Brewer Fanatic

Can Gallardo and Parra go 200 innings next year?

I think the answer to this question is the key to the Brewers success next year. Can they get close to 200 innings out of their 2 best pitchers? It's going to be tough for Gallardo considering he didn't pitch much this year and it will be equally tough for Parra. Neither have shown they can do this and because of this it will be imperative to get a front of the line starter for next years team to go with those 2. Right now we have the following options in house for the rotation next year:

Gallardo

Parra

Bush

Suppan

McClung

We are definitely going to need more than that so look for one or more of Prince, Hardy or Weeks to be traded for some pitching because signing a free agent pitcher nowadays is just stupid as shown in the Jeff Suppan deal. All you end up doing is overpaying. Your guys thoughts?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DiFelice should be considered an option, and very likely a better one than Suppan. Possibly also better than McClung (one decent partial season does not a good SP make). Whether the Org sees it this way is doubtful, though, as they are a bit too radar-gun infatuated.

Villaneuva could also be given another shot at starting.

Guess I'd prefer to plan on DiFelice in the rotation, because McClung, Torres, and Villy could be a very nice back end of the BP, provided the manager is willing to go outside the one inning at a time, available every day Tony LaRussa BP model.

DiFelice should be considered an option

I just can't see this. He's a nice long man and everything but he wouldn't be able to make it more than 2 times through the order with the minus stuff that he has. I could see Villanueva getting another shot, but he's starting to mold nicely as a bullpen guy.

I think Gallardo should spend time in the bullpen to keep his innings down a bit through the season. Of course I thought the same of Parra this year and they decided to run him into the ground.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

They probably could go 200 innings, but I don't think they should. More like 180 (maybe even less for Yo) hopefully. Next year might have to be a retooling year anyway, so running them into the ground would be especially shortsighted.

The way I look at it is that if the Brewers don't get another good pitcher (whether it's Sheets, Sabathia, Lowe or whoever), they're likely to fall back a bit next season. If they do get one, it won't be as imperative that Parra and Yo go 200 innings. So, either way, I don't think going 200 is necessarily the smart move.

Well since Parra went 166 innings this year and even more if you count the playoffs, he should be good to go for 190 innings if he stays healthy. And Gallardo did throw 180+ innings last year if you count Nashville so you'd think they would both be good to go to approach 200 innings, but how does not pitching this year for Gallardo hurt his chances? Does it help his chances because it keeps his arm fresh? Those are some interesting questions.

Remember it is really pitches more than innings that matter. While Parra only threw 166 innings a lot of those were high pitch innings. If he can become more consistent with throwing strikes he should be ok doing 200 innings.

Gallardo is a bit more hard to know what to do but I wouldn't want him to go 200 innings.

Gallardo also was throwing all summer. While it wasn't in game situations, he was keeping his arm strong. Because of that, I think he should be alright. We're used to having to be careful with pitchers off of arm injuries, but with Yo it was his legs.

One lesson from CC Sabathia is that I would like to see the team start pitchers in April on 85 pitches. Instead of trying to get the starters ready for 100 pitches on April 1st, I'd rather they be ready for 100 by mid-May. CC's slow start had him VERY strong in Sept. It's like an extension of how Yost/Maddux were careful with Cordero and Torres in Spring Training.

Considering they will probably be counted on as two-thirds of the top of our rotation I would hope both can go 200 innings. If we're not getting 200 IP out of any of our first two or three starters we might as well forget contending next season.

Rp

I'll somewhat second Messiah's comment.

These two will be out there every five regardless, assuming we're in the race into September.

And I'll second the general consensus that Parra should be good for 200 if healthy, and Gallardo is a bit of an unknown how he'll respond.

