Brewer Fanatic

UW Band suspended, will not be at Ohio State game

owbc

though it was proven to be false, "sexual fondling" is a pretty serious thing. this was brought to the attention of the authorities the day before the game.

bottom line: i think (hope) they get the point this time.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

though it was proven to be false, "sexual fondling" is a pretty serious thing. this was brought to the attention of the authorities the day before the game.

I agree that it's a very serious allegation. But again, I fail to see how having a marching band perform at a game while the allegations are investigated is a time sensitive matter. Figure out who is guilty, then punish them or the band or whomever is deserving of the punishment. The "they didn't have the time to pinpoint the guilty parties" argument makes no sense at all. Were they afraid the guilty people would try to escape to Mexico in the Bucky Wagon or something? And it's still innocent until proven guilty, not the other way around, right?

say allegations surface that a member or two or three of the Wisconsin Basketball team were drinking underage and causing problems (or, say, hazing the freshmen team members) on the Big Ten Tournament Trip. Again, is there one person that thinks they would suspend the entire team before their next game while they "sorted things out"? Not a chance in the world.

if the team wasnt talking like it was rumored that the band wasnt, possibly.

there is rumor that people were asked to come forward and nobody did. i am guessing (total speculation) that the band was suspended in hopes that the guilty party(ies) would fess up...which didnt seem to happen.

after having taught for a few years, it is amazing how quick the facts come out when blanket punishments are given out.

again, this is just all speculation.

there is rumor that people were asked to come forward and nobody did. i am guessing (total speculation) that the band was suspended in hopes that the guilty party(ies) would fess up

Well, the State Journal and the Madison TV stations reported that the university told the director of the allegations just before 4:00 last Friday, and that the Band was informed of what was going on and told of the suspension shortly thereafter and sent home around 4:30. That timeline makes your scenario seem fairly unlikely, as I doubt the university would expect the situation to be resolved in a half hour, with members openly coming forward with information with the other 2-300 members of the band there as well.

I guess my point is simple: you don't punish the whole group for the actions of a few. I think the university made a decision in haste for no apparent reason, as I can't imagine there were dire consequences to letting the band perform while the investigation was on going. Plus, there's a serious problem with essentially saying, 'we don't know who the guilty parties are, so we're going to punish you all until we figure out who deserved it'. And, as you said, one of the allegations (and probably the most serious one) was found out to be false- what would have happened if by chance ALL of the allegations had been found to be false?

Plus, there's a serious problem with essentially saying, 'we don't know who the guilty parties are, so we're going to punish you all until we figure out who deserved it'. And, as you said, one of the allegations (and probably the most serious one) was found out to be false- what would have happened if by chance ALL of the allegations had been found to be false?
it may be wrong, but it generally is effective.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I don't know why Kevin Gullikson was brought in to this, but you guys do know he played only a couple minutes after his latest run in right?

He wasn't really playing much before that was he?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Gullikson was part of Bo Ryan's rotation before the suspension. He played a significant role in the 2006 tournament season, including nearly being the leading scorer in our only big dance game.

Last time I checked, he's on this year's roster, and he'll be playing quite a few minutes for a walk-on.

Yeah but weren't there a ton of injuries/suspensions/leaves of absenceseses in 2006? I think he was playing because there wasn't anyone else.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I don't think that proves anything. Bo always tightens up his rotation right around the Big Ten opener.

Nankovil:

http://sports.espn.go.com...?playerId=36139&year=2008

Maybe the underage tickets had something to do with it but Gullickson isn't that good anyway and he's probably fallen in the pecking order.

The article says they have new procedures and policies in place so, no, I don't think your last sentence is the case.

Well, the new policies seem to be 'seat people randomly on the buses', which seems a fairly minor concession considering they're less than a week from 'suspended indefinitely from traveling'.

Archived