Brewer Fanatic

Jake Peavy

Peavy was "available" in the sense that there were certain teams he would go to and other teams he would consider going to if his option for 2013 was picked up. I think the Brewers later found themselves in that 2nd category. If Peavy moves them into the 1st then something might happen.

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Peavy was "available" in the sense that there were certain teams he would go to and other teams he would consider going to if his option for 2013 was picked up. I think the Brewers later found themselves in that 2nd category. If Peavy moves them into the 1st then something might happen.
No the Brewers were interested in Peavy even with guaranteeing the 2013 year. It is the no trade clause in the last year of his option that would be the problem for the Brewers plus the Brewers not having pitching prospects that they are willing to give up. Jeffress, Parra, and Gallardo would be off the table. The Padres would be looking to take one or two of those players for Peavy.

It just wouldn't make sense for the Brewers to trade any of those three for Peavy even though he would be under team control for a minimum of 4 seasons. Getting rid of any of those 3 players wouldn't be a good idea financially for the Brewers. All three of those players would out produce or be equal to Peavy and would cost significantly less.

I would like to have Peavy in the rotation but giving up Jeffress, Parra, or Gallardo just wouldn't be a smart move by the Brewers front office.

Hmm, I didn't know Lasik surgery allows you to see into the future too!

Very well-played.

Interesting, though, that Hall felt comfortable saying something about this. To me that's not a comment a dude would just randomly make out of the blue, unless it's all just some elaborate bidding-war scheme cooked up by Doug Melvin!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Interesting, though, that Hall felt comfortable saying something about this. To me that's not a comment a dude would just randomly make out of the blue, unless it's all just some elaborate bidding-war scheme cooked up by Doug Melvin!
Every year that there is a trade rumor about someone on the trading block players are asked about it and asked if their team is on it or asked if they would like to have said player on their team. I wouldn't read too much into any of the quotes a player makes about another player on another team that could be traded. Hall, Fielder, Hardy, will say just about exactly the same thing about any player when asked about something like this.

It all makes sense now. Gallardo isn't named as the opening day pitcher because Peavy will soon be added to take that spot. Gallardo stays on track to pitch game 2 and Suppan is bumped to the pen.

(Sigh...Wish that didn't have to be written in blue.)

It all makes sense now. Gallardo isn't named as the opening day pitcher because Peavy will soon be added to take that spot. Gallardo stays on track to pitch game 2 and Suppan is bumped to the pen.

(Sigh...Wish that didn't have to be written in blue.)
You and me both, my friend, you and me both. . .

Better yet, Suppan is part of the trade. Sigh.

That was exactly my thinking, too. Would almost make more sense for them to ask for Escobar if they wanted a shortstop.
Escobar makes more sense but still not a center piece for Peavy. The Padres are looking for young pitching prospects the last I heard what the Padres were looking for in return from trading Peavy.

Unless you are Doug Melvin, Jake Peavy, or Jake Peavy's agent, I don't see how you can be so convinced of that at this point.

I agree that Escobar makes more sense for them financially and since they aren't competing the next few seasons. IF we could get Hardy to accept a 3(+) year deal, I'd include Escobar and maybe a few mid level arms. We'd be very competitive the next few years.

IF we could get Hardy to accept a 3(+) year deal, I'd include Escobar and maybe a few mid level arms. We'd be very competitive the next few years.

Adding nearly $30 million in payroll, we'd better be very competitive. Its just not happening, I don't believe we can take on Peavey and extend Hardy, which is pretty much a must if Escobar leaving the org.

We're not getting Peavy. Period. He doesn't want to come here. Melvin won't give up the prospects.

Well then, someone forward this info to Peter Gammons and MLBtraderumors so they stop wasting their time, oh and lock the thread, because this guy clearly has an inside man on this one.

Yeah, I tend to agree that Peavy just isn't a "fit" for Milwaukee at this point. I just hope the Cubs don't end up trading for him at some point this year.

Actually he could easily fit. There is a strong argument for going all out over the next 2 seasons and then after 2010(assuming no World Series win that year) let Hardy walk, trade Fielder, Hart, and Weeks and take a step back in 2011 for one year.

I see your point, endaround. I just don't know if the Brewers, with their budget stretched as is, could even afford him for the next year and a half (or whatever it would end up being) before trading other guys off for salary relief. I also think Melvin might be leary of trading off more prospects (since Fielder, Hardy, etc. will likely be gone sooner than later).
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Well then, someone forward this info to Peter Gammons and MLBtraderumors so they stop wasting their time, oh and lock the thread, because this guy clearly has an inside man on this one.
Well, to be fair, Gammons only said the one line about Bill Hall in regards to Peavy. And I don't think MLB Trade Rumors has reported anything on Peavy in almost a month.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

JohnBriggs12 wrote:

Hmm, I didn't know Lasik surgery allows you to see into the future too!

Bill Hall didn't need Lasik to see into the future, just check WOAH SOLVDD, Can Bill Hall pitch?

Bill Hall was brought in for Lasik so his eyes would sharpen the lasers. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I'm still holding out hope for Peavy come mid season. If we are in it and getting a top notch starter puts us over the top I hope we at least try to get Jake to want to come here. Obviously we have the prospects to get the deal done. I'm sure if Peavy had already signed off on the Brewers the Pads would be working hard to trade him to us knowing how good our farm system is.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I might be missing something here but what pitching prospects can we possibly afford to move in this deal? Which position players would we give and why? Hardy + Peavy on the payroll is 20ish mil in the first season and escalating from there probably into the mid 30s by the time Peavy's deal runs out, how does the team afford that? What if Peavy gets hurt and we're on the hook for his salary? The risk is definitely not worth the reward here...

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived