Brewer Fanatic

The CC Watch... Latest: Who knows?

There is a pretty good chance that CC is a Brewer next year. For all this talk about how there are all these teams out there with money to burn and that is the only factor in his decision, is simply not true. What does CC want in an ideal world? My guess is money, to play near his home, to be on a winning ballclub and to have the chance to swing the bat. When it comes to money we are only dealing with only a couple of teams that really have the money to spend and still offer CC most of what he wants (Yankees and Angels). The Dodgers don't have the money at this point in time and won't be able to pony up. Cubs no. Braves no. Giants no. Oakland definitely no. So on and so on.

We have an owner and a city that has fallen head over heels for CC and the owners, yes plural, will spend the money on him, trust me. We won't be able to offer 6,7 years but CC might very well go for 4 or 5 years for about same type of money that the Yankees will spend for 6, 7 years. New York just doesn't seem like a CC type of town and CC knows it. That leaves the Angels. I will venture to guess that there is just as good a chance of CC agreeing to a contract with Milwaukee in early November as I do of him going to the Angels. Its a two team race unless the Yankees blow away the Santana deal and offer an AROD type of blow away deal that no one could say no to.

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that I just don't see CC saying yes to the Yankees. He's struck me as a rare breed of individual that values more than the best contract that is offered to him, and I just don't seem him accepting the whole Yankee fanfare and over pressure. I think he'll value more than just the contract.

Now, that doesn't mean we still get him, as I think staying here means his intangibles are just as big in his eyes as the money is, and that's an even more rare breed.

I had read somewhere a bit ago that Glavine and Smoltz were both highly disappointed in how their year turned out in Atlanta, and they felt bad for the organization and fans as well. Supposedly, assuming they were healthy to do so, they were interested in coming back on an incentives based contract for 1 final hurrah together. I have an infinite amount of respect for people who do something like that, who value who they're working for, what they're working for, more just the dollar. I've long respected both of them and that would cement it for me. There are players who are more than just players, and I can see CC being that type of guy as well, and thus, I just cannot picture him as a Yankee.

Does CC's clean bill of health make his contract more easily insured? I'm not nearly as concerned with his production slipping as much as I am about the potential to be a 20 million dollar spot on the 60 day Dl. If we can insure a good deal of his contract, that would really help limit our exposure to a catastrophic injury

CC could easily turn into the next Livan Hernandez so I'd look out in giving him 7 years.

Here are Livan Hernandez's ERA+s by year: 127, 85, 93, 114, 77, 88, 141, 126, 102, 91, 80, 125, 95, 71, 76

Sabathia: 102, 100, 122, 106, 104, 140, 143, 162

I don't think it's a fair comparison to CC. I want no part of 7 years, either, but Hernandez had one exceptional year and a bunch of mediocre ones while CC has put up three straight spectacular years after five solid ones. CC's also more reliant on the K to get outs and that's a trait that tends to stay pretty constant.

I know what CC has said about wanting to hit but I don't know how much that would factor into his decision. We need some sort of list that handicaps the odds of CC going to each team. No clue how to go about doing that though. Dodgers, Angels, Astros, Phillies, Yankees, Red Sox, Tigers, Brewers all seem to have a chance at him. What about the Orioles, Blue Jays, Rangers though? I know certain teams are the typical spenders like the Mets but after Santana would they have anywhere near the amount of money it would take to get CC?

I know it's a cliche, but CC is the Brewers' Reggie White. The deal needs to be done. There is insurance available for long term deals if he was to get hurt, that shouldn't be an excuse. They need to get creative and find a way to dump Suppan (even if they pay up to half his contract). If Marquis Grissom could be moved, I think anybody can.

I think the best we could offer him is 90 mill over 3 years. We can't afford to offer him the 6 years another team may give him but I think we could do 90 over 3 that is 30 mill a season and you know he could still get another big pay day after 3 years. But I won't hold my breath on that deal.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Either way, I am a CC fan from now on and will root for him against any team besides the Crew!

I agree with this statement...until he signs with the Cubs. Then I will dislike him as much as I dislike the rest of the Cubs.

Edited: I guess I didn't get far enough into this thread...you all discussed this possibility.

No way we pay him 90 million over 3 years.

As much as we would all like to keep him the brewers can not afford to tie up 33-40% of payroll in a pitcher who only plays every 5th game.

Good teams have a bunch of good players not one star and a bunch of rookies/role players.

There is insurance available for long term deals if he was to get hurt, that shouldn't be an excuse.

The premiums for a 5+ year deal at $20 mil+/year would not be insignificant, to say the least. And dumping Suppan is not going to help pay for CC's contract in 2013.

I think CC is going to get a huge deal. 6 years, $140 mil.

This is going to get crazy with the rumors and everyone's "sources" until he signs with someone. I read on 2 different sites already that CC was rumored to be at the Bucks preseason game tonight in one of the luxury boxes (obviously likely 99% untrue).

I read on 2 different sites already that CC was rumored to be at the Bucks preseason game tonight in one of the luxury boxes (obviously likely 99% untrue).

Wow, that sounds really interesting. It's probably just something to do. But I'm surprised he's still in town.

Ken Rosenthal (who I know many don't think knows anything) has a posting on fsn.com with odds on CC. He currently has the Brewers deadlast at 100:1. I ]think he's a moron, and I really have a hard time believe some of the other teams he lists off will make a serious run at CC.

Brewers, 100-1: While both sides are saying all the right things, there's just no way the Brewers will prevail in such a heated market.

http://msn.foxsports.com/...P=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=49

Ken Rosenthal (who I know many don't think knows anything) has a posting on fsn.com with odds on CC. He currently has the Brewers deadlast at 100:1. I ]think he's a moron, and I really have a hard time believe some of the other teams he lists off will make a serious run at CC.

