Brewer Fanatic

Jake Peavy

I say no. Escobar is to valuable, especially if we are looking to go into the small market frame of mind. JJ can be moved for a high quality player and we can take his money off the books and then have a "Gofor broke" year and spend money. Escobar is really good defensively, we'll lose a little at the bat, but Gamel should fill that roll nicely.

Peavy is good. We can all agree on that. But his road numbers don't look all that great, all his numbers increase pretty dramatically on the road. The Padres are looking to sell Peavy at his home number rates of sub 3 or even sub 2 elite value, when in actuality he's worth around a ~3ish ERA equivalent pitcher. Add in the fact he had those elbow issues and there's some 59 million still owed to him (Before the 2013 buy out of 4 million or 22 million option pick up!), it just seems like that's a pretty big risk for someone who hasn't shown to anyone recently that he can pitch elitely in a ballpark that's not huge. Miller Park is about as neutral as you can get, so he won't be in a bang box, but since most damage is done via the flyball/line drive, expect a lot more of those balls to leave the park.

Sign Sheets instead, he's got the same elbow concerns right now, and we can probably get him on a 2 year contract. He's better then Peavy in Miller Park and when healthy, is a BEAST. Yeah yeah, people hate him becuase he's always hurt, but he's still more effective then a lot of our rotation!

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Depending on his offers, I'm sure we can sweeten the deal a bit. Lets be honest, money makes the world go'round. So if he can make an extra million dollars here compared to say Texas. I can think of 1 million reasons why he'd want to come here. Just as I can see the 61 million reasons why Sabathia decided to go to New York.

I'm back and forth on a Peavy deal. I've liked/feared him for some time and his contract seems favorable in relation to what the team was offering Sabathia. There is also the dear, dear schadenfreunde over the the Cubs. I'm uncertain as to where the Brewers are. They basically have the same team as the last two years minus an impact pitcher. In some ways Peavy would continue the win now strategy and I've found myself wondering what the window is for this group of players. Hardy and Fielder are getting expensive, Hart and Hall have shaken the trust in their abilities and there could be issues related to Parra and Gallarado's durablity. Would it make sense to go for it again next year with Peavy? Fielder is as good as gone in the next two years and you can't really see the team riding only Braun into play-off contention every year. (Or maybe he is our Pujols)

Gettning Peavy with Escobar would be interesting in hindsight, because from here it looks like it might be selling high on Escobar. San Diego is obviously in dire financial straights so flipping them a bunch of cheap uncertainties for 3 years of Peavy could be shrewd.

I can't shake thinking that Kevin Towers was so transparent through the whole Cubs proceedings, constantly talking about the potential deal for Peavy. So why would he got quiet all of a sudden before announcing a big deal with the Brewers? I would suspect he would say "another team is showing interest," unless he's changed his strategy. We haven't heard anything even hinting at this all day, which really makes me question the possibility.

Jake Peavy more than likely to be pitching for the Padres in 2009.

Padres CEO says "It's likely Jake will be with us Opening Day. We said from the very beginning in connection with both of those possibilities that we would not make a trade unless it made baseball sense. We are no longer actively pursuing any trade for Jake, which is not to say someone won't approach us."

I have to agree with sarge about Sheets. If my options are give up prospects for Peavy(which doesnt look realisitc anyways) or sign Sheets to 2 or even 3 years I say Sheets all day. I find it really hard to believe that he's soured on us so much that he made it clear to Melvin he won't sign with us. Even if he just used us as leverage in negotiations with someone else, it has to look kinda fishy that his old team(thats needs pitching) isnt even making him an offer. That leads me to believe we are the ones taking a pass. I heard Olney say he expects Sheets to end up signing for 2/26-28. If thats the case and we don't at least have a bid on the table at or slightly above that then something is wrong. Maybe something is seriously wrong with him and they know it? If not, I don't get why we aren't even making an offer. I dont care if he's upset and has suggested he won't resign. Teams arent exactly knocking his door down right now, if we offer him the best contract he will take it.

Sorry for the Sheets rambling in a Peavy thread, but I think it directly relates to trading for Peavy or not.

apparently the Braves are very close to bringing back Rafael Furcal. I wonder if this will re-open the Peavy to Braves talks since Escobar is now expendable.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Rotoworld speculates that Furcal could either play SS or 2nd so Kelly Johnson or Yunel Escobar are up for grabs. I would be all for trying to get Kelly Johnson, at the right price of course.

Sounds like Melvin turned down a Hart for Kelly Johnson trade if one is to believe Ken Rosenthal.

I wouldnt turn that deal down. If it was straight up I dont see why not. Its a lot easier to find a good hitting outfielder then it is to find a better hitting 2nd baseman. Would let us shop Weeks (even though his value is lower, but who knows if it will ever get higher) and let Gamel start playing OF. Just my 2 cents.

• 1 month later...

"The Cubs have reached agreement with the Orioles on a deal that will send Pie to Baltimore for left-hander Garrett Olson and Class A right-hander Henry Williamson, according to major-league sources.

Pie, rated the Cubs' No. 1 prospect by Baseball America in 2007, has yet to prove he can hit in the majors, batting .223 with a .284 on-base percentage in 287 career plate appearances.

Olson, the 48th overall pick in the 2005 draft, could fit for the Cubs as a middle reliever if lefty Sean Marshall moves into the team's rotation.

The Padres wanted Olson as part of a three-team trade for Jake Peavy earlier this off-season, and could ask for him again from the Cubs if those talks revive."

From your link

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

"The Cubs have reached agreement with the Orioles on a deal that will send Pie to Baltimore for left-hander Garrett Olson and Class A right-hander Henry Williamson, according to major-league sources.

Pie, rated the Cubs' No. 1 prospect by Baseball America in 2007, has yet to prove he can hit in the majors, batting .223 with a .284 on-base percentage in 287 career plate appearances.

Olson, the 48th overall pick in the 2005 draft, could fit for the Cubs as a middle reliever if lefty Sean Marshall moves into the team's rotation.

The Padres wanted Olson as part of a three-team trade for Jake Peavy earlier this off-season, and could ask for him again from the Cubs if those talks revive."

From your link

Oops, I didn't actually read the article.

Archived