Brewer Fanatic

Jake Peavy

Okay, but you didn't answer the questions I asked... people keep proposing deals but aren't following all the way through, how does the team make the deal work? It would be nice if people would make the move fit with the roster moves that appear to be inevitable and the salaries that the team would be on the hook for. Right now to me most of these ideas are throw away ideas... someone says lets acquire Peavy or Halladay for prospects... other posters agree... however no one takes the time to make all of the pieces fit. It's easy to say lets go get a guy, but it's not so easy to make every piece fit. Peavy is under contract for multiple seasons, so his value is greater than that of Sabathia. Cleveland had pitching so they were willing to take positional players, Peavy would probably command 3 top prospects in return and one of them has to be a SP with top of the rotation potential.

Jeffress is our only pitching prospect of consequence at this time and he may end up a RP. If we acquire Peavy, Suppan and Bush will still need to be replaced in house, because there's not going to be much money left for a FA SP of any kind.

Escobar... that's been beat to death, my gut feeling is that he's not going anywhere because Hardy isn't going to be resigned.

Gamel isn't going anywhere, he's left handed and hits for power and average, fit nicely at 3B, if he doesn't stick he also fits nicely in the OF or 1B, as Prince will not sign here.

Salome who's potential is vast is far more valuable to the Brewers than other clubs do to his defensive issues.

Cain will replace Cameron next season if things go well. If not, how do we adequately plug the hole left in CF?

Lucroy... I'd be furious if the team moved him, he's not as offensively talented as Salome, but he's a better C and he's a very good hitter, no way should he moved until things with Salome sort themselves out.

Brewer might be expendable, but he doesn't have much a track record yet so the team would have to be in love with his tools... he'd be like the Bryson of the Sabathia deal. If he keeps developing he might make a very nice 3B if Escobar were to stick, or maybe 2B with Lawrie moving to 3B.

Gillespie is solid depth, he does many things well but his only real asset is his fantastic eye at the plate... his trade value is probably similar to Brewer. He's a RH Gabe Gross but he doesn't have anywhere near Gabe's arm strength.

Green is 3B insurance if Gamel doesn't stick, 2B insurance if Lawrie develops slow, and is currently hurt and won't start playing till the AS break best case, they couldn't trade him if they wanted to since he's injured.

The "etc" doesn't exist... Braddock has injury issues, Periard has a shoulder problem, SPs like Cody have gotten excellent results but lack top of the rotation talent. Anundsen is probably the best of the rest, and he's a 3 if things go just right for him, there's no way he's the headlining pitching prospect in the deal.

The pitching outlook may be vastly different coming out of 2009 than it is going into the year, Braddock could emerge again, Periard's shoulder might hold up and he might finally be dominant, some of the young kids might excite us... however as it stands today, we just don't match up well with SD's needs.

Sooner or later Peavy is going to hit the DL for an extended period of time, all pitchers eventually do. I'd rather not be on the hook for 18 mil while he's rehabbing from Tommy John surgery...

If the situation was reversed and we were looking to move Peavy and weren't getting Escobar, Gamel, Jeffress, and 1 of Scarpetta/Odorizzi back we'd be furious. All those players have their warts, but they all have tremendous potential... again we'd be looking to 1 up the Sabathia deal because Peavy would be controlled for a much greater period of time.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While I certainly don't think we will acquire him anytime soon, it's not necessarily fair to say that he is going to command more than Sabathia. San Diego is in the unfortunate situation of having to actively shop him, which will certainly lower his return, whether San Diego tries to avoid it or not. Sabathia only had to get a return more than they felt the picks would be worth, as I'm sure they never predicted he'd end up on the same team as Teixeira. I'm sure whoever is able to put together a package that fits will get a great deal, I just don't think it will be us, and I hope it won't be the Cubs

it's not necessarily fair to say that he is going to command more than Sabathia.

Yes, it is. We only got CC for half a season. Whoever trades for Peavy is going to get him through the end of the 2013 season.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

He'd probably demand more than the Brewers gave up for CC, but I doubt it would be much more. I say this for a couple reasons. One, the Brewers really gave up a lot for a rental, even if it was one of the greatest rentals ever. Two, if the Brewers traded for Peavy they'd be making a much larger financial commitment than they did for Sabathia. San Diego would also save a ton of cash by moving him, while money wasn't really a factor for Cleveland when they traded Sabathia.

The comment section on TH's blog is always good for a laugh. There's probably already people calling for Kenny's head because the Crew lost a spring training game.
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

I don't know how I get sucked into the comment section of TH's blog but every few days I glance at it. Then I end up mad that there are people this stupid that claim to be fans of the same team I'm a fan of. I end up so irritated by it and I swear I will never look at it again.

Well, seeing how their bullpen seems rather shaky, between injuries and bad spring training performances, it would make more sense than trying to get another starter at this point. I have no idea who they could acquire at this point, though.

Pedro Martinez?

I thought I remember Melvin saying he had no interest in Pedro. I could be wrong, though. Anyway, I don't think Martinez wants to settle for being a reliever, and he also probably wants more money than he is worth at this point.

He'll probably end up in LA, if not somehow back with the Mets (though that seems doubtful).

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

• 2 weeks later...

Eric Bedard would probably be more attainable than Peavy. Sorry, definitely. The Ms are rumoredly planning a fire sale by mid season if they dont get off too a good start, with Bedard, Adrian Beltre, Miguel Batista, and Jarrod Washburn the first on the block. I wonder if Melvin has the cahoneys to swing a blockbuster for Bedard and Beltre. Hed probably have to give up at least 1 of Escobar or Gamal, and then some, but it could put you guys back into contention.

The problem with that is, when they, along with Hardy, Weeks, and Fielder become free agents in the next few years, it's back to the drawing board.

If the Brewers need a starter in July, there should be enough on the market to get it done. Who they are depends on which teams drop out of the race. Guys like Washburn, Doug Davis and Jose Contreras are all in final years of deals and shouldn't require all that much in return. Of course none of those guys would figure to have much impact either.

Yeah, I don't get the Peavy or nothing attitude that seems to be out there. You never know what else could be available come late June/early July.

I guess if I had to make a guess, Peavy ends up a Cub somehow, even though I don't see how they have the pieces to get a deal done.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Yeah, I don't get the Peavy or nothing attitude that seems to be out there. You never know what else could be available come late June/early July.

I guess if I had to make a guess, Peavy ends up a Cub somehow, even though I don't see how they have the pieces to get a deal done.

In the case of Peavy, the main piece is money. Peavys salary is a whopping 30% of the Padres pay roll, so if The Cubs are willing to take on the remainder of that contract, and pitch them a few decent young players in the process, the Pads can then go out and rebuild during the offseason.

This thing in the off season was that they were forcing Towers to move Peavy of Giles, both of whom have full NTCs. Giles didnt want to waive his for anyone. Peavy had a select list, which he eventually narrowed down to the Cubs and Braves. They asked too much from the Braves, who eventually got Javier Vazquez and Derrek Lowe, and lost interest. At that point, it was the Cubs or bust. Both Jim Hendry and Kevin Towers each played like they had leverage, and in the end, no deal got done.

In the case of Peavy, the main piece is money. Peavys salary is a whopping 30% of the Padres pay roll, so if The Cubs are willing to take on the remainder of that contract, and pitch them a few decent young players in the process, the Pads can then go out and rebuild during the offseason.

I dunno, for the Pads it's not like keeping Peavy around until they got a good return is a bad idea. He's reason alone for fans to come out to PetCo Park, and it's not like he's going to get old between now & the trade deadline. I really don't see how CHN could be a legit player for him at this point without sending Vitters as the main piece to SD (which, ok, they could do).

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The Cubs don't have the pitching prospects to get a deal done and that is a fact. There is a reason why the Cubs were searching for a third or even a fourth team for the trade to even become viable for the Cubs. Money is not a factor for trading Peavy it is more along the lines of having Peavy on the payroll while the team is rebuilding. It just doesn't make sense to have Peavy when you are rebuilding. The Padres are losing value with Peavy on the roster as they are rebuilding.

Peavy will be traded this year but it won't be to the Cubs unless the Cubs can find a third or fourth team to get involved with them. I don't see where the Cubs are going to get these young pitching prospects that will be needed to get Peavy.

Well if there's interest in Vitters, they probably could find at least one pitching prospect

Vitters would be the key. They also have had interest in Aaron Heilman in the past, and Sean Marshall. While these are far from top shelf pitching prospects, they are young major league ready pitchers, which is what they want. Besides, when you're dealing with a topof the line pitching prospect like David Price or Tommy Hanson, no team in their right mind is going to move a guy like that no matter whose on the block.

The Angels rumoredly had offered a deal centered around Jared Weaver, but Peavy was demanding an NL team at that time, when narrowed down to the Braves who lost interest due to the Pads demand for Tommy Hanson, the Dodgers, who they would ask too much from due to it being in their own division, and the Cubs, who almost got the deal done, but our mighty GM dropped the ball.

Archived