Brewers, 100-1: While both sides are saying all the right things, there's just no way the Brewers will prevail in such a heated market.

http://msn.foxsports.com/...P=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=49

The total of all his "odds" are 143%.

The marginal value of each additional million goes down as you get into the ridiculous dollar amounts CC will approach. That said, whoever wins the CC Sabathia sweepstakes is also likely to lose it.
A million bucks is still a million bucks no matter how many millions you're dealing with.

But then again, what can't you do with 110 million that you can't with 120?

The value of marginal wins goes up as you get higher in win totals. What that means is when you are talking about top end players on playoff calibre teams their value just goes up and up instead of going down like you expect. A player like CC on a playoff calibre team is more valuable than his stats suggest, not less valuable.

I guess you wonder if for a team like the Brewers, is CC the difference between making the playoffs or not?

I do believe in the mystical ability for a player to make his teammates better. It's a mental thing. So although it's silly, I feel like a pitcher like CC gives other guys a better opportunity to win. These types of guys just seem to cool things off and keep the flow going.

Well CC was the difference in the reason the Brewers made the playoffs this year, so the answer to that question is definitely yes. I agree that I go absolutely no longer than five years on Sabathia--preferably four, but he has no reason to accept that. I'll give the Brewers about a 10% chance of signing him, and me a 5% chance of being happy with it. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

http://msn.foxsports.com/...C-K9B140813162&ATT=49

What a joke!!!! The guy didn't put more than 2 seconds of thoughts into this article after mentioning the Yankees and Angels.

Yes, the Yankees might very well not be outbid but I don't know if CC wants to be in that circus, under those big bright lights day in and day out. 10 to 1

The Angels have the best odds of getting CC. They can offer CC everything he wants except to swing the bat on a regular basis. If they offer, he will come. Out of curiousity, what happens to KRod as he is a FA. Do we make a play on him? 2 to 1

Mets. Dream on. Not going to happen with all the money they have invested everywhere else. Lower odds than the Brewers like 50 to 1.

Dodgers don't really have the money. My guess is Derrick Lowe gets re-signed at a fraction of the cost it would take to get CC and they spend their money on another pitcher and maybe picking up the option on Manny who has been huge for them. Lower odds than the Brewers like 50 to 1.

Boston. No. Thats not how they operate. Lower odds than the Brewers. 50 to 1

Houston. No and I can't believe they were even brought up. They will sign Sheets and be very happy in doing it. Way lower odds than the Brewers. 75 to 1

Giants. Again NO WAY. Why they have better odds than Milwaukee is mind boggling. Because they are from California. What a nut job. 1000 to 1 and very confident in saying that.

Cubs. I don't see them committing HUGE dollars while they are in the process of selling the team. 50 to 1

Braves. Have they ever spent huge money on a free agent. Last I remember was Maddux when they had all the rest of the pieces in place. 100 to 1

Brewers. The so called heated market is an exaggeration. Lots of clubs like to talk the big talk but won't walk the walk. The Brewers will provide a better deal than most on this list and had the advantage of showing CC what Milwaukee is like. This club drew over 3,000,000 fans this year. Thats a lot of dough. This team finally made the playoffs and hoopla has been incredible over this team. The owners are definitely swept up in CC mania and their checkbooks will be open for CC, as complete a package as you can get. I don't know if it is the smart thing to do but they will make a big time pitch for CC. 8 to 1 odds. Really depends on the Angels if they want to spend that kind of money (remember they need to determine what to do with KRod and Vlad) and than if the Yankees offer a ridiculous offer that no one can refuse (can they really do that with their already huge payroll).

Well CC was the difference in the reason the Brewers made the playoffs this year, so the answer to that question is definitely yes. I agree that I go absolutely no longer than five years on Sabathia--preferably four, but he has no reason to accept that. I'll give the Brewers about a 10% chance of signing him, and me a 5% chance of being happy with it. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

If we do happen to sign CC, Melvin will have to get a little creative in filling out the rest of the ballclub. I.e. trading Prince for centerfielder with a good OBP and a decent relief pitcher in return. Then convincing JJ to move to thirdbase and bring up our younger players up right away in Escobar and Nelson with Gamel at first at some point in time. Keeping Weeks and looking at McClung as a closer.

I think in the end, that despite what Sabathia or Attanasio might say, there just isnt any way that the Brewers can afford CC Sabathia.

Once the final bill arrives and Marky Mark sees that he has lost money, he is going to step back on big talk about signing Sabathia long term. Add to that that Milwaukee's financial situation as a small market team make the risk too big to take him on. The last thing in the world this team could handle would be to over pay what they could, and then have Barry Zito part II on their hands. It could destroy the franchise financially for years. Another thought is that if they had intended on resigning him, then why abuse him the way they did for 3 months? If this is the case, it gives great credence to the thought that the management of this team has no clue what they are doing, just flying by the seat of their pants (see also Ned Yost's firing).

The public doesnt get to see this in Attanasio, but I have heard that working inside of the Milwaukee Brewers is not a fun job to have anymore. Its all about raising money, making money, running a business, not really about baseball much anymore. He may want his consumer to think they want to and can sign Sabathia, like any ambitious CEO might about his product, but in the end, he will realize it is too risky and too expensive to take that gamble on. Its a marketing ploy at best.

Add to this that Sabathia has expressed an interest numerous times of playing closer to home. Dodgers or Angels will be the winners I bet.

Archived