Brewer Fanatic

Jake Peavy

More information on Peavy Buster Olney's Blog (you need to be an ESPN subscriber) and The San Diego Union-Tribune both state that Peavy would accept a trade to a team that is not on his 5 team list but the team would have to excercise the 22m option or increase the buyout in 2013. Peavy would also get a full no trade clause if dealt to a team not on the list.

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we can get Giles and Peavy for Escobar, Hart, and Jeffress, i'd do it in a heartbeat. I'm still not convinced Jeffress is going to meet his potential (think Nick Neugebauer). I don't know, maybe its just our complete lack of developing HS pitchers with bigtime fastballs (JM Gold, Neugebauer, Jones, Rogers, etc), but I'd rather take 4 years of Peavy, even at his price, then to hope Jeffress developes. The 6 more high picks again this year will go a long way in restocking our system, but even giving up Escobar and Jeffress leaves quite a few prospects (Gamel, Green, Cain, Salome, Lucroy, Gillespie, Lawrie). I'd do it in a heartbeat, and throw in a mid level prospect if necessary. Giles would be a very underated part to the deal.

CNNSI is reporting that the Braves are leading the chase right now. My question is why? I dont know anything about their system, but i have a hard time believing we cant match or exceed what they offer. Starting pitching is a blaring need, and you have a chance to get one of the best pitchers in the game for 4 years at a fairly reasonable price. It would turn your rotation from a liability to a strength, and allow your to focus your offseason on fixing the offseason and bullpen.

Im willing to part with both Jeffress and Escobar to get Peavy. And we'd still have a solid core of position prospects to build around PLUS possibly 6 picks in the first 2 rounds next year.

The Braves could keep Jurrjens and offer Yunel Escobar, Tommy Hanson, Jordan Schafer and Jason Heyward. They probably won't offer that much, but they could make an offer that would be very tough to beat.

I just don't see the Braves as a good fit. Yes, they have the pieces in place to make the deal. However, trading those pieces away (especially Jurrjens and/or Escobar) would be a big mistake. They're trying to build a young, competitive team and those are some of the key components.

I just don't buy that adding Peavy is going to help them improve. Yes, they'll have one of the top pitchers in the league, but they're stunting their own progress of rebuilding (IMO). I also don't really see too many adequate replacements for someone like Escobar (though to be honsest, I didn't look all tha thard). Granted, a lot can happen in 4 years but it just doesn't make much sense to me.

Peavy is the type of player that puts you over the tops, moves you from 85-90 wins to a championship caliber team, I don't think it takes you from a 72 win team to a playoff team.

I keep seeing this notion about Parra being a 2 best case, but more likely a 3 and I have to ask based on what? How many lefties out there can legitimately run the ball up there in the mid 90s? Instead of throwing every breaking ball known to man he'd probably better served narrowing it down to 2 and refining those 2 pitches. However there is no way his physical talent is that of a 3 pitcher... maybe he's soft mentally, but I'm not ready to jump on that bandwagon after 1 year.

Finally trading the organization's top pitching prospects behind Yo creates a void which vitually ensures the 3-5 spots are pitchers no better than Dave Bush for the next 2 years, maybe 3. Dumping Parra/Jeffress would leave Periard/Braddock and while anyone who follows the minor league side knows I'm personally high on those 2 kids, neither is a sure thing, nor is Jeffress. I'd like options with higher ceilings and miniscule contracts instead of Bush, Suppan, Suppanesque FA in 2010. Acquiring Peavy and another FA pitcher basically means that Peavy, Suppan, FA pitcher would account for roughly $32 million in 2009... Cameron's option would make it $42... meaning half of the payroll would be eaten up by 4 players, 3 of which are roughly league average, which to me isn't a very good way to construct a ball club.

I just dont see parra as a #1 or an ace someday, i think he's potentially a very good, but not great pitcher. That's just my opinion, and I'd love to be wrong. My main point was that too many people are making Parra sound untouchable, when replacing him with Peavy would substantially improve the pitching staff next year, and possibly for a few years. I agree Parra and Jeffress would probably be too much (I said 50/50 before, but ive changed), but my point was Jake Peavy is a cy young caliber pitcher, and if you have a chance to acquire a guy like that you have to explore it, even if it means giving up one of your top young pitchers. You know what you have with Jake Peavy, you might know what you have with Parra and Jeffress (Parra moreso). That said, I dont think the brewers are going to be in the discussion to pick him up, so its a pretty moot point.

Parra is young and cheap. He has also has terrific stuff. He needs to nibble a little less and go after hitters more, but I think he is solid 2 type guy with potential to be a 1. I think the smart money is to build around Manny and Yo and try to get another top end guy who is young in a trade. Our rotation would be set up well for a while and we would not be breaking the bank. If we could get a young talented arm in a trade ala the Matt Garza one that would be terrific.

I don't know why, but I have this gut feeling that the Brewers are going to be serious players in the Jake Peavey sweepstakes. I'm still not convinced that he's going to be traded, but I really think the Brewers will ultimately be active in talks with the Padres.
Follow me on Twitter

Has there been any indication at all so far that Peavy would be willing to waive his NTC to come to Milwaukee? It seems like he would (playoff contender, young nucleus, not located in a large city, NL team), but I haven't seen anything linking the Brewers to the list of teams he'd accept a trade to. Until then, I'm trying not to get too excited. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Has there been any indication at all so far that Peavy would be willing to waive his NTC to come to Milwaukee? It seems like he would (playoff contender, young nucleus, not located in a large city, NL team), but I haven't seen anything linking the Brewers to the list of teams he'd accept a trade to. Until then, I'm trying not to get too excited. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

His agent said he would be willing to go to other cities (outside the five he listed) if he could get some additional compensation (having his option exercised, making the buyout more money etc.)

Yes there is an indication that he would come here. The Brewers would just have to give Peavy a full no trade clause and either increase the buyout option in 2013 or pickup the option in 2013.

Yes there is an indication that he would come here. The Brewers would just have to give Peavy a full no trade clause and either increase the buyout option in 2013 or pickup the option in 2013.

I'm really against no-trade clauses. It takes way too much power away from the team, as I'm guessing Towers is going to find out this offseason when he finds it more difficult to move Peavy than he thought it would. I know Peavy was initially viewed as a market bargain since he is signed for so long, but guaranteeing his 2013 deal and making him nearly impossible to trade is not a good combination for a team like Milwaukee. His no-trade clause allows him to dictate these types of things before he even is on the move.

The one thing that plays into the Brewers favor is that they do remain one of the teams out there with the chips at their disposal to try and make this happen. If the Braves are balking (which is more likely posturing), the team everyone thinks matches up perfectly with the Padres, who else fits? Of the other teams Peavy prefers, the Cardinals don't have the ammo if they aren't willing to move Rasmus, the Astros quite simply don't have the ammo at all. I'm not sure how the Cubs would make that happen, although the Dodgers probably could.

While an American League club, the Rangers would really match up well with the Padres, with pitching prospects, a talented young SS prospect (Elvis Andrus) and a pair of CF prospects (Julio Borbon, Engel Beltre) to dangle.

I read a rumor that Atlanta may be backing off of SD's demands. I still think the Brewers should go after him, but if the trade involves Parra then forget it. Trading Parra would just create the same hole you are filling by acquiring Peavy. I'd say a package of Jeffress, Hardy, Lucroy/Salome and a guy like Periard or Braddock. Is that enough?

Peavy is better than Parra. That's an upgrade not creating a hole. Including Hardy (ignoring that SD won't want him) is hugely overpaying in that package.
Yeah, I agree.

I really don't understand why people keep suggesting we trade Hardy. I know Escobar is ready defensively, but the drop in offense would be significant.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Obviously Peavy is better than Parra. But when you lost your two best pitchers, is trading your second best remaining pitcher really the way to go? Either way, a back end of Bush, Suppan and McClung/Villanueva isnt going to cut it, it doesnt matter if you have CC AND Peavy.

I think the main idea behind trading Hardy as opposed to Escobar is the money. Hardy is due for a huge raise soon. Personally if there is anyway to keep them both i'd do it, and move Hardy to 3rd. I just heard the rumor was that SD wanted a shortstop.

I think SD wants prospects only in a deal. I think they are also always very high on TGJ. Trade them TGJ, La Croix, and Taylor Green for Peavey. That is if we lose CC. If we lose him we need a Peavy like ace and we won't get it in free agency. Plus he is relatively affordable through 2013. Rotation or Peavy, Yo, Parra, Bush, Suppan wouldn't be bad if we fixed the bullpen issues.

Archived