Brewer Fanatic

Jake Peavy

Nobody is high on Gwynn. He might be a secondary piece, but that's at best. At this point there is plenty of proof that he can't hit.

TGJ, Lucroy and Green won't get it done. They need an A prospect in there, maybe too. I don't see how they get Peavy without giving up at least one of Jeffress, Gamel or Escobar, and maybe two.

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would maybe be willing to part with Gamel then. The way he cooled off after LaPorta left last year kind of concerns me.

He cooled off because he had elbow tendinitis and played through it.

endaround wrote:

Peavy is better than Parra. That's an upgrade not creating a hole.
I can see where some people think it creates a hole though. If you trade Parra for Peavy you're still going to have a downgrade going from Parra to McClung or Villanueva.

Some team is going to break the bank to trade for Peavy and then be disappointed in him outside of Petco and with injury problems. I sure hope it isn't the Brewers.

Always be careful with NL West pitchers. They play half their games in pitchers parks and the only real tough offense they ever face within the division is Colorado when in Coors.

I mentioned this before, but I think the Brewers should stay away from Peavy, especially if he expects to have his contract extended/changed to add more year and/or money while instituting a full no-trade clause. The Padres are wise to investigate a trade with the 5 teams Peavy is open to being moved to first, because his trade value isn't going to be as great if a team that he isn't open to being traded to has to re-structure his contract.

I think its a risk, but if its available you have to take it. It'd be one thing if we had some decent pitching prospects coming up in the next year or two, but we dont. Only Jeffress will be close to a #1, and he still has a long way to go with his control. Peavy has been a really good pitcher for a long time. I like consistancy. The Brewers are not going to be a major player in the FA market with pitching. We dont need another Suppan type .500 pitcher with a 4.5 ERA. We need someone who will win us 15-20 games.

Paul I think Jeffress is destined to be a closer, so to rely on him as a future ace might not be the wisest thing. I dont think he is ever going to get his control to the point where he can be your #1.

As for Peavy, yes he has a 5 team wish list and the Brewers are not on it, so the Brewers will probably not pursue him. If they were to pursue him it would probably take Hardy and some of our top prospects destined for AA this year, or a big prospect deal involving Gamel at the very least.

His numbers away from Petco dont scare me at all. He is one DL trip away from being the kind of horse that Sabathia was this year for the Brewers, he is definitely worth the pursuit if he is available to the Brewers, as well as the price.

I wouldnt go as far as to say he's going to be a closer. While his control still isnt where it needs to be, he did make improvements this year. Beside, if he cant throw strikes closer is the last place you want him.

If there was anyway we could get Peavy without trading Parra, Gallardo or Jeffress, even if it means 3 of your best position player prospects, i'd be estatic.

ESPN reports, San Diego GM Kevin Towers has scheduled sit-downs with the Brewers, Cardinals and Cubs, at the GM meetings.
That is interesting. I'm wondering if Melvin is moving forward in anticipation that CC is not going to sign with the Brewers. I don't see Peavy getting traded until the winter meetings though. I believe that Towers is going to wait for Sabathia to sign and then go from there.

I literally can't fathom how much it would take to get Peavy given his awesome contract. Maybe the injury issue will offer a little discount but it seems like the talks would start with Jeffress and Salome with some more good talent included. I wonder if Jeffress, Salome, Braddock and TGR could get us Peavy and Heath Bell? I don't know if they are looking for MLB ready talent, I guess I am assuming they are looking at rebuilding. If they are looking at MLB caliber perhaps we could substitute Weeks or Hart for Salome and Braddock. Jeffress, Weeks, and TGJ for Peavy and Bell?

I doubt the Pads would want Gamel as a centerpiece since they already have Headley and Kouzmanoff, two hitters that can play third base and do so poorly just like Gamel. I would think Escobar or Jeffress, probably Escobar would have to be dealt. I would be hesitant to adding Peavy. The contract is good if he remains healthy and he always seems to be a guy nursing a problem with his arm, although thus far nothing major. It also concerns me, as others have noted, his home/road splits. From 2005-07 his road ERA was 3.73 and last year was 4.28, fortunately for him he has pitched 105 more innings the past 4 seasons at home than on the road to help his overall numbers look that much better.

If we acquire Peavy we will regret it. I would not be shocked if a Peavy trade ended up costing Melvin his job. Their are glaring signs to stay away from this guy. Melvin is a fool if he ignores them. I mean how many pitchers have looked great in SanDiego when they stunk elswere? The guys home/road splits should tell you more then you need to know. Unless SanDiego is willing to give him away, which I doubt...we should not touch this guy w/ a 10' pole.

In Milwaukee I guess Peavy would give us a low 4 ERA and 10-13 wins at best. What are you willing to pay for that kind of production? He's got plenty of milleage on that 28 year old arm. He's averaged about 200 innings the past 6 years.

I'm not sure why we'd even bother talking to SanDeigo anyway. What do we have they'd even want? Theyv'e got a 1st basemen every bit as good as Prince. Hart and Gamel maybe? They need OF's. They've got a solid SS in Greene. All indications are that Peavy has no interest in pitching for us.

They've got a solid SS in Greene.
I'm sorry but this is not at all true. Greene is not a good SS in any sense. Decrease in OBP, Average, and Walks.

http://www.fangraphs.com/graphs/1826_SS_season_full_1_20080930.png

http://www.fangraphs.com/graphs/1826_SS_season_full_0_20080930.png

http://www.fangraphs.com/graphs/1826_SS_season_full_3_20080930.png

http://www.fangraphs.com/graphs/1826_SS_season_full_5_20080930.png

He's got plenty of milleage on that 28 year old arm. He's averaged about 200 innings the past 6 years.

Sabathia also has a 28 year old arm, but has averaged 200 innings over the last 8 years, including an average of 247 the last 2 seasons. If mileage is a concern regarding Peavy, it should also be one with regards to resigning Sabathia as well.

Just to play devil's advocate for Khalil Green for a moment:

Career home splits: .225/.289/.369

Career away splits: .270/.318/.484

Now Milwaukee's primary offensive need is OBP, and Green is a downgrade from Hardy there. He's also fairly mediocre in the field. He's a legit downgrade overall from Hardy. However, he's been a pretty decent shortstop away from Petco over the course of his career.

How crazy would it be for all of us who suffered through the lean years to see the Brewers acquire both 2007 Cy Young winners within a year (and not because they're reclamation projects expected to miss the year recovering from TJ)? That there's even a 5% chance of this happening makes it so much more fun to be a Brewerfan nowadays.

That said, I can't see bidding not being extremely competitive unless the teams on his list have irrationally tepid interest and the only other team he wants to go to is Milwaukee. Though it'd be sweet enough to be worth losing a few more solid minor leaguers, I just don't want to see us completely clear out what has been our lifeblood to make it happen.

If the Padres would be willing to take Hart, Weeks and an arm for Peavy, I'd do it. I just don't think I'd trade Parra to do it....but.....maybe I would.

We need two left handed bats in this lineup. With the FA's available, we could sign someone to a 1 or two year Gagne type of deal.

Even though it is interesting to talk about trading for Peavy it looks as though Melvin is not going to be trading for Peavy.

Trade talk: Melvin said reports that he is engaged in trade talks with San Diego about right-hander Jake Peavy are incorrect. "They're looking for young pitching," said Melvin. "That's one thing I can't do. I'm not going to trade a (Yovani) Gallardo or (Manny) Parra."

From the MJS.

Archived