Brewer Fanatic

Jake Peavy

I'm ok with the Braves getting Jake Peavey. I'm not overly familiar with the Braves farm system, or major league team for that matter, but it doesn't seem as if this potential trade will really put them over the top. Losing Yunel Escobar will hurt a bit I would imagine, but I don't think this trade will make the Braves a legit contender. If anything this seems to fill the hole Tim Hudson left after his arm injury.
Follow me on Twitter

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For some reason, even though I know its probably not true, I think that the Brewers will keep trying to get in the mix for Peavy, especially if talks between SD and ATL slow down. I'd like to see them sign Trevor Hoffman, maybe that would help change Peavy's mind about coming to Milwaukee. I think we have more to offer SD than either the Braves or Cubs.

• 3 weeks later...
Because the Cubs want to keep Marshall and Fontenot... I guess they think their package of Kevin Hart/Corey Patterson/"Lou Piniella's used jock from last year" should be enough for Jake Peavy, and really, who amongst us could turn down that package, even for our first born?

I just don't understand why we can't get in the mix for Peavy if what the Cubs are offering is true. I know we don't have young pitching but what if we have a three team deal with the Yankees and send them Cameron, we get Ian Kennedy and flip him to the Padres with another top prospect, and Gwynn Jr. Fontenot is the only Cubs player I think is good that they are offering. I know Peavy would need to okay a deal to us and get an extension so that is probably the reason this would never happen but a guy can dream

This article from the Baltimore Sun lists the Orioles as that 3rd team: http://www.baltimoresun.c...ioles1129,0,3629851.story

Orioles would get Pie and Padres would get Garrett Olson from the Orioles. As an Orioles fan I think this proposal is ridiculous. Pie is the second coming of Corey Patterson and Olson is a lefty starter who has stalled in the majors but put up good minor league numbers.

If the Brewers lose both CC and Sheets they need to make a run at Peavy. We can offer Escobar and others and that will easily top the garbage that the Cubs are offering.

So in the end we basically traded away all of our great prospects for an ace. I would rather spend the extra money it takes to sign CC and keep our prospects who we can plug in the lineup at a cheap price over the next 3-5 years with the hope that one of the prospects (Escobar?) turns into something really special.

I found comparing the contract situations for Peavy & Sabathia interesting. 4 more guaranteed seasons on Peavy's contract:

2009: $8M

2010: $15M

2011: $16M

2012: $17M

2013: $22M club option ($4M buyout)

That's an AAV of $14M -- around the AAV people are tossing around for Sheets -- prior to 2013. AAV of $15.6 through '13.

Sabathia's reported deal (if he accepted the Crew's offer) would run guaranteed through 2014 at an AAV of appx. $18M. 2013 will be both players' age-32 season. Peavy had some elbow soreness this season, but to expect that Sabathia would get through that entire 6-year stretch without any arm trouble is playing slim, slim odds. He's been one of the hardest-worked pitchers in the game the past 2 seasons, and Yost really abused his arm in 2008.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

TooLiveBrew wrote:

He's been one of the hardest-worked pitchers in the game the past 2 seasons, and Yost really abused his arm in 2008.

He only averaged 4 more pitches per game under Yost than he did in Cleveland. Yost also wasn't the one pitching CC over 100 pitches every time out on short rest including 122 to finish the regular season.

Pitches per game

Year/Peavy/Sabathia

2002/95.7/102.4

2003/100.8/104.9

2004/99.5/103.5

2005/105.3/101.7

2006/104.9/104.9

2007/106.4/105.4

2008/106/109

Pitches per inning

Year/Peavy/Sabathia

2002/16.7/16.1

2003/16.6/15.9

2004/16.1/16.5

2005/15.6/16

2006/16.6/15.2

2007/16.2/14.9

2008/16.5/15.1

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I would be behind the acquisition of Peavy. It could just be the Padres playing us off the Cubs but if it could be done, I would hope Melvin would at least inquire. It continues to seem like the price wouldn't be as steep as the Mariners paid for Bedard last year and it would save us money over what CC would cost. Also, as an aside, Peavy is no slouch with the bat, either. He hit at Petco, but he is no Sheets.

I have a bad feeling the Cubs are going to get him. They have a hisotry of acquiring allstar caliber players (Lee, Ramirez, Harden) for garbage. We have much more to offer...its just a matter of whether we want to. Personally a rotation led by Peavy, Gallardo, and Parra for the next 4 years would be pretty amazing, but if you can sign Sabathia I'd prefer that. It'll cost more in terms of money but we'll save some prospects. We make up the Sabathia money by replacing guys like Hart and Fielder with Cain and Gamel.

Peavy would make sense. He could probably be acquired for Hart, Villanueva, and a third big leaguer
I would not want to give up Villy but it would make sense that we would have to give him up. There were rumors that Ian Kennedy could maybe be part of a Cameron deal (although it has been denied recently) but if we did get Kennedy we could flip him to the Padres. He seems like someone they would like with him being a young starter. He could be an interesting part of the deal.

From this article it appears that a 3 , maybe even 4 team deal is somewhat close that would send Peavy to the Cubs. The other teams that could be involved are the orioles and phillies. The cubs also might be able to rid themeselves of Jason Marquis through this deal. Just to make it clear, Hendry has not approved the deal, but Towers seems somewhat hopeful, saying that a deal could "happen quick." if the cubs agree to take on all of Peavy's contract, which I never thought was an issue.

Here is a link to mlbtrade rumors which has all the various rumors of players that could be involved in this proposed deal.

This is ridiculous. The Cubs are going to give up fringe MLB players, if that, for 3 years of Jake Peavy, or whatever he has on his contract. The Brewers had to give up a big time prospect and another good prospect for 1/2 season of an ace. Irritating.

I would not get too worried yet, as Hendry has not approved yet, and I am sure no one knows the exact players who are going. I would say any deal will involve the Cubs giving up Vitters to the Padres, and Pie to the orioles. Other than that it is all speculation. Kevin Hart, Sean Marshall, Ronny Cedeno, Angel Guzman, Mark DeRosa, and godforbid Jason Marquis are other players that could be involved but no one knows for sure.

There is no reason why we shouldnt make a run at Peavy. The Cubs are offering a bunch of garbage and I am sure we can beat that without totally depleting our system.
There is actually one big reason. Peavy has a no trade clause that includes the Brewers. We could offer Braun and Gallardo and the Padres couldnt make the deal because Peavy would no approve it.

Have we made any attempt to speak to Peavy about his no trade clause? I have a major problem with the Cubs aquiring another ace for scraps while we sit around and wait for CC to reject us and make no effort whatsoever to sign Sheets.

Are we seriously gonna go into next year with Gallardo as our number one starter? I love Yovani but thats a lot of pressure on his shoulders. We cant afford to watch the Cubs get Peavy while we let our two aces leave without viable replacements. If we miss out on CC, Sheets, and Peavy and sign a stiff like Garland I will be very disappointed.

Archived