Brewer Fanatic

Jake Peavy

Doesn't San Diego need a SS too though? Escobar is a top notch prospect, Jeffress still has potential to be a #1 starter. I think a lot would depend on how their scouts view him. You'd probably have to throw in another pitcher or two (like Braddock, Scarpetta, Anundson), but I think its a stretch to say we don't have the pieces to get Peavy. The biggest obstacle would be to get Peavy to accept a trade here. If he does I'm sure something could be worked out.

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Im souring on acquiring Peavy. Id be more for DeRosa and Cliff Lee at this point.

I agree (well, of course, I started that other thread on this very idea). I just like the idea of getting a guy like Lee who is a great pitcher and would be more than a rental, but at the same time we wouldn't be tied to for several years to come.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Even though I think I'd rather have someone else besides Peavy, the Brewers do have an advantage in getting him to revoke the no-trade clause if we can reach a deal with the Padres. And that is having Cameron, Hoffman & Gerut on the team. They've all played with Peavy and it seems that at least Cam and Hoff really enjoy playing here in MKE. Gerut will probably enjoy his time here as well. Cam helped recruit Hoffman here. I think that both of them will do the same with Peavy if the Brewer are seriously thinking about making a move on him.

I just hope we don't find ourselves in a bidding war against Chicago for him. Fortunately, I think Doug is too good a GM for that.

I'd love to get into a bidding war and lose it. I mean, if we weren't going to get him anyway, and he was likely to go to the Cubs why not make them pay more dearly for him. I'd love it if Melvin could drive up the price and and then exit stage left. I don't mean that in a mean spirited way. Since we'll never be able to compete with the Cubs in terms of Free Agent dollars, it would be nice to keep an advantage in the farm system.

The Padres would absolutely love getting Escobar as they have very little in the way of MI prospects. I don't think the deal is only on the table for major league ready pitching, that is just what they would prefer.

If I were the Brewers, I'd try to shape this without giving up Gamel. Escobar is unlikely, but possible. I'm a huge supporter of Manny Parra, but I'd give up Parra in a deal for Peavy. Parra, Jeffress, and Escobar?

I wouldn't give up Parra. I know he's struggling this season, but we are still counting on him to be the backbone of our rotation for years to come. Someone said a few posts back that they have little for MI prospects? Perhaps Irabarren would intrigue them as well? He's never really been given a shot. Though his value certainly doesn't match what Escobar's is, he is a player SD could stick at 2nd right away. How abour Jeffress, Escobar, Irabarren, and a younger pitcher like maybe Frederickson?

Paul253, you just summed up one of my major pet peeves with fans on this board. "Giving up on Parra?" I'd be trading him for one of the top 3-5 pitchers in the NL. Just because we're not keeping someone in a trade does not mean we're giving up on them. Remember, all players are assets. Yes we have some weird emotional attachment as Brewerfan.net users. But that's not giving up

Paul253, you just summed up one of my major pet peeves with fans on this board. "Giving up on Parra?" I'd be trading him for one of the top 3-5 pitchers in the NL. Just because we're not keeping someone in a trade does not mean we're giving up on them. Remember, all players are assets. Yes we have some weird emotional attachment as Brewerfan.net users. But that's not giving up
He said "give up" not "give up on". I think he was just talking about including Parra in a trade.

I would give up Parra for Peavy since Peavy is special and Parra might become quite good, but I doubt he'll ever have Peavy's consistent dominance.

That said, the ideal would be to trade high ceiling prospects so that we have a stronger core of major league ready championship caliber players.

If I'm the Padres, I want Parra, Escobar, and one more prospect....the other prospect isn't going to be elite, but one with a legit shot at reaching the majors...most likely a pitcher.

I don't see that third player being Jeffress at this point, for multiple reasons. For the Brewers, I doubt they're ready to include him in the same deal with Parra...and for SD, this is a kid with issues in his past, and garbage numbers so far this year....if you're getting Parra and Escobar too, why not take a chance on a solid arm at the A+ level?

Peavy's no-trade obviously limits the Padres' bargaining power somewhat....if it was as simple as getting the highest bid, Peavy would have been traded months ago.

Petco has made Peavy look legendary, outside of Petco he's been above average, but by no means great.

It would be a shame to overpay for him, even if he is an upgrade over our starters.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

If I'm the Padres, I want Parra, Escobar, and one more prospect....the other prospect isn't going to be elite, but one with a legit shot at reaching the majors...most likely a pitcher.

I don't see that third player being Jeffress at this point, for multiple reasons. For the Brewers, I doubt they're ready to include him in the same deal with Parra...and for SD, this is a kid with issues in his past, and garbage numbers so far this year....if you're getting Parra and Escobar too, why not take a chance on a solid arm at the A+ level?

Peavy's no-trade obviously limits the Padres' bargaining power somewhat....if it was as simple as getting the highest bid, Peavy would have been traded months ago.

I would go with Iribarren, Parra, Brewer, and Braddock/Nieves with a player to be named later (Dykstra, Gindl, Schafer). I don't see the Brewers parting with Escobar especially with Hardy being in question. Hardy's back is starting to give me some worries with the report that he has had back spasms in the off season that doesn't sound to good for the future for Hardy. If the Brewers are concerned about Hardy not signing long term with the Brewers I wonder how they feel about Hardy and his back. I believe Escobar will be taken off the table for a concern of not having a replacement if Hardy walks or if his back starts to become a bigger problem.

I'm not sure if this would be enough or if it would be to much for Peavy. When looking at the contract size and the type of players the Brewers would have to give up to get Peavy I'm not sure it would be worth it to trade for him. If Peavy gets hurt or doesn't perform you could have a Jeff Suppan situation but it would be about ten times worse.

Dykstra and Brewer are the wild card here if they show their potential they would easily out shine Parra and Braddock/Nieves. I don't believe Nieves is really a trade chip I just couldn't think of anyone else the Brewers would probably put in the deal. Braddock can't be considered as a main piece in a trade only because he has been injured. What the Padres get in return for trading away Peavy to the Brewers in my hypothetical trade is a player who can come in and play right away in Iribarren, a starting pitcher who would thrive in Petco, and two question marks in Brewer and Braddock. Both Braddock and Brewer and even Dykstra if the Padres would select him in the player to be named later would be the future at San Diego obviously not all of them will pan out and there will be a dud in one of the three or two. This is the deal I would make with the Padres. This would strengthen the Brewers on a whole at the major league level while not creating as big of a whole in the farm system.

This deal is about equal talent wise maybe more so than the White Sox deal.

The Padres are gonna ask for a decent haul in return with two good pitching prospects and like someone else said a positional player with a decent chance of making the big leagues plus a low level prospect with some upside so this is what I came up with.

Manny Parra

Jeremy Jeffress

Cole Gillespie or Caleb Gindl

Brent Brewer

for Peavy

Its pretty pricey but I think its more than fair.

@WiscoSportsNut

He said "give up" not "give up on". I think he was just talking about including Parra in a trade.

Thanks BrewCrew....I didn't mean give up on, I meant I wouldn't include him in a deal. If we lose Parra and Looper at the end of the year, we're probably going to have to overpay for an average at best starter again next year.

Thanks BrewCrew....I didn't mean give up on, I meant I wouldn't include him in a deal. If we lose Parra and Looper at the end of the year, we're probably going to have to overpay for an average at best starter again next year.

I'm confused...why would they be losing Parra at the end of the year? Also they have a team option on looper for next season, at least according to the contract info on this site.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Trading for Peavy would be beyond risky for this franchise. Peavys's mechanics are not exactly sound so you really have to worry about the potential for injury which would kill us. If we trade several young studs for him and he does get hurt we are in big trouble. He will be taking up too much of our payroll and is too big of a risk for us to make a deal like this.

Yes Peavy is very good but he is not great outside of Petco and his mechanics suggest problems in the future. For those reasons I would stay away from this deal unless it was at a deep discount which I dont see happening.

I'm not sure if the payroll concerns are that legitimate. A lot of payroll will be coming off this year and next year. Right now the team only has about $45 million commited next season, and about $32 million in 2011. I realize arby cases will make those numbers go up, but I think if the team wanted to, they could afford the $15 million or so per year for Peavy.

I do get the injury concerns, as he's getting older. I also think he isn't quite as good as some make him out to be. But man, a Peavy/Gallardo combo at the top of the rotation would be huge, at least in the short term.

I don't see that Peavey is any more of a risk than any sort of pitcher, and since he's over 26 he's about as low of an injury risk over the next 3 years or so as any pitcher. If his mechanics were that problematic that they truly were causing an increased injury risk odds are pretty good it would have happened already. It is very hard to put a staff together every single year if you don't have some pitchers under control for multiple years. Over the course of Milwaukees current competitive group we are highly unlikely to get an ace on the free agent market. That leaves development and trades. Development is always a crapshoot and right now there are some guys who could, but all of them are at least 2 years away (Jeffress, Braddock, Scarpetta) and none is exactly a lock. It is going to be much easier for the team to be competitive every year for the next 3 years or so if they have invested in the right core of a pitching staff and a couple of line-up studs that are supplemented from the farm system. Other competitive scenarios are possible, but I see a lot of them being more fraught with year to year variation. Gallardo and Peavy at the top plus Parra is a group you can count on enough to supplement the back end with other finds (like a Looper or Bush) that don't over commit. If this was a 20+ million a year contract it's one thing, but this is at worst a fair market value on a year to year basis. Make one good trade and then you have a number of years of flexibility where you can play mix and match the 1st, C, OF, and 2B around Braun and Gamel.

This was very surprising when I read it in the paper this morning.

Haudricourt has absolutely HATED all of the Peavy talk and shut it down whenever he has gotten a chance. And, in spite of popular opinion, Melvin is very honest with Haudricourt. I HIGHLY doubt Haudricourt just wrote that article based on the White Sox trade falling through.

I would imagine at the very least Melvin told him they were exploring the option. That is a LONG ways from completing a trade - but I would bet phone calls have been exchanged.

Archived