Brewer Fanatic

The CC Watch... Latest: Who knows?

Yes TH could be wrong, but vs a nationally unsourced piece he carries much greater weight. And yes you can negotiate but starting at 75-80% of the expected contract leaves a huge amount for the Brewers to come up. with TH saying the Brewers won't go up much more.

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We could have used Carlos Lee's RBI production last year.

Except we had one of our 2 franchise players and the reigning rookie of the year playing that position for a small fraction of what Lee made. Our other corner OF position was manned by a much younger guy who's way cheaper than Lee but was offensively identical to him in 2007.

How's that trade of Suppan after two years working out?
You're comparing 2006 Suppan to 2008 CC? Not even close.
I don't think he is comparing the talent of the players, just making the point that it is a bad idea to sign a contract with a player unless you plan to keep him for the duration of the contract. So many things can happen that could make him untradeable. Injuries are always a concern with pitchers.

I know everyone wants CC back (well, pretty much everyone on this board). I sure do...I'll be the first to celebrate if Sabathia is back. I don't care if it's 4-6 years...I want the man back in Milwaukee. But we have to be patient.

I want Sabathia back, but I want a contract that isn't potentially franchise crippling.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I heard some where that you have to make an offer to a departing FA if you are to get compensation for losing that FA. So the offer is basically a "pretend" offer so we get two draft picks for losing him. I'm not sure if that is true, but considering we made an offer about $40-50million less then what he's likely to get it definately wasn't a serious offer.

Melvin did the same thing to Carlos Lee. What bother insulting the guy? Just so you can tell fans you tried to keep him? Are fans really that stupid?

5yr 100 mil is probably a starting point. Maybe CC's crew counteroffers with 4/100 and it's taken.

5mil per season isn't a ton when you consider the amount of money we are talking about.

We lost Coco last year over 2mil. Hopefully we don't lose CC over 5mil per.

Melvin did the same thing to Carlos Lee. What bother insulting the guy? Just so you can tell fans you tried to keep him? Are fans really that stupid?

I think that many fans, sadly, are. However, an offer of 5/$100M is definitely not an insult. Now whether the Brewers realistically think CC will turn it down... that's another debate.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

How is that offer insulting?

Santana received 6 years at $137.5 million. Thats $23 million per year. The offer to CC is definitely in the ballpark. Offering a 4 year $60 million contract would be insulting.

Its too bad that we will in all likelihood not be able to sign CC. We need to brace ourselves for a significant drop in the number of wins we expect for next year if we go with Yo and Parra as 1,2. Also, I have no interest in trading the rest of our prospects away for Peavy. We could have made that deal this past July when we traded away Laporta and the others.

Well you have to start somewhere. You have 15 days to negotiate with this guy before anyone else can. 5 years, 100 mil is a good starting point. Anyone is probably gonna ask for more than the original offer that is how negotiations work. If you really want to pay him 4 years, 100 mil and 5 years at 125 mil you don't start with that, you work your way up to it.

Well you have to start somewhere. You have 15 days to negotiate with this guy before anyone else can. 5 years, 100 mil is a good starting point. Anyone is probably gonna ask for more than the original offer that is how negotiations work. If you really want to pay him 4 years, 100 mil and 5 years at 125 mil you don't start with that, you work your way up to it.
That is a pretty good point. I didn't even think of that. Makes a lot of sense. I still think 4 years $100 mill would be the best we can possibly offer CC.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Is it really always necessary to offer less than you are willing to pay while negotiating? CC's agent already has a number in mind. CC is not going to be tricked by being able to add 20 percent to the original offer and think he won in negotiations. Sounds like how little kids try to negotiate the price of a baseball card.

Am I way off? Am I breaking Negotiations 101 rules?

Archived