Brewer Fanatic

The CC Watch... Latest: Who knows?

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It does look like TH amended his blog. This is the blog entry that garnered attention:http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/34501544.html . If you go to the Brewers Blogs section of the JS, you don't see that entry anymore, you see this: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/34490694.html Total speculation on my part, but it looks like Melvin may have put in a call to TH after his blog was posted and let TH know that he took some comments from Melvin the wrong way.

All away games are taxed in the state they are played in. So its on only half the games. So you're talking maybe $100-$200k, not enough to really worry about unless the Brewers do something much more significant.

Most states tax it based on games and if it's a 5% gap that's a $1 million difference per year on a $20 million per contract. It's still probably not enough to sway one way. The only thing I could see is going to a state that doesn't have income taxes, but I don't know if teams in those states will be all that interested in CC. New York is pretty tough on taxes. I know Jeter got audited a year or so ago based on his 'dwelling'. He has residence in Florida...and a very expensive condo in NY that he didn't claim residence and got busted IIRC. Taxes aren't going to matter much when each state his taxed more or less that has the money and contracts have gotten so high that the difference is minimal.

Well, if CC is really going to reject the Yankees offer, it's already way out of the Brewers' stratosphere at this point. I don't see any reason why Melvin can't start making offers to other players at this point, rather than wait for the inevitable.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Fangraphs did a quick look at what Sabathia is worth, and find him to be a 6year/$162 million value. So the Yankee offer is lowball

http://www.fangraphs.com/...-agent-values-cc-sabathia

I don't think $5.5M is the proper FA win value, MGL and Tango have it at $4.8M and those two numbers are too far apart. I also don't see how anyone can assume a pitchers 26-28 year seasons are going to represent his 29-34 year old seasons very well. I'd expect him to lose at least 5% value per year over that stretch with very little chance at improvement and a LOT of risk for large regression in IP is not ERA. All in all I think you are looking at something like 4.5 wins per year at $5M tops which is $22.5M a year.

Someone is going to overpay him.

Well, if CC is really going to reject the Yankees offer, it's already way out of the Brewers' stratosphere at this point. I don't see any reason why Melvin can't start making offers to other players at this point, rather than wait for the inevitable.

CC could reject the Yankees offer because he may not want to play in NY. Melvin has said that he will talk to CC's agent middle of this week. At that point Melvin is going to ask if CC has any desire to play in Milwaukee and what it will take to have him stay. If the response from the agent is beyond what Melvin thinks is appropriate, Melvin will say so and will start focusing elsewhere. If CC is willing to take less to stay in Milwaukee, Melvin and the agent will exchange some numbers.

I expect that we will hear something from Melvin next week. Most likely it will be that CC isn't ready to commit to signing with the Brewers at this time and that the Brewers have to move on to make sure that they don't lose out on improving their team.

I would get a lot of pleasure out of C.C. turning down the Yankees offer and taking less money elsewhere even if it's not Milwaukee.
Very much agree here!!

Honestly, CC is one of my fave players, always has been and has made a permanent place in my heart for what he did last year....

I think CC is genuine, and no matter what contract he takes he will be rich beyond rich....

However for a guy that 'really likes Milwaukee/wants to be in the NL to hit/would like to go to the west coast' if he pulls a totally 180 and does the opposite of all of those by signing with the Yankees I say *explitive here* to all those money hungry *explitive* major leaguers....however until that happnes I will hold out hope that CC is one of the good ones

Come on Doug and Mark, match the Yankees 6 years /$140M offer please.
Haven't we learned anything the last couple of years? In 6 years, $140M will be chump change by MLB standards. We should just spend, spend, spend now and worry about paying it off later. Anyway, if we can't find a way to pay it off, maybe we could declare bankruptcy and keep on going business-as-usual like the airlines...or maybe we can ask the government for a bail-out. That's what everyone else does...

Well it's been a couple of days since the Yankee's made their offer and CC hasn't yet (to our knowledge) called Melvin to officially turn down the Brewers and now there's stories being written in NY (that have been denied) that the union (no surprise) is pressuring CC to take the Yankee offer. All that might be a good sign but this all needs to end soon so Melvin can focus on other needs.

We should just spend, spend, spend now and worry about paying it off later. Anyway, if we can't find a way to pay it off, maybe we could declare bankruptcy and keep on going business-as-usual like the airlines...or maybe we can ask the government for a bail-out. That's what everyone else does...
This has nothing to do with CC Sabathia, even tangentially. Please keep political commentary here or elsewhere on the internets. Thank you.

Todd Jones article.

Taxes. Some state and local governments believe that if we earn money in their jurisdictions, we should pay taxes there, too. So we pay something in almost every city in which we play. Six games at Fenway Park a season means paying state tax in Massachusetts and city tax to Boston. Of course, we're also taxed by the home cities in which we play as well as the places where we live in the offseason. We like road games in Texas and Florida because there's no state income tax in those places.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=209444http://www.sportingnews.c...rn/viewtopic.php?t=209444

Archived