Brewer Fanatic

Philly.com article about noise at Miller Park for game 3 of NLDS

mtrebs

http://www.philly.com/phi...ls_made_little_noise.html

I read the above article from philly.com about how the Brewers fans didn't make that much noise during game 3 of the NLDS last night. Am I missing something here? Are they trying to be sarcastic or are they just lying? It was the loudest and most electric crowd I have ever seen at a sporting event and this writer made it seem like it wasn't loud at all. The following quote from the article sums it up.

"The crowd and the noise at sold-out Miller Park weren't factors in the game. It actually wasn't all that loud."

If things go well, the park will be much louder today. KInd of a ho-hum article but this part is exactly right:

So, the ledge they walk got a little narrower and the stakes for the next game got a lot higher. The Phillies still need to merely win one of the final two games, while the Brewers need to take both, but only one game will be played Sunday, and it will match Blanton against Jeff Suppan. If you have a solid idea about how that will turn out, that makes you the only one.

I didn't think the crowd was as nearly as loud today as yesterday. I'm not just talking about after the Brewers fell into a 5 run hole. I sensed less noise and electricity than yesterday from the time we entered the park. Yesterday, we got to the park about 30 minutes before the stadium doors opened. Already at that time, the lots were filling up pretty good and the lines to get in the stadium were very long. By the time the teams were getting introduced a large majority of the seats were filled. Early and throughout the game, the crowd stood for any little thing. I have never seen Miller Park like that before.

Today, we got to the park about 10 mintes before the stadium doors opened. We got just about front row parking in the section we parked in. The lines to get in were not nearly as long. Pleople seemed to trickle into the stadium more slowly. Whatever excitement was building was quited somewhat by the lead off HR by Rollins and then just about completely squelched by Burrell's 3 run HR.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Patrick, I agree that the game today was not nearly as loud as it was yesterday. But I did think it was pretty loud in there right as the game started. Those thunder sticks made it pretty loud. After that Rollins homer, it got really quiet, and the 3-run shot pretty much silenced the crowd for much of the rest of the game.

As far as people coming in later today than yesterday, that is going to happen when the game is at noon on a Sunday as opposed to 5:30 on a Saturday. People came out and made a whole afternoon out of it yesterday. Today, some people went to church before the game, others slept in, and a lot fewer people tailgated. Plus there just wasn't all that "first playoff game in 26 years" hype. (To illustrate my point, one guy was selling terrace tickets in the resale zone over 2 hours before the game for below face value. People just weren't as determined to come to this game.) But I think that once everyone was in there, it was pretty loud to start the game, and then got quiet when the game began slipping away.

Last night's game did have more electricity. I can speak for myself, its like I had a Brewer-hangover today... spent so much vocal support and excitement last night, I felt it hard to get going today, and thanks to Suppan, he kept it that way... way to keep a big crowd in it Soup. However, the article states it was not that loud.... this author must have had earplugs in and said it was loud but not that loud as I'm sure I had a headache after the first inning from the noise and me yelling so loud along with the section I was in.....

Today I got to the game early and saw the Phillies taking batting practice. During that time, I was down in the first level in the first few rows by the Phillies dugout. Geoff Jenkins signed a few autographs, and as he was signing, he mentioned how loud the crowd was last night.

I heard on a Wisconsin radio station, from a member of the Wisconsin sports media that Philly was louder than Milwaukee on Saturday. While I thought that it was pretty loud, I felt that it could have been louder. I was ready to stand for the entire game, but I felt that a lot of people around me didn't share the sentiment. And at Sunday's game there was a lot less excitement. Anyone around me without a thunderstick wasn't making any noise, and the guy to my right was listening to the Packer game the entire time. All that said, I had a great time and didn't let anyone else's lack of excitement get in my way. I had a blast and made as much noise as I could.

I was at both games in Philly and I felt that the fans there put on a clinic not only on how to get loud, but when to get loud. They did not miss an opportunity to get on their feet and scream their heads off. I experienced a good amount of behavior at Citizen's Bank Park that was not dignified in anyway, but I give them extremely high marks for not missing a chance to cheer on their team. If their pitcher had two strikes on one of our guys, they were up and cheering. If one of their hitters fought back to even the count, the were up cheering. Runner on base? The put up ear blistering decibels. You guys get the idea.

And aside from the cheering, they absolutely let the Brewers know that they were not welcome at all.

The thundersticks today were awful. They just gave people a reason not to cheer and instead for the whole game there was just a steady, low-pitched rumbling noise that probably didn't affect any player much at all.

Personally, I don't like the thundersticks, b/c they tend to obstruct the view from time to time. But I thought they made Miller Park much louder before the game on Sunday that the crowd Saturday ever got. Right before the game and early on they made so much racket you could hardly hear the starting lineups being announced. On Saturday you could clearly hear them being annouced. So I think the Thundersticks did their job, it's just Suppan didn't give people much reason to use them after the 3rd.

Overall I would say that I was somewhat disappointed in the crowd. Saturday was pretty good, except for the one drunk in our section that was trying to start the wave for half the game.

