Brewer Fanatic

You stay Classy Philly

sausage racer

ANyone else see these photos on jsonline?

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/photographer/28/28996_large.jpg

The Phillie Phanatic crushes a Milwaukee Sausage.

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/photographer/29/29008_large.jpg

Milwaukee's sausage race is mocked in Philly.

Living in southeast PA, the fans and the media are pretty much giving us the Bushville treatment and making no bones about looking past us to the NLCS.

Aside from the silliness of the "mock" sausage race and faux-Randall Simon, I'd have to say that the Phillies fans were pretty much "as advertised" for the game yesterday. I've lived in the Philly area for a long time and have attended many Phillies games and every time, I'm reminded about why I don't try and make it down for more games: the company sucks. They didn't behave any differently than they typically do. My wife and I sat one section to the right of the left-field foul pole and were taunted pretty well, along with having junk tossed on us from the seats that were higher up from us.

I know that Brewers fans and Midwesterners can be far from model in how they treat others at sporting events, but, my usual sense is that we give other fans a lot of rope to hang themselves with before we get sucked in to petty chicanery. Philly fans just get in your face right from the get go and they revel in their obnoxiousness. It'd be nice to see the crew shut these folks up today by thoroughly thrashing the Phillies. I'll be there again taking my abuse but cheering my heart out for our team.

I mentioned this in another thread...I was at an Angel game out here about 10 years ago. The Phillie Phanatic was there for some reason. He wound up in my section and sat on my lap. The guy was as stinky and sticky as you can imagine so I was not pleased. It was like he hadn't washed his costume since he was doused in beer at the last 100 Phillies games. I wound up shoving him off of me and uttered a few profanities...which always goes over well at the family friendly Disney atmosphere of the Big A. Not a good scene.

The guy was as stinky and sticky as you can imagine so I was not pleased. It was like he hadn't washed his costume since he was doused in beer at the last 100 Phillies games.

I used to know a guy who was UWM's mascot "Victor-E", and he would always tell me how nasty the costume would get. The suit was a sweat-box. He shared the costume with a few others, and they would always get the costume dry cleaned after each use. He said the nastiest part was the head, which they couldn't dry-clean, so all they could do was spray half a bottle of febreeze in it.

Living in southeast PA, the fans and the media are pretty much giving us the Bushville treatment and making no bones about looking past us to the NLCS.

I've been reading a few articles from newspapers from the Philadelphia area, and I'm getting the same impression. It's strange, as the NLDS is a short series, and virtually any team could defeat another in a five-game series. Heck, the Nationals or Mariners could beat the Phillies in a 5-game series.

If not for 1980, the Philadelphia Phillies would be in the same boat as the Chicago Cubs. In fact, the entire city has been suffering for awhile. The city hasn't won a title in any sport since 1983. It just kills me that three teams from Philadelphia will have stabbed the collective hearts of Wisconsin sports fans in the past seven years: 76ers vs. Bucks; Packers vs. Eagles; and, assuming the Brewers lose, Brewers vs. Phillies. But, for the record, the sausage race parody is kind of funny. We'll earn some respect if we win tonight.

We win tonight and they will all be hiding under their beds. I thought it was funny but know the fans aren't exactly the friendliest. They are the guys who booed Santa and jeered at an injured player after all.

But if we don't want to be treated like Bushville we shouldn't play like it.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

The sausage thing doesn't bother me one bit, although I don't find it particularly funny.

I think most people don't realize that we see the sausage races as goofy, somewhat self-deprecating fun.

As far as Philly fans go, they've always been awful, even on the road--I went to a Bears-Eagles game a few years back and they were absolutely insufferable. I think they want to live up to some kind of tough guy act but mostly they just strike me as clowns.

The sausage thing doesn't bother me one bit, although I don't find it particularly funny.

I think most people don't realize that we see the sausage races as goofy, somewhat self-deprecating fun.

As far as Philly fans go, they've always been awful, even on the road--I went to a Bears-Eagles game a few years back and they were absolutely insufferable. I think they want to live up to some kind of tough guy act but mostly they just strike me as clowns.

Great points all, SF

Archived