Brewer Fanatic

Jake Peavy

Yep the goal each year should be to build a team to win 90 games. That will more than likely get you into the playoffs. You can't worry too much about what other teams do, the goal is always going to be 90 wins. Sometimes that's the Division and sometimes thats the Wild Card, so what?

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What you don't realize is allowing a team like the Cubs to be virtually guaranteed a division title makes our chances of winning the wild card even more difficult. When other teams in the division become better, that means our record is bound to get worse because we play those teams the vast majority of the time. That is why when people say oh well who cares if the Cubs get Peavy I find it laughable. He's a top 5 pitcher in the NL and you put him with the rest of their staff and they have the division locked up. I don't want to rebuild at all. I'm just worked up because the Cubs get 10x better with this trade. They will have favorable pitching match ups verses us every time we face them. That IS scary.

What you don't realize is allowing a team like the Cubs to be virtually guaranteed a division title makes our chances of winning the wild card even more difficult. When other teams in the division become better, that means our record is bound to get worse because we play those teams the vast majority of the time. That is why when people say oh well who cares if the Cubs get Peavy I find it laughable. He's a top 5 pitcher in the NL and you put him with the rest of their staff and they have the division locked up. I don't want to rebuild at all. I'm just worked up because the Cubs get 10x better with this trade. They will have favorable pitching match ups verses us every time we face them. That IS scary.
Are you sure they would be 10x better? If they get Peavy it is unlikely they resign Peavy. How much better can Peavy be than Dempster was last year? Not a whole lot better IMO, plus the Cubs would be losing a ton of depth and would in for a world of hurt if they are struck by the injury bug. I think they will be better but it won't guarantee a division title.

Ronny Cedeno, Felix Pie and Sean Marshall? Why not just send a garbage truck over to Wrigley to pick up all of the Cubs trash while they are at it. For crying out loud, why dont we send them Tony Gwynn Jr., Hernan Irribarren and Seth McClung (I know, I know, Peavy doesnt want to play for a dismal franchise like Milwaukee).

The Padres are crazy. Peavy isnt overpaid in the least. If they dont pay him who will they pay? They should tell the Cubs to take a hike.

Ronny Cedeno, Felix Pie and Sean Marshall? Why not just send a garbage truck over to Wrigley to pick up all of the Cubs trash while they are at it. For crying out loud, why dont we send them Tony Gwynn Jr., Hernan Irribarren and Seth McClung (I know, I know, Peavy doesnt want to play for a dismal franchise like Milwaukee).

The Padres are crazy. Peavy isnt overpaid in the least. If they dont pay him who will they pay? They should tell the Cubs to take a hike.

Yea that would be unreal. If the Padres accepted a package built around that riff raff, i'd be irate if i was a Padres fan. May as well just keep Peavy then vs trading him for a package like that.

We really have very little to do with what the Cubs do in the offseason so why worry about it? You are overrating their rotation even if they get Peavy btw, if they replace Dempster of 2008 with Peavy they'll like not be any better than in 2008 unless Harden is healthy the full season.

Dont forget Sean Marshall, he has value, is mlb ready and is cheap. If the Cubs were to offer up Pie, Marshall and Golden Boy, that wouldnt be too far off from what the Brewers gave the Indians for Sabathia. If the Cubs offered up a couple of mid range A guys as well with potential, its a pretty nice deal for the Padres. They get a great defender in CF, a potential ace starter, and a very reliable #4 type of starter and prospects for Peavy.

I wouldnt call that robbery at all.

Are you kidding me? Marshall, Pie and Samar-however the hell you spell it? Pie is nothing....Marshall.....i wouldnt call him a top of the rotation guy. And the other guy is a reliever. SD can get way more for Peavy than that. If thats the best Chicago can offer, I'm not too concerned. Of course they got Ramirez, Lee and Harden for basically nothing, so you never know.

Maybe he read your Milwaukee rant on the political board.

Maybe....I betcha he'd get pissed trying to get from the east side to the west side at rush hour too!

We really have very little to do with what the Cubs do in the offseason so why worry about it? You are overrating their rotation even if they get Peavy btw, if they replace Dempster of 2008 with Peavy they'll like not be any better than in 2008 unless Harden is healthy the full season.
From what i've read at least, even if the Cubs get Peavy, they are confident they'll be able to keep Dempster also. I don't expect him to have a sub-3.00 ERA either next season, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me if he had another above average year. If his season this year had been more fluky than it was, i'd be more confident that it was mostly fluke. Dempster though was consistent pretty much all year, 4.55 was his worst ERA month, his strikeouts were high, and his homers given up were very low.

As for Peavy and his road stats, it's not like his splits have been huge every year since the Padres got to Petco Park. In 2005/2007 his road ERA numbers were 2.57/2.98, both of which are outstanding. In the same 2005/2007, Ben Sheets had quite a bit better numbers at home than on the road. Look home much better Suppan pitches at Miller Park. A lot of pitches just do better overall at home, regardless of the park dimensions for whatever reason. Hell, the Reds had a slightly better home ERA than road ERA the last two years even though they pitch in that bandbox. The Phillies pitched better at home in that tiny park.

Are you kidding me? Marshall, Pie and Samar-however the hell you spell it? Pie is nothing....Marshall.....i wouldnt call him a top of the rotation guy. And the other guy is a reliever. SD can get way more for Peavy than that. If thats the best Chicago can offer, I'm not too concerned. Of course they got Ramirez, Lee and Harden for basically nothing, so you never know.
I'd assume the Padres wouldn't take that Cubs offer, but it sure sounds like they are now dead set on trading Peavy, they aren't just fishing around to see what's being offered. Since Peavy has given the Padres a fairly limited number of teams he'll accept a trade to, they may not end up getting near what they hoped for in return. If the Braves won't budge on their vow to keep their most talented kids, the noose tightens on the Padres if they've now decided that keeping Peavy is no longer an option. Houston has no farm system. The Padres don't want to trade Peavy in the division to the Dodgers. I haven't heard of the Cardinals even making an offer. The Yankees don't seem inclined to trade Hughes or Joba, they'd rather trade to just buy Sabathia.

That could leave the Padres with a quickly shrinking list of options

does inman, garrison, thatcher get it done?

oh, wait....

I would think after last year those guys wouldn't even bring Linebrink again~

Thatcher was terrible, Garrison had a pretty mediocre season as a 21 year old in AA and Inman had 71 BBs in just 135.1 IP in his 2nd trip to AA.

does inman, garrison, thatcher get it done?

oh, wait....

I would think after last year those guys wouldn't even bring Linebrink again~

Thatcher was terrible, Garrison had a pretty mediocre season as a 21 year old in AA and Inman had 71 BBs in just 135.1 IP in his 2nd trip to AA.

Well put. Maybe people can finally put that trade to rest.

A close friend of mine, that used to work for TBS in Atlanta, just texted me and said the Braves are getting very close to getting Peavy.

And they also may trade Kelly Johnson and a prospect to St Louis for Ludwick if the Holliday trade fizzles.

A close friend of mine, that used to work for TBS in Atlanta, just texted me and said the Braves are getting very close to getting Peavy.

And they also may trade Kelly Johnson and a prospect to St Louis for Ludwick if the Holliday trade fizzles.

I'm all for that, I would much rather see Peavy in a Braves uniform then have to see him in a Cubs uniform. As much as I hate the Cubs adding Peavy to their rotation and re-signing Dempster would be just sick.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

The Cubs will win the division unless they do something really odd or have massive injury issues, so I just don't worry about them. Holliday isn't an upgrade over what Ludwick gave the Cardinals last year so unless they make other moves I don't see much changing.

The Cubs will win the division unless they do something really odd or have massive injury issues, so I just don't worry about them. Holliday isn't an upgrade over what Ludwick gave the Cardinals last year so unless they make other moves I don't see much changing.
Why is it a guarantee that the Cubs will win the division? Is the Cubs talent level really that much better? Lets wait and see what happens this off-season before we declare the Cubs division champs.

Why is it a guarantee that the Cubs will win the division? Is the Cubs talent level really that much better? Lets wait and see what happens this off-season before we declare the Cubs division champs.

They have the best team in the division, probably aren't really losing any players and have the most money. Sure they could not win it but I don't think I'm going to be 'worried' about them adding players because our most likely path to the playoffs is the wild card anyway. I'd much rather see Peavy go to the Cubs than to a team that will probably be in the wild card hunt like the Mets or Phillies.

Ennder you kept pointing out throughout the year that the Cubs had numerous players having career years. Now you're just assuming they'll take the division easily again?

They did have a number overperforming, they were not a 97 win team. They are certainly a 90 win team though and are one of the 3 best teams in the NL almost for sure. I'm not one who thinks winning the division is any different than taking the wild card so I'll always just pull for a playoff spot. I think overtaking the Cubs is less likely than other teams so I'm not all that worried about what the Cubs do.

Not like me being worried about anything will change anything anyway~

I'm not going to worry too much about the Cubs, either. Even if they get Peavy and re-sign Dempster, they're going to have to make cutbacks elsewhere -- by all reports, they won't be able to re-sign Kerry Wood in that scenario, and they'd have to look for a very cheap RF option instead of chasing another big bat. They'll have the best chance out of anyone in the division of making the playoffs regardless of whether they make the trade or not.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I still care about what the Cubs do in the offseason. The Brewers will play them more than a team from the west or the east so the worse the Cubs are the better the Brewers odds for a wild card. Sure small difference but still...
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Apparently, the updated rumors about Peavy have the Cubs offering Marshall, Kevin Hart, and Mike Fontenot, which is even more craptastic than we could've imagined. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution has the Braves offering Escobar, Gorkys Hernandez/Jordan Shafer, and Charlie Morton/JoJo Reyes. The Braves are still refusing to throw Tommy Hanson into the talks, which is probably the reason why the Padres are still holding out. A trade is expected by Thanksgiving.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Thankfully, Rosenthal is reporting this morning that the Braves could be on the verge of acquiring Peavy for a package that includes Yunel Escobar, Class A outfielder Gorkys Hernandez, either right- hander Charlie Morton or left-hander Jo-Jo Reyes and either reliever Blaine Boyer or one of two minor-league left-handers, one of whom is Jeff Locke.

That offer from the Cubs, is truly awful and if it happened the rest of the NL Central should protest (not that that is really an option).

Archived