Brewer Fanatic

What happened to Weeks? [Answer: torn cartilage-left knee; off LDS (and LCS) roster; Escobar now on 25-man roster -- reply #10ish]

bobskube

As much as people want to jump on weeks for his hitting and defense at times, I can say that I have never seen him dog it to first on an infield ground ball. Of course I'm sure that's no consolation to a forum full of people that mostly hate David Eckstein.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

As much as people want to jump on weeks for his hitting and defense at times, I can say that I have never seen him dog it to first on an infield ground ball. Of course I'm sure that's no consolation to a forum full of people that mostly hate David Eckstein.

Nobody hates Eckstein because he busts his tale to first on a ball that is in play. People hate Eckstein because he runs to first on a walk, looks like he lobs the ball to first and is like 5'3"

Nobody hates Eckstein because he busts his tale to first on a ball that is in play. People hate Eckstein because he runs to first on a walk, looks like he lobs the ball to first and is like 5'3"
Is that seriously the reason people hate him? Man, I'm not tall, but I'm not 5'3" either. Thank goodness, or more people would hate me.

(edit: nested quote --1992)

No people hate Eckstein because the media makes him out to be this great player when at his peak he was average. There are a lot of Ecksteins, just none with his press.
This is pretty much why I don't like him. The announcers all drool over him like he is the best player in the world just because he is scrappy.

Actually, I think he's about the same height as me 5'7"- 5'8" . So, you probably wouldn't like me either.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Personally, I would have rather seen Joe Dillon called up than Escobar. The article states why he wasn't called up, but we may be getting too inexperienced with Escobar at this point. Dillon would be a good bat off the bench from this point forward.

Wow, his injury didn't look like it was major at all- just looked to be a tweak or something.

It should be interesting to see what the prognosis is on recovery time, as with surgery I wonder whether he'll be at full strength in February.

Has Escobar played different positions in ST games? He has only played SS in his minor league career, and Ash said that Alcides was chosen for his versatility. Dillon has quite a bit of utility experience, but the Brewers may feel that Escobar's ability and skills will allow him to play anywhere if needed, and Dillon's bat has slipped where he isn't a huge upgrade over Escobar there either, plus Alcides is a better PR.

Stinks for Weeks. I was kind of surprised that Sveum put Counsell at 2B last night rather than Durham, and I don't remember the announcers talking about that. I didn't want to wage through the IGT, was it strictly a defensive move, did Durham have awful numbers against Moyer? It worked out, but it made me wonder if Durham wasn't 100%.

I don't expect Dillon or Escobar to really play much so it is no big deal. I'd probably be happier with Dillon hitting in a key spot but it isn't a huge difference. I'd rather have Weeks than either of them.

Dillon has done nothing as a pinch hitter this season.
And last season, as a pinch hitter, Dillon hit .406 / .441 / .594. Of course, since both of these samples are less than 50 PA, they tell you essentially nothing about his actual hitting ability, which is orders of magnitude beyond Escobar's at this point in their respective careers.

Of course, since both of these samples are less than 50 PA, they tell you essentially nothing about his actual hitting ability, which is orders of magnitude beyond Escobar's at this point in their respective careers.

How many orders of magnitude would that be specifically? Dillon didn't swing the bat that well this year, at any level. His one skill this year was walking.

kramnoj wrote

Stinks for Weeks. I was kind of surprised that Sveum put Counsell at 2B last night rather than Durham, and I don't remember the announcers talking about that. I didn't want to wage through the IGT, was it strictly a defensive move, did Durham have awful numbers against Moyer? It worked out, but it made me wonder if Durham wasn't 100%.

I would have rather had Durham out there as well, but I think Counsell's range made one play that Durham wouldn't have gotten to.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived