Brewer Fanatic

Has Weeks started his last game as a Brewer?

bklynbrewcrew
After making that ridiculous error and being yanked in the middle of game I dont think Weeks will make another start in a Brewers uniform. Moyer starts game 3 but I think Durham will play that game and Weeks will only be used as a pinch hitter. I have been one of Rickie's biggest supporters but even I realize he may never live up to expectations. I think we dump him in the offseason for whatever we can get which probably wont be much. If this does happen I think Rickie will go down as one of the biggest disappointments in Brewers history.

After making that ridiculous error and being yanked in the middle of game I dont think Weeks will make another start in a Brewers uniform. Moyer starts game 3 but I think Durham will play that game and Weeks will only be used as a pinch hitter. I have been one of Rickie's biggest supporters but even I realize he may never live up to expectations. I think we dump him in the offseason for whatever we can get which probably wont be much. If this does happen I think Rickie will go down as one of the biggest disappointments in Brewers history.

I'm not a Weeks guy by any means, but I just wouldn't dump him for nothing. Someone here will have to let me know, but is he out of options? I'd like to see him 'start over' and start the year in AAA unless he comes into came and has found it. I would do that or possibly have him as a backup. I'll admit the main problem with having him as a backup is you'd like to see your backup play some defense. I think if trading him is the end result his value is low and I'd be against that.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
It was a doubleswitch. I wouldn't read too much into it.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

If Ray is close to 100%, I wouldn't be surprised if Rickie doesn't start another game this series. And he is a good bet to get traded in the offseason. So I guess if all things go a certain way it's possible.

His defense is just amazingly inconsistent. He makes a really tough play in the 1st, and screws up the easy one in the 3rd. If he was raking, I could live with it. But he hits like your average middle infielder.

Mark me down as one that does not want to see him go. I think he should be the starting 2B for the Brewers again next season. I'd like to explore trying Durham at 3B next year, though not sure how realistic that is. Or bring Lamb back.

I hope he's gone. This isn't the first time he's dropped a throw right in his glove. It's happened multiple times this season alone. At some point, you just can't have stuff like that. He botches too many routine plays, and his strikeout ladened .740 OPS doesn't come close to making up for his pitiful defense and silly baserunning decsions in my mind.

I've seen enough.

I would bring back Rickie next year. I'm willing to give him 1 more year to show he can play 2B at a high level hitting and defense. If he doesn't I would just end the relationship someway somehow. I also wouldn't look into him getting taken out. They wanted to double switch so Carlos could pitch a couple of innings and Weeks was the last out so they switched him. I would be shocked if Weeks didn't start Saturday against the lefty Moyer.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I'm wondering if weeks is in centerfield next year and the brewers save money by not picking cameron's option

Since I don't think 2009 is a 'go for it' season for the Crew, I'd like to see Braun to CF & Weeks to LF. I just don't think Rickie has the time to learn CF at an acceptable (read: non-Bill Hall) level.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I raised the question of Weeks to centerfield in one of Hardicourts question and answer sessions. He said some advocated Weeks as an outfielder when he was drafted but the Brewers didn't and still aren't seriously considering this move.

Couldn't Escobar be moved to second base, or Gamel to second and Escobar to third, or some variation of that? I would like to see Weeks get traded but only if the Brewers could get something of equal or greater value for him.

All these years in the NL, and many still do not seem to understand what and why a double switch is made.

Of course, we still hear about so and so being a long reliever, even though that role really does not exist in the NL, so I guess I should not be surprised.

I won't get into guessing about next year until I know who the GM is, as it's tough to type out several what ifs, considering most will never happen.

Couldn't Escobar be moved to second base, or Gamel to second and Escobar to third, or some variation of that? I would like to see Weeks get traded but only if the Brewers could get something of equal or greater value for him.

Personally, I would move Hardy to second and put Escobar at short. Then I would plug Gamel in at 3rd. I know it won't happen but the overall defense in the infield should improve. What the Brewers would lose in Gamel vs. Hall/Counsell, they would more than make up for in Hardy vs. Weeks. Escobar vs. Hardy at short should be a wash. Plus the infield would have a lot more offense to it.

I'm ok with Weeks, he played average defense overall on the season and was a pretty average hitter. Hall is the one that has to go, he has really hurt the team.

As for Weeks being a disappointment, depends on how you look at it I guess.

D. Young

R. Weeks

K. Sleeth

T.Stauffer

C.Lubanski

R.Harvey

Those are the top 6 picks in the 2003 draft and so far Weeks has been the best of the bunch.

N.Markakis, P.Maholm, J.Danks were the next 3 and they obviously look like better bets atm but no reason Weeks can't end up being more valuable than Maholm and Danks has been proven yet. It wasn't a great draft class.

Hardy will not play 2B. He could possibly move to 3B. Or keep JJ at SS and have Escobar play 2B.
I agree that Hardy would be somewhat of a waste at 2nd considering his arm and if moved should be to 3rd, but Escobar would be even more of a waste at 2nd considering he is already considered gold glove caliber at SS and has a magnificent arm.

Archived