Brewer Fanatic

Jake Peavy

Peavy names 5 teams he'd be willing to waive his no-trade clause for...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3649201

Braves, Cardinals, Astros, Dodgers, and Cubs. The article also states that the Padres are reaching out to other teams since they don't appear to be close to deals with any of those teams.

I am not Shea Vucinich

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll echo that the most beneficial scenario for the Brewers might be trading Prince to a team like the Rays, sending Cain to San Diego, and getting Peavy whilst the Rays send pitching to the Padres. Giving up Prince is obviously huge, but I'm not sure how much more you can gut the farm system. San Diego wouldn't have any interest in Prince for Peavy, so a third team would have to be involved.

And as those types of deals are not very common, the chances of it happening are only slightly larger than the Brewers' chances of still winning the World Series this year.

Brewers get Headley and Peavy

Padres get Weeks, Parra, Gamel, and Salome

The Brewers fill their third base void with the switch hitting Headley. Peavy leads us into the future with his heavy stuff. He would be the ideal pitcher to shut down the right handed heavy Cubs.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
From what I've read on Kouzmanoff is that he's a mediocre third baseman - at best. From watching him, which is limited to about 6-7 games - he's been okay. Made some nice plays, but he didn't show much range to me and had a trouble getting the ball out of the glove on occassion. Again, that's limited games.

In case anyone is scared off thinking he pitched only well in Petco.

Home: 2.51

Away: 2.57

Cherry pick much? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif Let's try and be objective about this:

Year: home/away

2006: 3.75/4.57

2007: 2.51/2.57

2008: 1.75/4.28

Over the last 3 years, he's had a FIPs of 3.51, 2.84! and 3.6. What's a fair projection... 3.5 ERA? His contract is certainly reasonable ($16.2 mil/year for 5 years). What is his likely production really worth? $18 mil/year? $20 mil/year? What kind of prospects is that difference worth?

That's the way we need to look at this. Projected worth - current contract = value in trade.

I was just coming to post what logan just said. How does trading 2 of our best arms for 1 arm make the Brewers a better team? The one thing the entire system lacks at this moment is top of the rotation pitching talent, so we're going to trade Parra and Jeffress for Peavy? I guess maybe some of our bats will convert and become pitchers? I'm sorry I just think trading pitching from a system that doesn't produce much for pitching is a horrible idea and a totally backwards way to assemble a capable roster. Trading away Parra and Jeffress essentially cements players no better than Bush in the 3 through 5 spots in the rotation for the next 3 years. While Peavy's contract is very reasonable this year and next, it begins to escalate rapidly... emptying the system of the top 2 pitchers behind Yo means there's no adequate replacements in case of injury or poor performance, and virtually ensures wasting more money on FA pitching. I just don't see how giving up 2 MLB players and a top prospect is good value for 30 games a year.

I could live with a 3 way trade dumping Fielder for Peavy, but I don't think that's realistic, and I don't see how the Brewers match up with San Diego outside of a 3 way deal. If the the Rays are involved why not try to pull one of their stud pitchers and Neimann directly? Is the drop off from a Yo type pitcher to Peavy worth that much? Rluz takes quite a bit of crap about his 2 game theory when Sabathia was acquired, but historically that was pretty accurate. How many wins would be giving up from 3 players to acquire 2 or 3 more wins dropping from a Peavy to a Shields/Santana/whomever? Giving up 6 wins to acquire 3 wins doesn't seem like good value, it appears to be a net loss to me. I have no idea what the exact numbers would be without knowing the players involved, but I'm fairly confident that 6 wins a year is a pretty conservative estimate.

I wasn't for acquiring Sabathia and my opinion on big name pitchers hasn't changed now that Peavy is available, they are way too expensive both in the relative cost to acquire them and the cost of their contracts to be yearly targets of the Brewers. Continually giving up top talent is the surest way to shorten the window, the Brewers simply will not be able to afford to sign all of their young players to long term contracts and will need a yearly influx of cheap talent to remain competitive.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I totally agree with TheCrew07. The Brewers lack an adequate number of starters for 09. It makes no sense to trade Parra and Jeffress for Peavy. I don't think Jeffress will start a game for the Brewers next year but it could happen. The Brewers will have to add starters through free agency or trades. I would concentrate on trading Fielder for pitching not Hardy.

First, if the Brewers trade Gallardo, what sense does that make? If Melvin swung that deal, I think I'd become a Cubs fan.

Second, why include Parra in the deal? We've gotten to see Manny Parra for 1 1/2 seasons and he has shown glimpse's of what type of pitcher he could be. We've kept Dave Bush around longer and he hasn't gotten any better. I think the Brewers should give Parra the same chance.

Third, I love the 3 team trade idea with Tampa Bay. Obviously, being a Brewer fan I'm bias, but I think that would be a great deal for The Crew.

Parra, Jeffress, Cain and Lucroy or Salome would probably be the minimum we could offer and expect to have a chance. It would likely need to be more. The names I'm seeing rumoured from "Atlanta include Jurrjens, Hanson, Flowers, Schafer and Heyward. Not necessarily all in one deal but personally I'd take Jurrjens and Hanson any day of the week over Parra and Jeffress. Jurrjens is a better pitcher and has more long term upside than Parra and Hanson is closer to being in the majors and doesn't have a history like Jeffress.

He hasnt been injured for years. He wore down last season because of the number of innings pitched, but was healthy otherwise. I dont get the idea of trading Parra because then you don't really solve your pitching problem. Peavy can win 20 games next year but if our 3-4-5 consists of Bush, Suppan, and McClung, we arent making the palyoffs. Give them Jeffress if need be, we arent developing any pitching anyway but in 3 years we'll still have Peavy, Gallardo, and Parra, and maybe we can develop someone from this past draft like Odorizzi, Lintz or Frederickson or next draft when we will also possibly have 5 or 6 high draft choices.

Parra, Jeffress, Cain, and Lucroy are way too much to give up. I'm not disagreeing with your assessment that that's what'll it take, but we cant afford to do that, IMO. Not only do you we give up our current #2, we also give up the only decent pitching prospects at the upper levels. An injury to Gallardo or Peavy would absolutely decimate us. I'd give up Jeffess, Gillespie, Brewer and Zach Braddock, and I know that wouldnt be enough. Maybe Dave Bush if they want him.

From the Boston Gobe

The Braves are pushing hard to land San Diego ace Jake Peavy (Atlanta shortstop Yunel Escobar would have to be included in a deal), but if you're looking for a sleeper for Peavy, a few people are keeping their eye on Milwaukee, which will likely lose CC Sabathia, and possibly the oft-injured Ben Sheets. Milwaukee makes sense, considering the Padres want a shortstop and the Brewers would move J.J. Hardy in the right situation. Peavy has indicated he would prefer to pitch in the National League and can control things with his no-trade clause. He's listing Atlanta, Houston, St. Louis, Los Angeles, and Chicago as preferences, but Milwaukee wouldn't be a hard sell. This hasn't stopped the Yankees from being involved, and it may not stop the Red Sox from making inquiries.

Brewers. Their fear would be that Peavy could turn into another Ben Sheets, suffering frequent injuries while earning $48 million from 2010 to '12. A Rickie Weeks-J.J. Hardy offer would snap the Padres to attention - look ma, a new middle infield! - but the Brewers are not going to part with their best young pitchers, righty Yovani Gallardo and lefty Manny Parra.

From Ken Rosenthal's article today.

I'm not sure the Padres would want Weeks or Hardy. But they could sign Hardy to an extension with the money that Peavy was making. I wouldn't like this deal at all since it would force us to sign Durham and have Escobar playing. Plus Jeffress would probably have to be put in the deal also and if not Jeffress Braddock would be in the deal.

Rosenthal also confirms that the Astros don't really have a chance at getting Peavy the Astros just don't have the prospects to get the deal done.

Archived