Brewer Fanatic

4/24/06 Braves (Davies) @ Brewers (Capuano), 7:05 PM CST

wOOgiE22

It really doesn't matter who's our #2/#3/#4 pitcher etc. since our rotation really can't change without pitching someone on short rest. Right now our rotation is set up this way and it won't really change unless someone gets hurt.

1. Davis

2. Cappy

3. Ohka

4. Sheets

5. Bush

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
I have a feeling Ned is going to sit Rickie Tuesday

I really hope this isn't the case. Rickie needs to work out of this slump and the more playing time he gets the better. Even though he hasn't found his power stroke yet, he still has an OBP of .358 which is still pretty solid. As far as his "D" goes, the only way to get better is by staying out on the field, so sitting him really doesn't make much sense to me.

Just a little update, the woman who was hit by JJ's bat took it flush on the nose, it was pretty bad, and it was obviously broken. Her husband also got hit in the chest by the bat, so it was pretty ugly. Just wanted to say that the Braves were really good, besides countless towels, they also threw up five baseballs to her and her family. I'm sure she'll be ok, and I'm sure that JJ and the Brewers will also show their concern for her well being.

You just never know when something like this can happen, if you sit close expect the worst at any time.

That bat incident was scary.

The play had routine written all over it...next thing you know, there's a shot of a poor woman with blood streaming from her nose.

It's great to hear that the Braves players and coaches helped her and her husband out, and hopefully JJ and the Crew will follow that up as well.

would reward those who are pitching well and give us a better chance to win against other #2's and 3's in the league.

People keep using this as reasoning, but it's not true. After the first couple weeks, rotation order is *completely* irrelevant. You almost never have teams' rotations perfectly matching up against each other.

Well,

I wasn't posting because I was one of the 11,660 in attendance. Thankfully we sat well out of range of JJ's bat. (I thought it was odd that Bob thought the fan was hit by a ball.)

Looking at the final pitch count for Cap, you'd never have guessed that more than half were thrown in the first three innings. It was really nice to see him settle in.

We have personally seen half of Derrick Turnbow's saves - I particularly love seeing the fan reaction when he simply steps onto the field - and are now 3-0 on the hawing ticket. I won't disclose our next game yet for fear of bringing on the jinx.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Can't slide Davis in the rotation yet. He's been one of the better pitchers in baseball the past few seasons. Not to take the analogy too far, but that would be like benching a week for Carlos Lee for batting .200/.220/.350 at this point. It's not going to happen, nor should it. If his ERA is still 7.66 in another month, we'll talk.

looking at that picture of Doug Melvin makes me laugh.

i was listening to sports radio in the car and they were talking about how you CAN'T trust a man with a mustache anymore, in reference to Keith Hernandez. I guess it applies to Doug, in a different way though.

I was at the game, it was great to see Cappy pitch a good game. Fielder with that 3-3 was nice as well as Koskie socking that first HR. You could feel how tense the park got everytime Weeks touched the ball after those errors. Hoep he works his way out of his problems. I hope Yost realizes that Fielder and Jenks should be switched in the lineup. Prince hitting in front of Carlos will be great.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Can someone describe what happened with the bat? I didn't see it, and there doesn't seem to be any mention of it in the news reports.

There was some confusion as to whether it broke when JJ hit a grounder, or if the entire thing flew out of his hand and into the stands. It appeared to hit a lady in the face, and when FSN cut to a crowd shot, it showed her bleeding profusely and catching the blood in what appeared to be a hat. FSN quickly cut away, and Daron said they'd monitor the situation, but they never mentioned it again.

Quote:
Can someone describe what happened with the bat? I didn't see it, and there doesn't seem to be any mention of it in the news reports.

When JJ swung, the bat broke off right above where he holds the bat, so that part flew into the stands, the barrel of the bat hit this woman's husband in the chest, and the handle, the sharp end hit this woman in the face, where she took the brunt of it on her nose. Thankfully Miller Park ushers were there right away, and a fan (Braves fan) was an EMT off duty so he took charge right away. The family kept the bat and the balls that the Braves sent up, but it was damn scary. The EMT for Miller Park arrived about five minutes later, but it felt like an hour.

What people saw on TV, was the hat that was knocked off her head and then she put her hands up by her face with all the blood that was coming out. It wasn't pretty. She did stay calm, and clearly having the EMT in the stands was good luck, since he knew what to do, while the rest of us had no clue. I gave her all the napkins I had, but obviously the towels from the Braves were the key.

What really gets me is when I see little kids near the dugout and their parents are completely clueless about watching them. There was a little kid two seats away, what if that bat flew into him? We're usually on guard for a baseball, so when a LH batter is up, you have to keep a close eye, but when these bats come flying in from RH or LH batters, you just have to get the hell out of the way.

Archived