Brewer Fanatic

Jake Peavy

If it makes you guys feel any better, if we(Cubs) do land Peavy, we wont have the assets to pull off another major trade or signing for years to come
He does have a point, that is unless teams will want that Soriano contract http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is now a rumored 4 team deal with Cubs, Phillies, Orioles, and the Padres involved. All told the Cubs would be giving up Mark Derosa (To Philly), Felix Pie (To Baltimore) and Sean Marshall (To SD) to acquire Peavy. That seems like a lot IMO and it really does leave them with no depth whatsoever. However that would be one hell of a rotation if they perform to expectations. I can't imagine they are too wild about trading DeRosa though, he was a pretty big piece for them last year

This from the Chicago Sun Times:http://www.suntimes.com/s...852,CST-SPT-cub09.article

Cubs and Baltimore Orioles sources confirmed that one element of the deal is virtually set, with the Cubs sending outfield prospect Felix Pie to the Orioles for pitcher Garrett Olson, who would be shipped to San Diego in the Peavy swap. A second team, believed to be the Philadelphia Phillies, also could help beef up the package of prospects. The Phils reportedly have interest in Cubs utilityman Mark DeRosa.

Losing Mark Derosa would hurt there team. He was one of their top everyday players last year with Ramirez and Soto. He also can play almost every position if needed. That said the rest of what they are giving up is a joke and that rotation will be sick.

I have a major problem with this deal. How exactly are the Cubs with no farm system to speak of able to trade for the likes of Rich Harden and now Peavy who is an absolute ace starter for absolutely nothing. We had to give up a ton for a half season of CC but the Cubs give up squat for 3 years of Peavy. How are we gonna compete with the Cubs when they are adding Peavy and we are most likely losing Sheets and CC. This offseason is going disgustingly bad so far.

I have a major problem with this deal. How exactly are the Cubs with no farm system to speak of able to trade for the likes of Rich Harden and now Peavy who is an absolute ace starter for absolutely nothing. We had to give up a ton for a half season of CC but the Cubs give up squat for 3 years of Peavy. How are we gonna compete with the Cubs when they are adding Peavy and we are most likely losing Sheets and CC. This offseason is going disgustingly bad so far.

But we still have no idea who will be involved in this trade, or if it will actually happen. It is still very early, and there are lots of things that could still happen to make this a great off-season.

Also, I don't know how you can consider Vitters, DeRosa, Pie, and Sean Marshall nothing. DeRosa is a very solid player, and the others all have a chance to be good major league players.

you forgot to mention that we're gonna be forced to sign jon garland, too.

Per mlbtraderumors.com

2:25pm: The saga continues...Kevin Towers does not think this deal lost steam in the last 24 hours, according to Yahoo's Tim Brown and Gordon Edes. However, they say the Cubs are having second thoughts about this four-team mess. The Cubs source says the price is too steep for them right now and they're looking at another short-term option for the rotation (Randy Johnson maybe).

I really hope this is true as we all obviously dred the Cubs getting Peavy.

if the cubs get peavy, there is no chance they don't win the division. Peavy, zambrano, harden, dempster, and a #5 would be the best rotation in the majors.
Yeah - #5 would be Ted Lilly... easily the best #5 in baseball. He would probably be the Brewers #2.

Any way we can trade Fielder for Peavy (through a third team maybe)?
Peavy would have to approve any trade to the Brewers and there are no indications that would happen. With what the Cubs are giving up I do not think Fielder would need to be involved. This situation stinks because the Cubs are really the only team for the Padres to trade with so there is no way for them to drive the value up, because everyone knows their financial situation so they wont keep him.

What's really sad is that Brian Giles is killing the Padres. If they could trade him, they could keep Peavy, at least until the trade deadline, when Peavy could dictate the situation he would be thrown into.

As for the Brewers necessary offer for Peavy, I would think Cain/McClung/Jr. Gwynny/RP prospect (Aguilar or Pena) would be enough to get it done if it could get done. If Doug could talk Peavy and his rep. into this, I think we have the Executive of the Year.

Archived