Brewer Fanatic

Rocco Baldelli...

Id love to have the guy but I think if we are going to add a bat to the outfield it would have to be a left handed bat. That way we could have 4 OFs with the lefty rotating around to keep the others fresh.

Garrett Anderson or even Jim Edmonds in my mind would be great bats to add to the team.

I don't know. Both of those guys are getting up there in years.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I figure we only need them for a year - While Edmonds really only can play center Field, he can also play some 1b in case of an injuryo the Prince . He has really shown a knack for getting on base. When Braun or Hart need a day off, Cam plays LF or RF with Edmonds in CF. Andersons defense seems like it might have slipped a bit but as a 4th OF, I think he would be great.

just an idea is all

• 3 weeks later...
Looks like he will end up with Boston according to MLBTR.
I love how the Red Sox do business. They are closing in on Baldelli and Smoltz who are great fits for their team. With that rotation in Boston Smoltz will be able to be eased into starting again. They have Beckett, Dice-K, Lester, Wakefield, Penny, Smoltz, along with Bucholz and Masterson. They sound like they may move one of the young guys for a catcher like Salty. The Baldelli signing backs-up each outfield spot with Drew, Ellsbury, and Bay starting.

It is strange because they are a big market team acting like a small market team this winter.

jjfan, good point about the catching. It sounds like they are sick of Boras' antics and are more than ready to move on from Varitek, since they are demanding silly amounts for a catcher who is aging rapidly. Trading for a young catcher like Saltalamacchia would make them quite solid going forward.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

They have Beckett, Dice-K, Lester, Wakefield, Penny, Smoltz, along with Bucholz and Masterson.
So that's 8 solid starters and a still-loaded bullpen. If you're Doug Melvin, do you consider making an offer of Fielder for Buchholz, Masterson, & Lowell (most all salary pd. by Boston)? It would be similar to the Beckett deal in which the Sox got Lowell as well since taking him on created the salary relief the Marlins needed.

So the Red Sox got both Kotsay ($1.5 million) and Baldelli ($1.75 million plus incentives) for anywhere from 1/3 to 2/3 what the Brewers are paying Cameron and now the alternatives to Cameron are disappearing.

Of course neither of those guys are as good as cameron or really able to play every day.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Even so, I would have loved Baldelli as a left handed option off the bench and a potential platoon with Hart.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Baldelli's contract is great for the Sox. $500,000 base, with a 1.75 million bonus if he is on the active roster all year and other incentives that could bring his cost up to 7.5 million if he makes 600 PA

So, he makes 2.25 million if he stays healthy plus whatever of the other incentives he gets. That is a pretty good deal for a fourth outfielder if you are the Sox. It is also good for Baldelli because if he can stay healthy this year he will get a nice deal next year

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

"According to Baseball-Reference Baldelli is right handed. "

Well then there goes that idea. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I could have swore he was a lefty.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived