Brewer Fanatic

Has Weeks started his last game as a Brewer?

bklynbrewcrew
I hope he's gone at the end of the year. He's had more than enough chances and failed every time. It's time for both him and the team to move on. If we hold onto him another year and he bombs again we'd be looking at getting an A ball type prospect for him. This winter we could probably still get a pretty good minor leaguer or a relief pitcher who might be some good for him.

Hardy will not play 2B. He could possibly move to 3B. Or keep JJ at SS and have Escobar play 2B.
I agree that Hardy would be somewhat of a waste at 2nd considering his arm and if moved should be to 3rd, but Escobar would be even more of a waste at 2nd considering he is already considered gold glove caliber at SS and has a magnificent arm.

I agree completely, Hardy to 2nd would be a waste. I say move Hardy to 3rd(b/c of his cannon for an arm, and above average defense) and keep the gold glove potential in Escobar at SS. As for weeks, I wouldn't be opposed to keep him around for one more shot, as long as he is NOT our leadoff hitter. As a prospect, he was coveted for his power, not for his ability to be a leadoff hitter. So why not drop him down in the lineup where he doesn't have to concentrate on doing all of the things that a leadoff hitter has to do, and he can concentrate more on his natural ability and power--things he excelled at in college .

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
All these years in the NL, and many still do not seem to understand what and why a double switch is made.

Of course, we still hear about so and so being a long reliever, even though that role really does not exist in the NL, so I guess I should not be surprised.

I won't get into guessing about next year until I know who the GM is, as it's tough to type out several what ifs, considering most will never happen.

So I take it that it's ok to condescend on this board as long as it's not done to one person in particular?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think it's a must in the off-season that Doug Melvin explores any type of option that might get rid of Weeks for some pitching help, possibly as a package deal with another player(even toss in Bill Hall for free). You can make all the arguments you want about how he played better in the 2nd half this year, but just imagine how many more runs this team would have scored if he would have at least hit .250 and had a OBP over .375? I used to always be high on Weeks, but next year the Brewers would be a doing a disservice to the fans and the organization if he gets tossed out there everyday as the starting 2B and leadoff hitter. If he had a different role on the team, I can see the Brewers keeping him, but he's just not getting it done in his current role.

Hardy will not play 2B. He could possibly move to 3B. Or keep JJ at SS and have Escobar play 2B.
I agree that Hardy would be somewhat of a waste at 2nd considering his arm and if moved should be to 3rd, but Escobar would be even more of a waste at 2nd considering he is already considered gold glove caliber at SS and has a magnificent arm.
What would you do with Gamel then? Would you look to trade Fielder or try to trade Gamel or move Gamel to the outfield. Just interested to see what people think.

Yes, Weeks was yanked because there was a double switch. I'd assume the overwhelming majority of people on this board understand why it's made. The original poster raises an important question: How long are the Brewers going to wait for Rickie Weeks?

I've had it with him. I don't believe the Brewers would fare well in a trade involved Weeks, but his defense is unacceptable. As far his hitting ... who knows about his wrist? He should definitely NOT be leading off for the Brewers next season.

If it was up to me i would trade fielder as painful as that would be for Matt Cain or Grienke or someonelse who is young and has 2 or 3 starter potential. Move Gamel to 1st Base and then aquire a veteran type player to play second base like the O-Dogg or Roberts or someone like that. Escobar at SS and Hardy at 3rd.

The lead post is a vent and focuses on one game. There's condescension among the responses. Let's quit while we're kinda ahead.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived