Brewer Fanatic

Jake Peavy

Where the Brewers have some strength in regards to a potential trade is that if they are still in contention come mid-summer and decide to acquire another SP, there is likely to be more than just Jake Peavy on the market. For all we know, someone like Roy Halladay or Roy Oswalt could also be available. With the way the economy is, a lot of teams could be looking to slash payroll, making it a "buyer's market."
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am 100% okay with him going to the White Sox. I never thought we would get him, I just hoped. That means he wont be with the Cubs or any other NL team. This would be terrific news for the Crew. It is nice we have not played San Diego yet too, so we would not have to face him then.

If we know what the package is this is the time to throw our hat in the ring and see how bad he wants to stay in the NL. I just heard on ESPN that Beckham is NOT a part of the package.
Beckham would have to be a PTBNL because he was drafted last year if I am correct. Apparently, Clayton Richard and Aaron Poreda are involved. I know very little about either guy.

Poreda and Richard, both LHP, were the #2 and 3 prospects in the Sox system according to BA. Poreda has a bigtime fastball, working on the rest...has looked good at AA this year and could pitch in the majors this year...could be a top of the rotation guy, or a power reliever, or of course a complete bust. Richard is sort of the opposite...sinkerballer who tops out around 90, is probably a middle to back of the rotation guy. Poreda's in AA, Richard has a lot of major league time. That's where the Brewers don't match up, sadly...we don't have pitchers who are that advanced, which is apparently what SD has been looking for in a Peavy deal.

Still, that package doesn't seem huge if Beckham is not in there. I think I'd rather have a premium bat in there rather than four uncertain pitchers, were I SD...Peavy is an incredibly valuable pitcher. His money doesn't seem excessive to me, but we may be seeing a phase of highly conservative payroll decisions while the economy is so sour.

"The Padres ace used his no-trade clause to block a potential trade that would have sent the All-Star right-hander to the White Sox in a 4-for-1 deal, which reportedly included Chicago's top pitching prospects in Aaron Poreda and Clayton Richard."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090521&content_id=4856804&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

I didn't look through the whole thread, but put me in with the crowd willing to give Escobar and Jeffress for Peavey (if there isn't a crowd I'm starting one). The way the offense is clicking, this and next are the years to make a big push.

Throw in Hall and eat a couple million of salary even. I wanted to say Suppan, but we'd be eating more than a couple million, then.

I didn't look through the whole thread, but put me in with the crowd willing to give Escobar and Jeffress for Peavey (if there isn't a crowd

Not picking on you because you aren't the only one that keeps posting stuff like this but are people not paying attention to the reported deals? The Padres were getting a young MLB ready pitcher and a top prospect who was tearing up AA, both of which were LH. We have no comparable prospects to give up, Jeffress isn't going to cut it, and Melvin isn't trading Parra or Yo for Peavy.

We do not have the pieces in place to get Peavy and we never have. We need to be able to trade to hitting for pitching, which means we're dealing with organizations that have surplus pitching and need hitting, and that's a very short list.

A rental player deal could possibly work, but then we'd have traded away at least 4 top 10 prospects (in the system according to BA) for 1 combined year of MLB service between Sabathia and whomever. I don't see the value in the team managing it's assets that way.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

You don't believe Escobar, Jeffress, and another 1-2 lower level pitching prospects for Peavy would be accepted by the Padres? I think they would take that. It's more a matter of whether or not the Brewers want to lose all their good pitching prospects for him. I'm not certain they have any good pitching prospects anyways.

The Brewers would probably have to give up Parra, Jeffress, Escobar, and maybe one or two others to make it happen with San Diego.

I'd rather see them make a bit smaller deal for someone like Cliff Lee (someone with lower salary on a shorter term contract). I think Peavy won't be as good away from Petco.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I would hope that Doug Melvin isn't dumb enough to take on that contract. That would be a franchise crippler for years to come.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

SD isn't looking for position players, they are looking for pitching, it's that simple. I don't see DM saying, "Well I know you want MLB pitching and a top pitching prospect, but here take Escobar instead" and a deal getting done. Each time has a long term plan/goals and the needs have to match up for a deal to be made. Jeffress doesn't have much value for a team looking to have solutions in the near future, much to the dismay of many of us he just hasn't been able to locate his pitches and recently was demoted to BC. I love his arm, but his command is was questionable at best.

We have no starting pitching in the class that SD is looking for outside of Yo and Parra, and they aren't going anywhere.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Pertaining to trading for Lee, I worry you'd be asked to pay for 'Cliff Lee the 2008 AL Cy Young Winner', not just the very solid pitcher Cliff Lee.

Lee has been pitching pretty well this year after a slow start. ERA under 3, FIP just over 3.

Archived