Brewer Fanatic

Jake Peavy

That's why I'd be reluctant to trade for Halladay considering how much we'd have to give up for another rental.
Halladay is signed through 2010, so he's not a true rental. Aquiring him would give the Brewers an oppurtunity to be a true WS contender.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess I don't see any reason why this season should have been considered a rebuilding year. Other than losing Sheets, we aren't down any players we had to start last season (OK, Kapler and a couple bench guys and relievers). Overall there's no reason we should be taking a step back after making the playoffs last year, and it will be terrible for business if that is what occurs.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I wouldn't mind seeing them moving some prospects as long as they aren't pitchers. People like Escobar I can live with because we are ok with the position now. Obviously any trade of Escobar would have to include an extension to Hardy. I think we have more than enough money to take on Peavy's contract with all of the huge contracts we'll be losing in the next two years (Suppan, Hall, Hoffman, Cameron, Kendall, etc). You're going to need to pay additional money to Hardy, Hart and Weeks, but if you sign Hardy to a 5 year extension things will be ok. I think its only a matter of time before Weeks and Fielder are gone as well. Getting Peavy would fill a huge void and give you 3 solid starters for the next few seasons. Most every other position can be taken care of through contract extensions (Hardy, Hart, relievers) or prospects (Gillespie, Gamel, Cain, Lawrie, Jeffress, Green).

MLB Trade Rumors has a story up noting that the Padres need a shortstop, and Towers was quoted as saying they'll "probably look outside the organization."

They don't mention the Brewers or anything like that...and their rookie shorstop (Everth Cabrera...how the heck many Cabreras are there?) will probably only be out for a couple months. I can just see this kick starting the Peavy to Milwaukee speculation again, so I thought it was worth noting. Sounds like they'll probably look for some veteran player who can be a part time guy later on, maybe.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Hardy doesn't make sense for the Padres because they'll only have him a couple years, plus he's not cheap. They'll want a young cheap guy they can control for a long time. Escobar makes much more sense for them than Hardy.

I dont think JJ Hardy is going to be the SS in any deal for Jake Peavy. The Padres are looking to trade Peavy to avoid paying his large salary while they rebuild with some youth. Hardy, who is arby eligible for two more years, then probably due a huge payday doesnt fit what the Padres are doing. At least with Peavy they have him under control for a few more years. Hardy could not resign and leave via FA in half the time Peavy could. What Milwaukee could/should really hope happens is for Brent Brewer to take off this spring and become a big prospect and then toss SD players like Brewer, Salome, and Jeffress. I dont know if that is too much or too little but I do believe that Hardy isnt a good fit.

What Milwaukee could/should really hope happens is for Brent Brewer to take off this spring and become a big prospect and then toss SD players like Brewer, Salome, and Jeffress
If Brewer takes off, wouldn't it make more sense to deal them Escobar, since he's closer to the majors making him a more valuable trade chip, and keep Brewer, since we don't need a SS until 2011?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

When will these Talks and Rumours go Away there no way Peavy Comming here.

Just curious, getting past the pointlessness of your response (it adds nothing to the thread), what would you have said last April had there been a 26 page thread about trading for CC Sabathia? Probably the exact same thing, as the Brewers werent even mentioned as a possible destination for Sabathia before June 1. At least the Brewers have been occasionally brought up in the Peavy discussion to this point and despite the fact that Peavy may control his destination the Brewers have the right set of prospects to make the trade happen should Peavy give it the green light.

I dont' know that Milwaukee has the pitching that SD would want in return. If they'd take position prospects with an A ball pitcher it might work, but Peavy isn't a rental, and his salary escalates up over 20 million, so there are financial ramifications in that move as well.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

At least the Brewers have been occasionally brought up in the Peavy discussion to this point and despite the fact that Peavy may control his destination the Brewers have the right set of prospects to make the trade happen should Peavy give it the green light.
No. The Brewers just do not have the pitching prospects to get this deal done.

Ok Rydogg66 First it fine i guess you can talk about a pointless trade because the Brewers Can"t afford Peavy Salary in the First Place . Secondly they don"t need to trade even more Prospects that don"t match up well with SD in the First Place. Peavy will not make this Rotation a playoff staff. IMO . The Most important things i believe no where does it mentions Peavy wants to come to Milw or will sign off on any deal. This is totally Different than the CC . If the Brewers do trade say Esocbar and Cain and a top pitching prospect it weakens a farm system which is the only way this team will grow. If Hardy Leaves who do you put a SS Just Curious . Hope this was more to the point than your view of my previous post. This is one man View which i believe is still allowed

Ok Rydogg66 First it fine i guess you can talk about a pointless trade because the Brewers Can"t afford Peavy Salary in the First Place . Secondly they don"t need to trade even more Prospects that don"t match up well with SD in the First Place. Peavy will not make this Rotation a playoff staff. IMO . The Most important things i believe no where does it mentions Peavy wants to come to Milw or will sign off on any deal. This is totally Different than the CC . If the Brewers do trade say Esocbar and Cain and a top pitching prospect it weakens a farm system which is the only way this team will grow. If Hardy Leaves who do you put a SS Just Curious . Hope this was more to the point than your view of my previous post. This is one man View which i believe is still allowed
Peavy will come to Milwaukee it is just that his option for the final year will be picked up and he will have a full no trade clause.

Some of the latest posts in this thread make my head hurt (incorrect capitalization, piss poor grammar, using quotation marks instead of apostrophes, poor spelling, etc.).

Of the teams in baseball, the Brewers have the goods to bring in a Peavy. I doubt they do it, since I think they value the depth that they currently have in the minors, but I don´t think any one of us can rule out the possibility completely.

At the very least it provides some interesting discussion trying to guess how much it would take to get him, and whether giving up such talent would be worth it (my vote is "no").

We have prospects yes, but we don't have pitching prospects to part with. SD would want pitching back, they aren't pitching heavy in the system. Milwaukee matches up best with those teams or a team that's looking for impact bats. I just can't see SD moving Peavy for anything less than 2 pitching prospects, one of which would have to be a top 25 type player. Trading a CY pitcher for anything less would be a public relations nightmare for the club.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I could easily see:

SS Alcides Escobar

RHP Cody Scarpetta

LF Cole Gillespie

C Jon Lucroy

being more than enough to secure Peavy. They may PREFER pitching prospects, but ultimately if there are only two or three teams willing to negotiate at all, you can't be so selective. Ultimately, as has been mentioned ad nauseum, it comes down to whether we want to be the Twins or the Marlins. The Twins take pride in annual contention, never sacrificing the future for a blind shot at the present, while the Marlins have somehow been rewarded for their short-sighted actions. If we ultimately make a deal of this magnitude, I would be behind it, but I can't help but wonder what our team would look like with LaPorta-Brantley-Garrison-Inman would look like had they donned the Brewer blue at the Beer Park.

I could easily see:

SS Alcides Escobar

RHP Cody Scarpetta

LF Cole Gillespie

C Jon Lucroy

being more than enough to secure Peavy. They may PREFER pitching prospects, but ultimately if there are only two or three teams willing to negotiate at all, you can't be so selective.

The Padres could just sit on that deal and not take it. It is not like Peavy is going to be leaving at the end of the season and the Padres will be only getting compensation through the draft. The Padres can afford to keep Peavy for another year or two before his contract really starts to get expensive.

You are onto something but I don't see the Padres accepting a deal where Scarpetta is the key pitching prospect coming back in return. Jeffress, Scarpetta, Lucroy, Gillespie/Schafer/Gindl would be more along the lines of what the Padres would be thinking in return for Peavy. Anything less than a very close ace type pitcher in return for Peavy would be unacceptable for the Padres and their fans. The GM would be killed if he doesn't get back at least an ace type pitcher for Peavy.

Nate, how could you possibly know what the Padres are thinking? I know they are thought to want pitching prospects in return, but I don't think its that far off having Escobar as the main player in the deal. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but sometimes you tend to state them as if they are facts.

Nate, how could you possibly know what the Padres are thinking? I know they are thought to want pitching prospects in return, but I don't think its that far off having Escobar as the main player in the deal. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but sometimes you tend to state them as if they are facts.

That is why I said I don't see them taking a deal centered around Escobar. With all the reports pointing towards pitching that is the way I am looking at it from the Padres point of view. The reported Braves-Padres deal had Escobar + a lot of pitching prospects. I don't see A. Escobar with Gillespie and Scarpetta as being something the Padres would be looking for. The Padres would be looking for Jeffress as the starting point with the Brewers. Escobar would probably be in the deal but if it is with Jeffress I don't see the Brewers moving on something like that. It would be one or the other in terms of Escobar and Jeffress and the Padres would take Jeffress 99 times out of 100.

I'm not claiming I know what they are thinking just going by what has been presented in the past as known information on Peavy and the Padres. The Padres are looking for pitching prospects which is kind of a no brainer for the Padres. Plus I doubt the Brewers would trade Escobar especially if a deal could not be done with Hardy. Adding Peavy and losing Escobar would be a wash at best for the Brewers. Yes the Brewers receive an Ace like pitcher in their rotation but they lose depth at SS. Remember in order for Peavy to come to Milwaukee the Brewers would have to pick up his option in his final year and give him a full no trade clause. That isn't really smart for the Brewers to do.

How I am looking at this is as a pure speculation and nothing more. I am looking at the pieces the Padres have in their minor league system and looking at the Brewers minor league system. Scarpetta wouldn't be enough with Escobar and others the Padres would be looking for more pitching in that deal. I don't see how or why the Padres would want Escobar and Scarpetta as the center pieces in the deal along with the other players in the deal. If anything I believe the Padres would be more interested in Jeffress than Escobar.

They don't have a long term solution at SS either, so getting one of the top prospects in all of baseball that plays that position might interest them. I think Escobar has more value than you think.
No Escobar has a lot of value I just don't see the Brewers trading that value. If the Brewers can not sign Hardy to a long term deal I don't see why the Brewers would trade Escobar.

Archived