But Sunday, there were IMO way to many fans that left after the 8th inning. I know the boys are down 4 with one inning to go, but good grief, it's a playoff game. I'm not going to complain if someone wants to leave early for a regular season game with that score, but we don't get playoff games that often around here, people need to drink them up.

I was at the Packers game, so I had the Brewers game on the radio. Jim Powell said that after Saturday's game, in the clubhouse, Ryan Howard was overheard saying that in the first inning, after Bushy struck out the 2nd 2 guys, he's never heard a stadium louder.

I obviously can't compare Saturday to any day in Philly, but there's no way you can't say it was loud.

"That's the first time I've really experienced the home-field advantage," said J.J. Hardy, whose three hits typified the Brewers' newfound approach. "The fans were awesome in making it a great atmosphere."

"That was thrilling," Bush said. "Everyone has waited a long, long time to be in that situation, so it's something I'll definitely remember for a long time. Being out there and being able to start with two strikeouts and just hearing the crowd, what a great experience.

"I just had to step back, take a couple of deep breaths and keep my mind focused on what I was trying to do and not get caught up in the situation. But, yeah, it was a great atmosphere, something I'll always remember."

I will say, our section had quite a war on Saturday on people standing up to much. The very first inning people were telling people to sit down. It got pretty ugly eventually, with ushers, cops, and fans. So I can see where Philly may have been louder if their fans weren't so concerned about being able to sit the whole game.

Either the sound is muffled in the press box or Bob Ford is a complete idiot; his article is ludicrous. Not only was game 3 the loudest game I've been to at Miller Park by a mile it was also louder than any game at Camp Randall. Really, at times I thought it was loud enough to be more irritating than cool.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The first inning was incredibly loud but I think after that it faded a bit.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Either the sound is muffled in the press box or Bob Ford is a complete idiot; his article is ludicrous. Not only was game 3 the loudest game I've been to at Miller Park by a mile it was also louder than any game at Camp Randall. Really, at times I thought it was loud enough to be more irritating than cool.
Seconded. That was easily the loudest game I've been to at Miller Park.

Saturday was the loudest I had ever heard it in Miller Park. I thought it was awesome. Sunday didn't have the same energy as Saturday and I think the ThunderStix had a some to do with it. Because on a normal game, you can get the clap chants going, with the thunderstix they didn't allow the fans to do that if their thunderstix deflated (which by us seemed to be happening a lot).

I did notice that from my seat I could see all the way out to left field and just by the way the thunderstix were being used, I could tell they were chanting "let's go Brewers" even though I couldn't hear them in sec 421, thought that was cool

The very first inning people were telling people to sit down. It got pretty ugly eventually, with ushers, cops, and fans.

Were the majority of the people in your section standing? If not, you'd think that minority would just go with the flow and stand up, as it's probably not worth their time to get the freakin police involved. I can't stand it when people gripe about the crowd on its feet.

You know I haven't had a chance to go on-line since Friday so when I read the article this morning I was a little pissed so I wrote the author about what I thought about his observation. I also figured there was a thread on this, so I checked after I sent this email and sure enough BF.NET did not disappoint. Anyway here was my email:

Hey, I was just reading your website to see what Phillies sports writers were commenting about the series and I came across your article from Saturday night after the Brewer victory. (http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/20081004_Bob_Ford__Like_Brewers_fans__Phils_made_little_noise.html) I do agree with your comment about the Brewers letting the Phillies hang around the game, but I have no idea what you were talking about when you said that the park "wasn't all that loud." I was sitting in section 308 (for both games) and let me tell you the stadium was loud and us Brewer fans were cheering loud throughout the game. I am not sure why you think it wasn't loud but let me tell you the everyone sitting in my section and, from where I was sitting, everywhere else was screaming throughout the game. Also I haven't read your other articles yet, but I am sure you forgot to mention that many of the Brewer fans stayed until the end of Sunday's game and applauded the Phillies for their win and also the Brewers for their season. In fact, I am not sure if you noticed or not, but us "quiet" fans spontaneously started chanting "Let's go Brewers!," afterwards, for quite a few minutes to show our support for our home team. I don't know if that is common around MLB or even if that would happen in Philadelphia had the roles been reversed, but I believe it shows some class. But Judging from your Saturday article, I am not sure you would ever write that about the Milwaukee fans - (I may be wrong because I have not read all your articles yet).
Thanks for reading my email.
-Juan Alvarez
Brewer fan for life
That pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter but in a more polite way than I initially wanted to be.

I will say, our section had quite a war on Saturday on people standing up to much. The very first inning people were telling people to sit down. It got pretty ugly eventually, with ushers, cops, and fans. So I can see where Philly may have been louder if their fans weren't so concerned about being able to sit the whole game.

That's too bad, what is this? The old people section of Camp Randall where you can't stand up during play in a Playoff game? I was up for most the game and so were most people around me. I did feel bad for the guy behind me so I tried to make sure I wasn't blocking his view but please... If you don't want to stand, fine, just don't be pissed at those who are up showing excitement.

Archived