Brewer Fanatic

Jake Peavy

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is there any ace pitcher that comes without the possibility for injury? CC has the most taxed arm in baseball. Beckett? Wang? Halladay? Kazmir? I could see Johan being thrown out there, but really, there is no such thing as an infallible pitcher, in so many respects. Give me the days of Walter Johnson and his back-to-back shutouts!

I agree that Peavy will cost more in July. However, I am not a big fan of Peavy; one of the reasons (other than rebuilding) the Pads are willing to trade him because he is an injury disaster waiting to happen. Not if, but when.
What makes Peavy and injury disaster waiting to happen? Are there questions with his delivery and overuse? I know he missed some time this past year but he still made 27 starts. At his salary he is a great deal and if we can get him for Escobar and others I would be all for it. When he was rumored to go to the Cub there was no way I could get my Cub-hating mind to consider it a bad deal for them (other than the little solice I got from knowing it would destroy their depth and farm system but it was not enough). We have the pieces to make the deal, we maybe could have the money to make the deal, but we just might not be in the right location to make the deal.

I just don't get the Brewer mentality of trying to wait until June or July to add a needed piece, rather than doing it now and increasing the odds that they're actually, you know, still in the race in mid-summer.
The advantage of waiting until June or July is three-fold.

1. You only have to pay half of his salary.

2. You get to see what position your team is before deciding to spend a ton of money.

3. See how the economic conditions affect the Brewers attendance.

I completely understand your point that Peavy could help in April and May as well. However, I think the Brewers want to see how their current players fare first. (If Yo throws out his arm in the first week of the season - it probably doesn't pay to trade for Peavy anymore) Peavy would only be a few wins over the entire season better than McClung. So there really isn't much hard in waiting.

I just don't get the Brewer mentality of trying to wait until June or July to add a needed piece, rather than doing it now and increasing the odds that they're actually, you know, still in the race in mid-summer.
The advantage of waiting until June or July is three-fold.

2. You get to see what position your team is before deciding to spend a ton of money.

I completely understand your point that Peavy could help in April and May as well. However, I think the Brewers want to see how their current players fare first. (If Yo throws out his arm in the first week of the season - it probably doesn't pay to trade for Peavy anymore) Peavy would only be a few wins over the entire season better than McClung. So there really isn't much hard in waiting.

Even if Yo goes down if you have Peavy you are definitely closer in the race. Not to mention you don't just want to trade for him if we're in it at the break. I would think we'd want him because he's one of the top 5 pitchers in Baseball and he can help us for the rest of his contract... and at a rate that is considerably cheaper than much less talented pitchers have gotten the past couple of years.

Rp

I would think that you will have to pay more for Peavy at the deadline because all of the teams in contention (especially those with injuries in their rotation) are looking for, and are under pressure from fans to get the guy that will put them over the top. At this point, you would think that San Diego would be more amenable to moving Peavy before spring training just to avoid the daily distraction that this situation has become. Most teams wouldn't move Peavy until the deadline just in case they start off well and are in contention, but this is a rare case because the Padres have pretty much waved the white flag for 2010 and are cutting costs. I'm actually pretty frustrated that the Brewers seem unwilling take advantage of this situation, especially after what they offered Sabathia. One year ago, before CC was a Brewer, I'm guessing most fans would have rather had Peavy.

I'm actually pretty frustrated that the Brewers seem unwilling take advantage of this situation, especially after what they offered Sabathia. One year ago, before CC was a Brewer, I'm guessing most fans would have rather had Peavy.
It is not the Brewers who are not interested it is Peavy who is not interested in playing for the Brewers. Peavy would probably block a trade to the Brewers and if he doesn't even before he considers the Brewers the Brewers would have to pick up the option for the last year of his contract and give him a full no trade clause. Basically the Brewers would be stuck with Peavy if they traded for him. The biggest concern would be Peavy getting injured.

Melvin really can't take advantage of a situation when there is nothing to take advantage of. Peavy is holding all of the cards right now for the Padres and the Padres are not going to trade Peavy to the Cubs or to another team for garbage players. Basically the Padres are waiting for Peavy to relax on his trade demands so they can get the most out of him and if the Padres have to wait until the trading deadline they are going to wait. The Padres may even wait untill next off season to trade Peavy. Unlike the Twins with Santana the Padres can afford to wait to trade Peavy.

I would think that you will have to pay more for Peavy at the deadline because all of the teams in contention (especially those with injuries in their rotation) are looking for, and are under pressure from fans to get the guy that will put them over the top. At this point, you would think that San Diego would be more amenable to moving Peavy before spring training just to avoid the daily distraction that this situation has become. Most teams wouldn't move Peavy until the deadline just in case they start off well and are in contention, but this is a rare case because the Padres have pretty much waved the white flag for 2010 and are cutting costs. I'm actually pretty frustrated that the Brewers seem unwilling take advantage of this situation, especially after what they offered Sabathia. One year ago, before CC was a Brewer, I'm guessing most fans would have rather had Peavy.
I agree. I think everyone has this mentality that if we wait until the deadline someone will fall in our laps but in reality what happens is we wait until the deadline and yes there are more names that can be moved but also more highly motivated bidders looking to lock up a preseason bid. So you end up having to give more prospects away in a deal because you're competing with 2-3 (or more) teams rather than being the one of maybe two teams trying to piece together a deal that fits when there's far less pressure.

Rp

I'm sorry but I don't buy any of those. Its not that I think you are wrong, but i think if Mark and Doug use those as excuses I will throw up.

1. If Mark A. is willing to wait half a season to acquire one of the best pitchers in all of baseball so that he only has to pay half his salary, he should sell the team now.

2. Your position would be much improved if you have him all year long, plus you get him for 2 more years, so its not like you are losing all your best prospects on a once in a lifetime shot like you did with Sabathia.

3. The Brewers passed 3 million last year, and are already on a record pace this season. The fans are doing their part and we shouldn't have to play wait and see with this season.

To me this is no debate. If you can get him, get him and get him now. Escobar is expendable if they extend Hardy for 3-4 years. Catchers are our deepest position if you include Lawrie, so one of them is expendable. I think the only two prospects I wouldnt include our Gamel, because I think he is needed to replace Fielder, and Jeffress because he has top of the rotation potential and because it'd be nice to develope another pitcher.

Peavy would cost too much for the Brewers. If they were to consider trading Escobar, they 100% would need to sign Hardy to a multi-year deal.

Plus, as already mentioned, he is set to make a ton of money.

Also, if you all want Salome to be in the deal, then who is our catcher next season? I already posted in another thread that I don't see Salome in a Brewer uniform but a poster did make a good statement. Kendall will be gone and Lawrie and Lucroy are a few years away.

Peavy would cost too much for the Brewers. If they were to consider trading Escobar, they 100% would need to sign Hardy to a multi-year deal.

Plus, as already mentioned, he is set to make a ton of money.

Also, if you all want Salome to be in the deal, then who is our catcher next season? I already posted in another thread that I don't see Salome in a Brewer uniform but a poster did make a good statement. Kendall will be gone and Lawrie and Lucroy are a few years away.

Peavy wouldn't cost too much for the Brewers. If the Brewers would have signed Sabathia it would have been more than what Peavy would be paid over about the same amount of years. 10:$15M, 11:$16M, 12:$17M, 13:$22M club option ($4M buyout) that is what the Brewers would have to pay for one of the better pitchers in the league. Peavy doesn't start to become expensive until 2013.

Peavy would be under contract for a very team friendly contract. The only problem right now for the Brewers is that Peavy would want the option in 2013 to be picked up and a full no trade clause.

Jake Peavy is a perfect deal for Escobar+. I dont see why it would be giving up too much. We gave up Matt LaPorta last year for a half year of CC. While CC is a better pitcher, LaPorta was just as good of a prospect as Escobar. They both have great upsides. Escobar+ for 4 years of Peavy is a steal. Peavys contract isnt too bad anyway. Now if Doug and Mark A would grow some beans and do it.

Now if Doug and Mark A would grow some beans and do it.
I wonder how many times this will have to be repeated. Melvin and Mark A are not in the drivers seat here. Peavy still has yet to relax on his trade demands. I doubt the Brewers are on his list of teams that he would want to be traded to. Melvin did contact the Padres GM about Peavy awhile back. Melvin said that the Padres wanted Jeffress and others for Peavy. Melvin also said that the Brewers do not have the prospects that the Padres were looking for at the time. Which is correct the Padres are looking for pitching prospects and the Brewers are short on those.

I wouldn't trade both Escobar and Jeffress to the Padres for Peavy even though we are getting Peavy for a long time. If it was an Escobar, Periard, Gillespie, and a PTBNL then I would do it but if it takes both Escobar and Jeffress to get the deal done it is just not worth it for the Brewers.

Nate 82, where are you getting your information from? Do you have insider knowledge, or did you see that in a report, I've never heard that the Brewers made an offer for Peavy, or that they specifically wanted Jeffress and others.

Nate 82, where are you getting your information from? Do you have insider knowledge, or did you see that in a report, I've never heard that the Brewers made an offer for Peavy, or that they specifically wanted Jeffress and others.
It was in a report earlier in the year that Melvin said that he had contacted Towers and that the Brewers did not have the players that the Brewers were willing to give up. I believe it is somewhere in this thread actually and there is a link where Melvin talks about him not willing to give up Parra or Jeffress.

It looks like Cubs are in ownership limbo and can't get any kind of even tentative approval to increase payroll, whether or not they have the pieces. I still say he goes by the trade deadline, but not to the cubs!

Big, yeah. The latest reports on MLBtraderumors.com and the like even say the Cubs and Padres haven't even talked recently about Peavy. It's just the Cubs fanboys that keep bringing up the possibility, ignoring the reality of the ownership transition like you mentioned.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

• 1 month later...

Peter Gammons quotes Bill Hall today that if Peavy becomes available "Brewers will be in on him".

Hmm, I didn't know Lasik surgery allows you to see into the future too!

Seriously, this is an interesting development. It has always been thought that Peavy wasn't interested in the Brewers. But I think it's interesting that this comes from Hall, who's a player, as players do talk and hear things from other players and through their agents. My guess is that with Hardy looking like a possible MVP candidate this spring, they could revisit the idea of dealing Escobar if it meant getting Peavy.

Archived