Brewer Fanatic

Jake Peavy

There's a thread over at Badgermaniac with a poster citing a "Padre Website" rumoring Peavy for Escobar and Periard, pending Peavy's approval.

No link provided by the poster, and nothing seemingly anywhere on line suggesting this is anything other than an internet rumor that may be entirely made-up.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=193&f=2570&t=3603025

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the exact quote from that lead post:

"Saw on Padre website that there are rumors of a trade with Milwaukee if Peavy would agree to it"

I'm not holding my breath. The rest of the post is just the guy voicing what he'd like to see. There's also nothing at MadFriars.com (another Scout board) or their forums. MF is a good Padres site, and if there was smoke to this fire, they'd certainly be discussing it imo. The most recent Peavy discussions I can find are the talk of the Cubs deal being dead.

"'It doesn't look like anything is going to happen with the Cubs,' Towers said"

Link (12/11/08)

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

With the departure of Khalil Greene, it's obvious that they are looking for a long-term shortstop. The talks with the Braves always began with Yunel Escobar, and to be honest, there really are not a lot of teams with ML-ready shortstop prospects, especially to spare. If Peavy makes it known he would be amenable to a trade to Milwaukee, the Brewers need to get the deal done.

Well ultimately, there will have to be concessions made (options picked up, years added). It would behoove us to figure out the necessary concessions before tabulating what the offer should then be. If we have to give him 5yr/100M on top of his deal, we are probably giving up something different as opposed to if he simply wants us to decline his option years and allow himself to hit FA before 30.

I actually don't hope they give up Escobar+ for Peavy (assuming the rumor has merit). Don't get me wrong, he would slide right up there with Yo at the top of the rotation nicely, but away from Petco, he's a career 3.70 ERA pitcher. Certainly nothing to scoff at, but Petco has somewhat artificially made him an "elite" pitcher. Given that he seems like a decent teammate and a healthy pitcher, I don't think it's the end of the world if they'd deal Escobar for him, but I think his numbers would end up being much less impressive than we'd hope at Miller Park.

I actually don't hope they give up Escobar+ for Peavy (assuming the rumor has merit). Don't get me wrong, he would slide right up there with Yo at the top of the rotation nicely, but away from Petco, he's a career 3.70 ERA pitcher.

I wouldn't totally object to a Peavy deal either, but I keep thinking of the Mariners last year and Erik Bedard. They gave up Adam Jones, though he's a CF he's regarded a lot like Escobar, and some other pieces for him and then fell of a cliff, in part because he got hurt. It'd be worth pursuing, but I wouldn't give up too much for Peavy.

he's a career 3.70 ERA pitcher. Certainly nothing to scoff at, but Petco has somewhat artificially made him an "elite" pitcher. Given that he seems like a decent teammate and a healthy pitcher
If he pitched as a 3.70 ERA pitcher next year, I'd be satisfied. That is a top of the rotation type pitcher and well worth Escobar.

Picks? With our draft picks we can only hope they develop into players like Escobar, I'd rather give up the draft picks than the top prospects if I had the choice. (trade vs FA)

Regardless, considering our current SS situation and our need for a front line starter, I'd do Escobar + for Peavy

While PETCO has certainly helped Peavy I do not think it is fair to use his home/road splits, esspecially career h/r splits to project his future numbers. Alot of pitchers pitch better at home regardless of whether it is a hitters, or pitchers park, certainly PETCO helps but that might not be the entire story. Also those are his career numbers, so his 2003 season where he was merely above average goes equally into the equation with last years numbers, which is really not fair. There are many other factors that go into it which just cannot be acounted for.

If we are trying to figure out what kind of numbers he would put up in Milwaukee then using park adjusted numbers would be much more effective. In the end it probably does not matter much, because it is a bunk rumor.

If we could get Peavy without having to give up Parra or Jeffress I would be happy. Young pitching is the weak spot in our system so if we can keep those guys it would be great. Peavy, Yo, and Parra would be really nice for the next 3 years would be very nice. The linked rumor seems to be iffy but we can dream.

certainly PETCO helps but that might not be the entire story.

Certainly one can't just pinpoint Peavy as being disguised as an elite pitcher by PetCo, but at the same time I think it would just be unnecessarily stubborn to state that PetCo Park isn't an important element when it comes to assessing Peavy. He is a great pitcher that has had a decent amount of help from an offense-suppressing park over his career... and I'd love to see the Brewers add him.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I was not saying that PETCO was not a very big factor in his success. All I was trying to say was that Home/Road splits are no where near as effective as park adjusted stats, when trying to figure out how a player would fare on a different team, with a different home park.

Piccione is right, if Peavey was in Milwaukee, I'd expect his road ERA to continue to be 3.70, but his home ERA would be better than that. His contract is still a concern for me though. I don't move on Peavey until the Angels/Texeria thing is settled. I'm still hoping for a Fielder/Santana swap. I'd rather have Santana than Peavey.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Id worry that JJ Hardy it to good to make move like this. In other words, JJ is going to command major dollars on the FA market if he has two years similar to his last two and who would we have to fill that hole? Now that might be a problem we solve when it comes up in two years and dont worry about it now, but it would increase the payroll for Peavy's salary and JJ's increases.

Also, this rumor holds no credibility with me at all.

Archived