Brewer Fanatic

The CC Watch... Latest: Who knows?

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just read in the JS today that "Sabathia had a phone conversation with Yankees captian Derek Jeter". Did anyone see this anywhere else? Not that it's news but I would have thought it would have been mentioned somewhere. I would expect numerous phone calls like that from players from many teams (including Brewer players that knew him best)...but it's the Yankees so it has be news!!

Just read in the JS today that "Sabathia had a phone conversation with Yankees captian Derek Jeter". Did anyone see this anywhere else? Not that it's news but I would have thought it would have been mentioned somewhere. I would expect numerous phone calls like that from players from many teams (including Brewer players that knew him best)...but it's the Yankees so it has be news!!

http://www.nydailynews.co..._spoken_to_cc_sabath.html

Haudricourt did report on the Sabathia/Jeter conversation, as I recall.

I don't get why the Giants would go out and sign Sabathia. As noted, they already have one pitcher with a monster contract. Also, they're probably still a year or two away from being serious contenders. I know he lives out there, but I doubt he's going to take some deep discount to play there.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

In case there were still some people hoping that the Brewers had a shot at Sabathia, this pretty much makes it clear that he's not coming back to the Brewers. From the N.Y. Post, along with some quotes from the article.

"YANKEES READY TO BLOW AWAY CC WITH BIG OFFER"

"This is about cash, and just how much of it the Yankees will offer their No. 1 offseason target. Well, really it is about how much more of it they will offer than any West Coast team or NL team, or in Sabathia's ideal world, a West Coast NL team. "

"...sometime tomorrow you can expect the Yankees aggressively will extend a proposal. It might not be their best and final, but Yankee insiders suggest it will be a number that says this to Sabathia: "Anything they can do we can do better - much, much better."

"That means a bid north of the six years at $137.5 million the New York Mets New York Mets bestowed last year on Johan Santanaohan Santana. My gut says six years at $150 million sounds about right to force league-wide surrender before the bidding really even gets started. "

http://www.nypost.com/sev..._cc_with_big_o_138398.htm

If the Yankees are starting at a number somewhere between $137-$150 million a year for 6 years, you can pretty much forget about the Brewers having a chance.

"If the Yankees are starting at a number somewhere between $137-$150 million a year for 6 years, you can pretty much forget about the Brewers having a chance. "

I think most have already moved on. But how sweet it would've been...

I can't help but say that I'll respect CC more if he turns his nose up at the Yanks and gives one of the Cali teams a ~$20 million discount. How sweet would it be for the Yanks to miss out on CC AND Tex and have to really fight it out for 3rd place with the Jays again this year?

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

"That means a bid north of the six years at $137.5 million the New York Mets New York Mets bestowed last year on Johan Santanaohan Santana. My gut says six years at $150 million sounds about right to force league-wide surrender before the bidding really even gets started."

That's just recklessly arrogant (then again it is Joel Sherman). League-wide surrender? Come on. The Dodgers can match basically any offer the Yanks want to pony up, and CC 1) Wants to play closer to home (CA), 2) Wants to continue to be able to hit (NL). Also, 3) He's not the stereotypical pro athlete that would leave over $1M or so (like Cordero did). I wonder if the New York media really has any idea that it's stupid comments like this that engender so much distaste for them around the country. Hey, Sherman, the Yankees aren't the only team that can bankroll staggering contracts anymore. Heck, the Dodgers just offered Manny Ramirez something like $40M for 2 seasons, and have more money coming off their books than the Yanks do.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

He isnt going to the Dodgers. The Dodgers owner has money problems and thats why they didnt trade for CC last yr. The owner didnt want to pay the 5 million left on Sabathias contract and the only reason they traded for ramirez is the Red Sox picked up the rest of his salary.

The Angels on the other hand have the money and the desire to land CC. The Yankees only real challenger financially for CC will be the Angels. The only way he ends up with the Brewers is if the Angels dont go all out and he really really despises N.Y.

It doesnt bother me that the Yankees can afford to toss that kind of money at CC Sabathia, and we cannot. What bothers me is that the Yankees can, and do toss that money around at players and if the player stinks (Giambi) or gets hurt (Pavano) or both (Jaret Wright) it has no effect on their payroll or ability to pay other players. That is where the inequity lies. There are no consequences for the Yankees.

The Dodgers have huge contracts coming off though. Furcal, Kent, Penny, Lowell and Nomar. And then more next year with Schmidt and Jones.

Although I was probably wrong that they have more $$ coming off the books than NYY. I don't have time to fact-check on Sherman, but in his article he notes the Yanks are seeing ~ $88M freed up.

I still think LAD is the odds-on favorite for Sabathia, and part of that is because even at his high AAV, he'd be a sound business investment (unlike paying Lowe, for example) that would actually help the Dodgers make money.

There are no consequences for the Yankees[/boSox/LAA/etc.].

I completely agree, RyDogg. Very little need to worry about risk/reward. It's a frustrating part of the game, but I do think the way that younger players' values are held down by the arbitration process is an interesting way of addressing the discrepancy. It really rewards teams for building the 'right' way, and is a strategy that even a team like the Yankees can benefit from (& Cashman certainly is taking the org. in that direction).

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived