Brewer Fanatic

10/02/08 Brewers (Sabathia) at Phillies (Myers): 5:00 PM CDT

hawing
What's wrong with a little hyperbole now and then? We all use it to get our points across. I don't think Bruce is literally saying he's done watching the team. It's just a way of expressing his frustration.

You mean I've never actually set my Brewer hat on fire or thrown my shoe through the television while Dave Bush walks another .173 hitter on four pitches? Well, my wife will appreciate that, I guess. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In all fairness, that pitch was grooved. Prince just didn't get his hands far enough in.

Absolutely 175,000% correct. If he takes that pitch, he doesn't get a better one to hit the rest of the at-bat, no matter how long it lasts. Romero was notorious while in Minnesota for trying to get away with grooving first pitches. It's the best time to try to get him.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

What's wrong with a little hyperbole now and then? We all use it to get our points across. I don't think Bruce is literally saying he's done watching the team. It's just a way of expressing his frustration.

That's all he ever does, though. I want to talk baseball, not be his shrink.

I wish the determined the winner of the series based on how many innings you win, because we'd be ahead.

EDIT: I was beaten to the punch. I actually thought of this oddity just before the announcers mentioned it. So, really, I should get credit. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Well, that's a little hyperbole right there, too (just to be fair to, um, me).

And you don't want to be my shrink. You got that right. There isn't nearly enough money in my wallet to make it worth your effort.

That said, I wish I could flip a switch and react less emotionally and more like many of you. I mean that. I've calmed noticeably from my can-crushing and item-throwing days in college, but I hate how mad I get.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

The idea that the offense simply isn't patient enough doesn't hold any water, IMO. They took more pitches in the regular season than the average NL team, so it's not like they are just hacking at everything. And just brining in a guy who puts more balls into play next year isn't going to help a lick if he's not actually better overall than his replacement.

The Brewers' offense projected to be the worst in the playoffs, so what are you going to do? They are what they are. If they want to get better next year, they will have to get some better hitters. 3B is screaming to be improved.

As a whole, I would agree that the Brewers took their pitches and did not just go up and hack and the first couple of balls thrown. The problem is that they seem to be impatient in the worst situations. Hart swinging at the first pitch after Hardy was walked to score a run would not have been as upsetting if we all hadn't seen it numerous times before with Brewer hitters. It's spots like that were the pitcher is clearly struggling to throw strikes and, too many times this season, the Brewers let him of the hook by swinging early or at bad pitches. Melvin (or his replacement) will need to overhaul this offense to include batters that can get on base consistently and not rely solely on the long ball. Nothing wrong with hitting for power, but there are too many free swinging, high strike out hitters on this team right now, and the end of this season has exposed that flaw to the nth degree.

Well, that's a little hyperbole right there, too (just to be fair to, um, me).

And you don't want to be my shrink. You got that right. There isn't nearly enough money in my wallet to make it worth your effort.

That said, I wish I could flip a switch and react less emotionally and more like many of you. I mean that. I've calmed noticeably from my can-crushing and item-throwing days in college, but I hate how mad I get.

where did you go to college, out of curiosity, Bruce? seriously.

As a whole, I would agree that the Brewers took their pitches and did not just go up and hack and the first couple of balls thrown. The problem is that they seem to be impatient in the worst situations. Hart swinging at the first pitch after Hardy was walked to score a run would not have been as upsetting if we all hadn't seen it numerous times before with Brewer hitters. It's spots like that were the pitcher is clearly struggling to throw strikes and, too many times this season, the Brewers let him of the hook by swinging early or at bad pitches. Melvin (or his replacement) will need to overhaul this offense to include batters that can get on base consistently and not rely solely on the long ball. Nothing wrong with hitting for power, but there are too many free swinging, high strike out hitters on this team right now, and the end of this season has exposed that flaw to the nth degree.

I'd take some Randy Winn or the like.

Archived