Brewer Fanatic

The CC Watch... Latest: Who knows?

Well, if the Mets, Phillies, Cubs, etc. play similar to how they did this past season, we would more than likely be out of the Wild Card with that scenario.

Not really, if we have an 87-88 win talent team we'll be right in the thick of the wild card, the actual W-L record for every team can vary at least 3-4 wins any given season so a true talent anywhere from like 85 wins to 93 wins will put you in the hunt most seasons. That is also assuming we don't bring in any new players other than a 1 to 2 win pitcher. Believe it or not the Brewers don't HAVE to sign Sabathia to have a shot at the playoffs next year and just signing Sabathia doesn't mean we are in. He is worth roughly 5 wins assuming he stays healthy and that can be replaced elsewhere.

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"He's not going to be a guy who is going to have 27 phone calls. He's only going to get five," Melvin said. "If he's going to demand the money he's going to demand, he'll get a lot less phone calls than maybe even Ray Durham or somebody like that that we have."

Way to burn your own players. I wonder if he really wanted that published?

I am really going back and forth on whether there really is a chance that CC would except a 100/4yr deal or if this is a really serious political move to soften the departure of the most exciting player the Brewers have seen since Yount. It really all depends on what CC's real feelings are toward Milwaukee. He'd have to really like it and believe the team has the talent and support to make a few more runs. That seems like grasping on threads to me.

Way to burn your own players. I wonder if he really wanted that published?
How's he burning him? It's pretty much common sense what he said. The top free agent on the market, in his prime is going to cost a ton of money, only a few teams can afford him. Durham, an aging, mid-tier free agent could have a lot of suitors depending on his asking price.

Ennder I understand your reasoning but as it turns out the Lee offer was not competitive

In the end, you are correct. But no one could even fathom Lee getting 6/100+ when they made their offer in July. The sticking point was a 5th year, as the Brewers had reportedly offered something like 4/48-51 million, but Lee wanted 5/60 or something like that.

I think they improve on that in the off season but no reason to act like that rotation would be terrible if they don't.

I didn't mean to imply that would be a terrible rotation, just not one capable of taking a playoff spot. Unless a few of those guys have special seasons.

To me the Brewers are around an 83 win team as they stand.

That's about what I'm thinking. Right around .500.

I dont think they can really compete if they lose both CC and Ben, Yo will be very good and Manny will be strong But with Bush and Soup they are average at best and between Villy and Seth your looking at average as well. Cappy has no reason to even wear a major league uniform again if you ask me. They need to make a deal for a true #1 or at least a solid #2 if both CC and Sheets leave

When possible, take the time to post the article, or at least a link.

LINK

The expectation in some baseball circles is that the Brewers will offer left-hander CC Sabathia $100 million for four years.

Such a proposal certainly would get Sabathia's attention as he prepares for free agency, but he surely would command a more lucrative deal on the open market.

The Yankees, Angels and Dodgers are among Sabathia's leading possibilities, and each could give him more than four years and $25 million per season.

Sabathia's preference is to play on the west coast, sources say. He might also prefer to remain in the National League, making him an obvious fit for the Dodgers.

However, the Dodgers' intentions are an open question.

The team is facing the losses of several major free agents - left fielder Manny Ramirez, right-hander Derek Lowe, shortstop Rafael Furcal and third baseman Casey Blake.

The Brewers, meanwhile, would demonstrate to their fans that they indeed were serious about keeping Sabathia if they offered him $100 million for four years.

In fact, such a proposal would be stunning from a team in a mid-sized market, a team that opened last season with an $81 million payroll.

The Brewers, facing a number of pressing issues, likely will want an answer on Sabathia quickly, giving them a chance to explore other options, if necessary.

The team needs to hire a manager - former A's manager Ken Macha is the front-runner, sources say - and also must decide whether to exercise center fielder Mike Cameron's $10 million option within five days after the World Series.

However, the Dodgers' intentions are an open question.

If the Dodgers' intentions do not include following up on their early #1 position in the running for the best available SP this offseason, they need new intentions. I can't believe Rosenthal would imply that re-signing Lowe or Blake might stand in the way of signing Sabathia. The Dodgers have every opportunity to go all in after Sabathia, and that should definitely come at the expense of any & all of those other 4 players.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Looks like the previously reported 4 year, $100 million CC contract report was incorrect according to this blog on JSonline.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/33695279.html

On another subject, don't believe those rumors that have been reported that the Brewers have offered left-hander CC Sabathia a four-year contract for $110 million. I have it on good authority that no offer has been made yet and that those numbers are higher than the Brewers are considering.

The Brewers would be more likely to offer a five-year deal from between $90 million and $100 million, making Sabathia's yearly pay $20 million or less. They would be hard-pressed to go higher with a total team payroll between $80 million and $90 million.

The Brewers probably will make their offer on Monday.

If that blog entry holds any truth, I'm not sure I would hold out hope of CC being in a Brewers uni next year. I can't imagine the player's union would look too kindly on one of their own taking what amount to a discount to resign with the Brewers. I guess this offseason will come down to resigning Sheets and/or trading for a top tier SP like Peavy or Cain.

If we offered a world class free agent enough to sign him it would be the first time. We could have used Carlos Lee's RBI production last year as well as Cordero's closing ability. Of course we did make Cordero a decent offer but botched the negotiation. Until baseball has a salary cap a signing like this just isn't going to happen.

Why even bother making an offer if you are going to lowball him? Just another PR move so they can say to the fans "we gave him an offer, blame him if he doesn't want to play here" when all along they knew it wasn't a realistic offer for someone of his talent.

I dont get the 4 year vs 6 year deal thing. I mean, is it a given that the 5th and 6th years wont be "worth it"? If its about not affording CC in 5 years because of other players hitting free agency...who said he cant be traded to the Dodgers or Yankees, Mets etc after 4 seasons? Offer him the 6 years 140, and trade him when you cant afford him anymore. There are obviously teams out there that will be able to pay him then, too.

To those asking why even bother making CC an offer if it's going to be lower than other teams':

If you don't make an offer, you're not re-signing CC. If you do make an offer, you might re-sign CC. You can't get what you want without asking for it.

I dont get the 4 year vs 6 year deal thing. I mean, is it a given that the 5th and 6th years wont be "worth it"?

Not a given but it is extremely unlikely that any pitcher stays healthy for 8 years in a row and given the extreme abuse CC has had on his arm the last 2 years the most likely scenario is only a 2-3 year of ace like effectiveness from this point on. A 6 year deal with a plan to trade him in 2-3 years would make some sense I guess as long as he doesn't get hurt and mess up the plan.

I think everyone is being really premature. The derision over the offer to CC is based on only one report. Also, there can still be an opportunity for negotiation. It seems reasonable to expect that the Brewers' first offer wouldn't be their final/best offer.

I know everyone wants CC back (well, pretty much everyone on this board). I sure do...I'll be the first to celebrate if Sabathia is back. I don't care if it's 4-6 years...I want the man back in Milwaukee. But we have to be patient.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived