and the wife taken care of, the kids and their kids and even farther down the line are ok. That's what's important.

Oh-

and for those of you unable to comprehend the full reality of that kind of money, I can kind of give you an easy comparison I sometimes find myself dealing with.

Go to McDonalds and instead of ordering off the dollar menu, you can go all out and get the quarter pounder, large fries, a soda, and desert!

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

From everything I've been hearing, the Yankees are, flat out, not going to lose out on this.

Well I've read Sheehan too. Unless you're talking about some actual sources (not trying to claim you have no credibility -- I certainly know you could have much more reliable sources than the NY news media), I don't see why that line should be treated any differently from Sheenan's Post article claiming the Yanks would nullify any bidding competition with their first offer... only to see the rumors right after the 6/$140M offer to CC say that he turned it down.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Go to McDonalds and instead of ordering off the dollar menu, you can go all out and get the quarter pounder, large fries, a soda, and desert!

Jamie, I am not a fan of McDonald's burgers and I live in Arizona, so I get bored of desert. Now if you start talking dessert, then I'm in.

Solution: Demand from the Yankees that he would have the ability to opt out of his contract after 4 years.

I don't know about anyone else, but I kind of expected this to be just about done by now. I thought this whole thing would happen pretty quickly once other teams were able to submit offers. At least the impression that I got from Sabathia was that he didn't want it to be dragged out. At any rate, if the NY offer is true, it doesn't sound like he jumped on it right away. Any word of any offers from any other teams? Have they made a counter offer back to Milwaukee? If so are the Brewers mulling it over? There hasn't been a whole lot of noise regarding CC over the last 3 or 4 days.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Well, really, four days isn't that much time. The lack of info is a bit frustrating. For all we know, CC's agent could be hammering out contract details with the Yankees right now, or they could be talking the Brewers today. No way to know until it's reported somewhere.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived