Brewer Fanatic

Jake Peavy

Heard someone make a good point on the radio the other day, along the lines of, "Well, the Padres aren't going to win with or without Peavy at this point, so they may as well hold onto him until the trade deadline when they can probably get more for him." That is probably where they're going, I think.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Heard someone make a good point on the radio the other day, along the lines of, "Well, the Padres aren't going to win with or without Peavy at this point, so they may as well hold onto him until the trade deadline when they can probably get more for him." That is probably where they're going, I think.
The Padres can afford to hang onto Peavy as long as they want to. Unlike Sabathia last year Peavy is under contract for the next 3 years I believe it is. The Padres won't lose any value by holding onto Peavy even into next year. Unlike Santana and Sabathia the Padres can wait for the right deal to come along. I still believe the Brewers and Braves are the teams the Padres should be targeting. Peavy is the only person really holding up any trade. If Peavy would relax his no trade clause I believe he would have been traded already to a team. Since Peavy has limited the Padres to teams they can trade him to there is basically a very limited market for him and the Padres are wise to just wait it out untill either Peavy relaxes his no trade clause or one of the other teams on his trade list get some more talent in their system (highly unlikely).

The Angels could become a dark horse for Peavy though. The Angels have everything that the Padres would be looking for in prospects.

Originally, it was a California team/ATL/CHC. Then he relaxed the list to include Bo-town and NY. But that's the most relaxed it's been. With Peavy, he knows he's going to get paid, and he knows he can be getting paid while basking in SoCal. And finally, he knows he can be getting paid, living in SoCal, pitching at PetCo (padding his resume for another inevitable payday). I would be in no hurry.

Escobar, Salome, Gwynn, and Periard/Braddock is more like it for 3 years of Peavy.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

As I've said before, I'd give San Diego Escobar, Parra and Gwynn for Peavy and I think they'd do it. I would say Peavy is a notch above Sabathia. With Hoffman and Cameron here, I don't think it'd be a huge leap of faith that he'd waive the no trade clause. Peavy and Gallardo would rival any 1-2 punch in the league and they would both be under contract for the next three years. This makes too much sense not to do.

As many others have said, how does trading 1 of our 2 best pitchers help us? The jump from Parra to Peavy isn't as great as the jump from McClung to Peavy. If we had a rotation like TB or LAA with young studs up and down we could make a deal like that but we have a 1/2 type in Yo, and 2/3 type in Parra, and then 3 4/5 types, the Brewers don't have the depth that they can afford to trade Parra.

If you're going to trade for Peavy and you're Milwaukee you try to do it with prospects because it pushes McClung out of the rotation and gives you a very nice 1,2,3 punch. Then if the Brewers make the playoffs the team really only needs 1 of Yo or Parra to be healthy/effective to have a decent playoff rotation which is a pretty reasonable goal. Going forward assuming Yo and Parra make it through 2009 our rotation should be pretty solid. 2009 is a tough year to project because Parra broke down in 2008 and Yo lost most of the season on a freak injury for a pitcher, it's difficult to be certain what we have in those 2 guys. Even if the team does nothing in 2009 the Brewers will competitive and we'll have a much better understanding of what we have in Yo, Parra, Escobar, Salome, Gamel, Jeffress, Braddock, Cain, and Periard so we'll have a better idea of what the team needs are going forward.

Trading Escobar also means that the Brewers have to lock in Hardy, or have a verbal agreement in place prior to moving Escobar. I don't see Escobar going anywhere unless Hardy is locked up long term.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Personally, I believe both Escobar and Parra are highly overrated here. I hope I'm wrong, and these guys both turn out to be studs, but my gut says no. By all accounts, Escobar is an outstanding fielder...... but will he ever hit enough to become a "star", or will he become the next Royce Clayton? His trade value has never been higher. Hardy should certainly be locked in for the next several years, with his big money coming after the albatross Suppan comes off the books.

Parra has a problematic injury history, is only one year younger than Peavy, and for whatever reason hit a wall last year. Many people have stated that they expected Parra to hit the wall last year at a set amount of innings...if that is true, then how can he be counted on as a #2 starter this year? The fact is that Peavy is light years ahead of Parra. He would step in as the staff ace, while Gallardo could slide to the #2 starter.

By all accounts, Escobar is an outstanding fielder...... but will he ever hit enough to become a "star",

One of the situations that a team likes the Brewers will face is that they can't pay market value at every position. If Escobar is only league average but can do so for the minimum for 3 years, that would have huge value for the Brewers.

His trade value has never been higher

Sure, he's going into his age 22 season. But Hardy would bring back more in a trade than Escobar would.

Parra has a problematic injury history, is only one year younger than Peavy, and for whatever reason hit a wall last year. Many people have stated that they expected Parra to hit the wall last year at a set amount of innings...if that is true, then how can he be counted on as a #2 starter this year? The fact is that Peavy is light years ahead of Parra. He would step in as the staff ace, while Gallardo could slide to the #2 starter.
"Htting the wall" was an innings thing that's pretty easy to project, especially with young pitchers. It's not so much the innings, as it is the pitches, because all innings are not created equal, but using innings gives a pretty good approximation. Most of us figured Parra would struggle because he hadn't pitched over 130 innings since 2003, and typically young SP are built up 20-30 innings at a time. It wasn't unreasonable to expect him to tire out at some point. Since he put 166 innings last season, I'm hoping he can put up 180+ this season and if Yo can do the same we're in good shape going forward.

You may not like Parra, that's fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I still don't see how your trade makes sense from a talent stand point. Acquiring Peavy with Parra in the package gives us Peavy as a 1, Yo as a 2, then same quality behind it... the team hasn't gained all that much in terms of wins and only broke even in rotation depth. Unless you're suggesting that Parra 's talent is no better than McClung's? If the team doesn't make a move I'm alright with it, I believe the Brewers will be competitive regardless and coming out of 2009 we'll have a much better idea where the team needs to go. We'll have a better picture of where all of the kids are at and where they might fit in, what kind of pitchers Yo and Parra will be, and Hardy's contract situation.

- Plato

- Plato

Cnnsi.com now has a rumor about Milwaukee and Peavy. Personally, I'm getting a little tired of hearing about it. They have the players to get Peavy, and they should do it. If he doenst want to come, he doesnt want to come, but find out. If payroll is the only issue with Mark A. against this, then I honestly will lose a lot of respect for him. Within 2 years, you'll have Suppan, Hall, Fielder, Cameron, Kendall, and Hoffman off the books. Braun is signed for a very reasonable contract for like 7 more years. Hardy and Hart will command some, but not a ton. Same with Weeks. You'll have to extend Parra and Gallardo eventually, but that'll be fine. Basically what I'm getting at is that we have plenty of payroll flexibilty and plenty of prospects to make it happen. You can start with Escobar, throw in a catcher (Salome or Lucroy) and add two younger prospects like Gindl, Brewer, Braddock, or Anundson and possibly Gywnn for PR purposes, and get it done. Then you extend Hardy and Hart, move Gamel to first base, which they should be doing anyway because he is not a third basemen and you have a better option in Taylor Green anyway. You can trade Fielder after this season to help restock the system., put Gamel at first. You have Weeks at second, Hardy at short. 3rd base you can fill in until Green or Lawrie is ready. Salome or Lucroy at catcher, and an outfield of Braun and Hart, and if Gillespie or Cain isnt ready after this season, you can find a one year replacement after Cameron leaves. A rotation with Peavy, Gallardo, and Parra for the next three years would be stellar. And if Jeffress continues to improve, he could be ready in 2 years and would be a very capable replacement for one of those three should they get hurt.

We were top 10 in attendance last year. I understand that attendance is not the only way you make money but when you are outdrawing Boston (I admit their capacity is lower and ticket prices higher) we shouldn't be too concerned about whether the payroll is 75 or 80 million.

Cnnsi.com now has a rumor about Milwaukee and Peavy.

Looking at that cnnsi "article" (if you can call it that), there really does not seem to be much substance to it at all. Looks like it was taken from the Boston Globe and all it basically states is that the Brewers are a team that needs another starter such as Peavy. It does not mention anything about any type of source from either organization stating that the two teams have even spoken with each other regarding Peavy

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I seriously doubt the Brewers do anything big like a Peavy move - at this point. I think they're more likely to do what they did last season - wait and see hot the club is doing mid-way through the year, then make the leap if a premium player can get us to the playoffs. Would I love to have Peavy from day 1 - sure. But the Crew simply have too many question marks - they aren't a lock to be in the playoff race - even with Peavy in the rotation. Gallardo is coming off an injury, Parra has to be effective for a full year, does Hoffman have another year in him, is McClung a rotation guy, is Suppan only going to get worse, can Bush be consistent all year, what Hart and Weeks are we getting, etc., etc., etc. If a few things go wrong, this club might be out of it by July 31, and they would seriously regret trading a bunch of young players.

But if the club is running neck and neck with the cubbies come mid-july - if the young guys get better (gallardo, parra, weeks, etc.), then maybe we make a splash and deal for a Peavy - or whatever we need.

I'm not saying I am interested in trading for Peavy, but I do not believe that trading prospects should be the issue. If you believe in your scouting and in your minor league instructors, there will always be prospects. We become infatuated with these guys because we always like to see the next possible star emerge, but the reality is that they are expendable, especially non-pitchers, and even for a small market club. I wouldn't be afraid to trade anyone for pitching, but Peavy may be too expensive dollars wise. We may not be a playoff team with him, but I am quite sure we are not one without him. We have to be kidding ourselves if we think a rotation of Gallardo, Parra, Soup, Bush and McClung is playoff caliber.

It does not mention anything about any type of source from either organization stating that the two teams have even spoken with each other regarding Peavy

I never said it did, just that CNNSI mentioned it.

Like I said, I don't see how money can seriously be an issue at this point. Are you telling me Attanasio cant afford to add $10-$15 million for one year ( I forget how much Peavy makes this year) to obtain one of the best pitchers in all of baseball? You can fix the payroll when Hoffman, Cameron, and Kendall come off the books next season, plus Suppan, Hall and Fielder the year after that. This whole wait and see thing is dumb because if you can get him for an entire year, you'll most likely do significantly better (think Peavy vs McClung or Suppan). The difference in wins with him vs without him could be 6-7 wins, which as last year showed you is quite a few.

I seriously doubt the Brewers do anything big like a Peavy move - at this point. I think they're more likely to do what they did last season - wait and see hot the club is doing mid-way through the year, then make the leap if a premium player can get us to the playoffs. Would I love to have Peavy from day 1 - sure. But the Crew simply have too many question marks - they aren't a lock to be in the playoff race - even with Peavy in the rotation. Gallardo is coming off an injury, Parra has to be effective for a full year, does Hoffman have another year in him, is McClung a rotation guy, is Suppan only going to get worse, can Bush be consistent all year, what Hart and Weeks are we getting, etc., etc., etc. If a few things go wrong, this club might be out of it by July 31, and they would seriously regret trading a bunch of young players.

But if the club is running neck and neck with the cubbies come mid-july - if the young guys get better (gallardo, parra, weeks, etc.), then maybe we make a splash and deal for a Peavy - or whatever we need.

The thing is, by adding Peavy, the Brewers address or render moot many of those questions.

If the Brewers are going to try and add a Peavy-esque player at the deadline if they are in it anyway, why not just add him now and have him the entire year. There is a chance that w/o Peavy they are a .500 team, but with him they could threaten 90 wins and make the playoffs.

My slant on this is that Peavy could well become a Brewer in June or July, so the Brewers would only have to pay half of his 2009 salary. Just like the Sabathia deal.

Then, after 2009, Cameron is a free agent and we only have one more year to pay Suppan. So, here's the idea:

On July 1st or so, trade Escobar, Salome, and McClung to San Diego for Peavy and 10million over the remainder of his contract.

Then, in the next offseason, trade Prince for a Jacoby Ellsbury type centerfielder and Gamel or Hart can play first base.

I just don't get the Brewer mentality of trying to wait until June or July to add a needed piece, rather than doing it now and increasing the odds that they're actually, you know, still in the race in mid-summer. I would imagine that it could take more to get a Peavy in July than it would right now.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I don't think the Padres are in a position to be forced to eat $10M total in salary with Peavy's contract. If anything, he's underpaid. Also, I thought there was also talk that he was using his No-trade clause to force a team to either extend him or drop the option years. As for the chances at adding Peavy, I have to imagine if there's a chance, the 'stache will query on what it would take.

I don't think the Padres are in a position to be forced to eat $10M total in salary with Peavy's contract.
Exactly the Padres are not going to pay any of Peavy's contract. It makes no sense for the Padres to pay any of Peavy's contract if they are trading him. They could just hold onto Peavy than pay any of his remaining contract. The Padres have the luxury to wait and trade Peavy. Peavy will be underpaid for what he could get in the market over the life of his contract. The only way Peavy gets traded before the season starts is if Peavy relaxes on his trade restrictions. I'm going to go with the Padres trading Peavy closer to the trading deadline than before the year. Peavy won't be happy pitching in San Diego during the year and will then relax his trade restrictions and he will go to a team that he may not have wanted to go to earlier in the year.

The Brewers have some of the prospects that it would take to get Peavy. The A's, Angels, Rangers, and even the Yankees have some of the pieces in Hughes/Kennedy but that is about it.

Archived