I think they can go 200, but it will depend on pitch counts. I think no matter what happens both guys should be very good in 2009. Gallardo I have no doubt about and Parra as long as he throws strikes should be good as well. Looking forward to both in 2009. Can't wait, to long away though.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Could Jeffress possibly be called up late next year? That would sure be a boost if we needed it.
That would be best case scenario for him, and quite unlikely. He only threw 94 innings this year, plus whatever work he gets in the AFL. So I'd estimate 120-140 for him next season at the most, great news if he splits that between Huntsville and Nashville as it means he's pitching well, but it also paces him to shut it down by September.

He needs to hone his control before he is ready for the show, he's held a mid-upper 4's BB/9 for his professional career. Sometime in 2010 we'll see him.

DiFelice would have great success against all RH teams. He throws one pitch 90% of the time, and it goes down and in to LH hitters...not a recipe for success.

The reports I saw were that Mark adding the cutter is what helped him start to get LHB out at a better rate. I think DiFelice should be very seriously considered for the rotation for next season, but agree with Brawndo that our front office appears to love velocity a little too much for that to happen.

I'm not positive when DiFelice added his cutter, but here're his minor-league (AAA) numbers from 2007 & 2008 v. LHB:

2007 -- BAA: .244; BABIP: .281; WHIP: 1.07; BB/9: 1.64; K/9: 6.57; HR/9: 0.91

2008 -- BAA: .196; BABIP: .216; WHIP: 0.82; BB/9: 1.19; K/9: 8.31; HR/9: 1.48

Assumptions like, 'DiFelice's stuff won't play v. LHP' are why people start calling players AAAA guys.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

There are few things I can guarantee, but one thing I can is DeFelice will not be in our rotation next year. 32 year old journey men are for bottom feeders. His upside is a long relief man, and I'd be fine if he filled that spot. The reason our front office values velocity is because it's one of the most important aspects of pitching.

TuesdaysWithRillo wrote:

32 year old journey men are for bottom feeders.

This sounds eerily similar to the "we can't win with average pitchers in our rotation" line we heard a lot last off season.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

If Suppan is healthy he will be in the rotation next year. Which is why I hoope he's traded, even if they have to eat half his salary. At any rate, if he's on the team he will prevent guys like DeFelice and McClung from getting a shot at the 5 spot.

Gallardo pitched 187 innings in 2007, so I don't see why he can't go 32-34 starts next year. Same with Parra, though I fear he's not going to be a long term healthy pitcher, given his injury woes in the minors.

I think they do need to find another top quality pitcher from outside the organization. Or re-sign CC, of course. I doubt Prince or Hardy will be traded. Weeks and Hart are possibilities though.

Ok, I was trying to avoid this thread, because I wasn't sure how to respond without a one line sarcastice response, which I know is not exactly welcomed by the moderators. However, everytime I come on the site, I see the thread and it gets my blood boiling.

Are we serious? Really? Maybe by the time these guys are FAs they will be able to pitch more than 200 innings. Sorry, I guess I'm just "old-school" as the kids say. Somewhere Warren Spahn is spinning in his grave.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Well as you saw with Manny Parra, young pitchers do wear down so a lot of them can't go 200 innings so I don't see what your point is. Sure in the dead ball era, guys like Spahn could put up 300 plus inning seasons, but it can't be done today with the millions of dollars on the line and the much improved hitters of our day.

it can't be done today with the millions of dollars on the line and the much improved hitters of our day.
Ok, so expect less from pitchers and pay more. Sounds about right.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Parra could easily go over 200 innings, if he stops having 115-pitch, 5 inning starts. He's got the stuff to just attack hitters in the strike zone, but he lost command and control too many times this season - pretty much par for the course for a developing pitcher.

I wouldn't want Yo over 200 innings, he basically lost a season of development - he could very well be superman, but I'd rather see him end up in that 175-185 IP range.

Ok, so expect less from pitchers and pay more. Sounds about right.

No, stop having unrealistic expectations of pitchers & get upset less. Don't you think that if guys could still go 300 IP they would? These are the best people at pitching on the planet right now. The game is different, whether you like it or not.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived