Brewer Fanatic

Philly.com article about noise at Miller Park for game 3 of NLDS

mtrebs

I can't stand it when people gripe about the crowd on its feet.

Oh man, me neither. Such a buzzkill. As for the thundersticks, one plus they have is that they're both an audible & visible sort of stimulant. I think they're annoying as heck, but they look good on TV.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Our situation was a bit unique because I really think the fans in the back were more peeved at one guy in the last row of "standers" who really was a rude obnoxious jerk most of the game (and I told him so in not so pleasant terms myself), and when things came to a head, he sort of became an undeserved martyr, and without him in that section, the problem probably doesn't get nearly as bad.

However, that said, literally the first inning people were telling others in our section to sit down, and there were a good 6 rows of us who felt like standing and cheering. So the issue didn't revolve around the one guys exclusively.

When it really came to a head late in the game, the usher picked a horribly bad moment to get involved. We were standing for a big moment, and the usher came and started s-c-r-e-a-m-i-n-g at us that we had to sit down because other people paid money to see the game too. This wasn't a couple of people standing, more like 50 or more. It created quite the drama after that, with fans yelling at each other, cops leering at everyone, the usher getting into a screaming match with the aforementioned martyr, and him getting the crowd riled up, people standing up just to protest the usher and the police. An inning later, one of the people complaining about people standing went and sat in the front of the first row of "standers" and would stand whenever they sat and that caused quite a commotion too.

Good times, good times.

I loved the rally rags and they also created a great visual but they made it very hard to see what was going on. I mean, I didn't get pissy or anything, but at points I was so frustrated between the people in my row being incapable of sitting still and the rally rags.

I was down the third base line and this girl in the next section back toward home plate kept holding her rag and the corners as though it were a sign over her head and when she did that she literally blocked 2/3 of the infield. I get the whipping around of rally rags, but I still can't figure out what she was doing. Every time it got to the point where I missed more than 1 or 2 pitches at a time and I was ready to go tap on her shoulder, she put it down on her own, but I was really ready to just ask her why she was so ignorant to the people behind/next to her. It felt like she was doing the Care Bear stare with her stupid rag.

The girl in front of my wife and I wearing one of those Prince foam crowns that sticks up a foot above her head. She never took it off once. If the beer guys were selling manners, I would have bought her some. Regarding standing: If there's three random guys standing in the middle of the section when there's nothing happening at that moment...then yes, sit down. If there are two strikes on a batter, get excited and stand if you want to stand. It's the playoffs. It's supposed to be electric and loud. Another peeve: people going to the concessions / restrooms after every inning and having to move for them to come back to their seats when there's not a break in play. Once or twice, maybe. Every inning...not so much. These are reasons I like to sit in the front row of any section I can, high or low, no matter the game. It just makes it more enjoyable for me.

Community Moderator

The standing/sitting debate is a difficult one. I've been told before to sit down at a Marquette basketball game when 99% of the arena is standing up. In other situations, it's just people being disrespectful of others by holding up signs when play is going on or drunkenly standing up for no particular reason. I'm young and don't have a problem with standing up, so I just go with the flow and if people in front of me are standing, I usually follow. I can see how older people could be upset, but at some point there needs to be some understanding that it is a playoff game.

Fortunately, that was not a problem for me on Saturday night in the top row of the Terrace. I stood for 2/3 of the game and even stood on top of my seat to get a better view. I now offer my highest recommendation for the top row, for those who have never sat up there ;-)

Archived