Brewer Fanatic

Dave Bush to start game 3

phxMILWfan

not entirely surprising, better him than Suppan though. Hopefully he can throw strikes (but not meatballs) and our offense can figure out how to hit a change up.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I don't want Gallardo to pitch on Sunday no matter what happens today or on Saturday.
Can I ask why? He had a leg injury, not an arm injury. This is the playoffs. The whole 3 day vs 4 day rest is way overblown if you ask me.

(fixed code --1992)

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Can I ask why? He had a leg injury, not an arm injury. This is the playoffs. The whole 3 day vs 4 day rest is way overblown if you ask me.
Because I don't want to risk an injury to Gallardo either to his arm or to his leg. I would rather have Suppan go at home where he pitches rather well than have Gallardo go. It is not overblown when you have someone who hasn't pitched since the early part of the year. Gallardo is on a pitch count and I would rather have him fully available for game 1 of the NLCS than for a game 4 in the NLDS. If anything we will still have Sabathia for game 5 if necessary.

I would rather have him fully available for game 1 of the NLCS than for a game 4 in the NLDS.
They don't get to the NLCS unless they win the NLDS. They have a better chance, imho, with Gallardo pitching than Suppan to make the NLCS. In the pregame Sveum said his pitch limit would be around 90. He threw 75 pitches. Does 24 hours really make that big of a difference? (Ok, I'm asking for a slew of responses from people telling me how much of a difference it makes). The wusification of today's MLB ball player kills me.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I would also prefer to see Gallardo go on Sunday over Suppan, even if it's for only three or four innings. Two of McClung, Villanueva and Parra should be availble to go multiple innings, or I suppose you could use Suppan in relief. I'm not too worried about the injury risk to Gallardo, as he still hasn't thrown many pitches and three days' rest one time is a bit overblown.

Bush has grown on me this season. I'm happy he gets his shot at it. All we really need out of him is five innings or so and let the middle relief take over. Maybe this isn't the right place for this but I think our middle relief guys don't get enough credit. They really aren't bad at all. The back end of the pen isn't strong so everybody just assumes the whole pen sucks.

Isn't it crazy we signed Suppan for all that money for a situation just like this and he is not even going to start.

I've seen this said all over the place but I seem to remember Melvin saying the main reason they got him was because he was reliable and could take the ball every fifth day. At the time the Brewers were coming off a year in which they had multiple injuries in the rotation and couldn't find enough warm bodies to field the 4th and 5th spots int the rotation. That reason for getting him makes a heck of a lot more sense than Melvin deciding to get him based off a handful of playoff games. I think he did mention his playoff expereince and veteran leadership but more or less that it was a bonus not as the primary reason.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Eeek, I wouldn't start Suppan, period.

If they are down 2-1, I don't want Suppan in the state, let alone starting.

If they are up 2-1, I'd rather try to end it with YoGa and a combo of relievers, in the hope you can save CC for the NLCS

Ok, you've convinced me.

Even is Suppan starts, there's no reason Gallardo can't come in relief at the first sign of trouble. I don't think Svuem will allow Suppan more than twice through the order even if he's sharp and not that much if he's not.

I expect the same plan to be in effect with Bush, with Parra/McClung ready practically from the start.

Personally, I'd start Parra in game 4. Lefthanders are just better matchups vs. Phillies.

They don't get to the NLCS unless they win the NLDS. They have a better chance, imho, with Gallardo pitching than Suppan to make the NLCS.

I think they have a better chance with Yoga if game 3 doesn't use the bullpen too much. If Bush pitches well in game 3 I'm fine with Yo starting game 4. If the bullpen is used a ton, I guess Suppan gets some consideration. We could piggy back them both depending on the outcome. Who would be better out of the pen...Yo or Suppan?

Archived