Brewer Fanatic

Pitching questions for next year

jjfanec
Randy Johnson will probably go to the Yankees to be their fifth starter....or the Mets. Both of them are going to need an anchor in their rotations with a one year rental. You have Pedro coming off the books for the Metropolitans and Mussina and Pettitte for the Yanks.

Wasn't it generally thought that Johnson didn't particularly enjoy his time in New York, or am I remembering incorrectly?

Yeah, the only thing I remember from his time in New York was that "incident" on the streets with that camera man.

No, that's the buzz I heard on it too, Peavey. I'm sure Unit will get a lot of cash next season, but he might be just getting 1-yr. deals at this point in his career. And I agree with Baldkin -- he'd be an ideal target for the Brewers. He doesn't rely as much on his fielders to get guys out, and I don't think he'd decline to the point where he wouldn't be himself anymore. The real question is durability at this point. But he's so talented that you could roll the dice... imo as long as it'd be a 1-yr. deal

I've detailed at great length my opinion of the shortcomings of the FA pitching market so I'll just say that I'm firmly against signing any FA pitcher who will cost 12+/per, take a commitment of 4 years to land, while his skills are declining, and be a marginal upgrade over McClung (for example). Simply put, I think the FA pitching market stinks, acquiring young pitchers allows the Brewers to get the most bang for their buck.

Bravo, Crew07. This is basically exactly what I think about the FA market this season & the approach the Brewers should have in FA in general

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I don't like spending much dough on folks some would consider retreads, but Randy Johnson's no re-tread, just a Hall of Famer in the waning years of his career. He sure would be an upgrade from Jeff Suppan, only likely a bit less healthy on average these days (much better K rate, ERA diff of >1.00).

I'd still hope to see CC back. Investing too much in Sheets is like continually putting water in a leaky bucket -- at the right angle it works famously, but too often the angle's not right and the results are not worth the hassle of the bucket. I'm not sure if they could get him, but the Brewers could do a whole lot worse than Randy Johnson.

Outside of CC I can't see spending big bucks on the available pitchers

The guys I'd target in Free Agency

Brad Penny (if dodgers decline option)

Freddy Garcia

Randy Wolf

Alan Embree

Chan Ho Park

Bartlo Colon

Horacio Ramirez

That list is 90% terrible, I sure hope we don't sign any of those guys other than maybe Garcia. CV and McClung could outpitch the rest of them.

Penny had an injury filled 08', but he was a very good pitcher in 07' going 16-4 with a 3.03 ERA in 208 IP. He would be a pretty good pickup if he got healthy.

Penny had a lucky 2007 more than anything. His strike outs were down, his BB's were up with a slight gain in GB% that offset some of it. He just happened to not give up HRs that year which given his career rates is most likely just a statistical fluke. Penny isn't a bad pitcher but as was already mentioned the only way he becomes a FA is if his health is in serious question.

Who else would love to see The Big Unit come to Milwaukee and be the closer for the Brewers next season?

I bet he could get new life as a reliever.

He might be more valuable as a starter, but I bet he would be absolutely devastating as a closer.

Who else would love to see The Big Unit come to Milwaukee and be the closer for the Brewers next season?

I bet he could get new life as a reliever.

He might be more valuable as a starter, but I bet he would be absolutely devastating as a closer.

I am not so sure about that. with big (old!) akward body and balky back I have hard time picturing him being ready to pitch everyday...

I am not so sure about that. with big (old!) akward body and balky back I have hard time picturing him being ready to pitch everyday...
I would think it would be easier than throwing 100+ pitches every 5 days and 180+ innings in a season.

I would think that throwing 60-70 innings and stretching out every day would be easier on a 45 year old than trying to throw 100+ pitches every 5 days and stay in the routine.

Plus he wouldn't have to worry about endurance so maybe in relief he could get a few more ticks on the fastball.

I am in firm belief that he could be one of the top closers in the N.L. next season.

RJ as closer is a pretty interesting thought. and he's always seemed to have such an easy, fluid delivery that maybe regular work wouldn't be all that taxing. heck, you kind of wonder if the dude could be pitching until he's 50 if he decided to become a LOOGY.

RJ as closer is a pretty interesting thought. and he's always seemed to have such an easy, fluid delivery that maybe regular work wouldn't be all that taxing. heck, you kind of wonder if the dude could be pitching until he's 50 if he decided to become a LOOGY.
He's 45 right now. I was thinking till 50 as a closer and til 55 as a LOOGY http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Archived